Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default where to source cheap used desktop PCs?

On 21/08/2011 20:15, Simon Finnigan wrote:
The Natural wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
Hmmm....
15" TFT... 50W
Old PC.... 65W = 0.115kW @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £50.37
15" CRT... 65W
Old PC... 65W = 0.130kW @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £56.94
Thinkpad X60 T1300 = 0.012W @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £5.26
Of course if the machine is only used 2hrs a day the comparison
becomes void - just something to consider with cheap machines and
cheap CRT (particularly larger CRT which can get quite power hungry).

Indeed. Faced with the demise of my server I bit the bullet and went for
an Intel ATOM based machine and a pair of 500gig drives..

At a shade over £200 it will pay for itself in 4 years on reduced electricity costs alone..

So my advice is to buy a new case, disks RAM and motherboard, and use
whatever keyboards and screens you can find.

I also found that for legacy windows Apps, a virtual machine on a faster
modern computer is a better performing brute than a native but old power guzzling machine.

And it keeps the clutter off the desktop.

I've ended up with one of the HP micro servers, I reckon it'll pay for
itself within a couple of years compared to the server it's replaced.

depends on how much you paid for it; and whether you're on a diesel
powered genny