Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green sand

Why do they put green sand in mains water supplies when they make
changes to the supply?

There are a lot of gadgets which use solenoid-controlled water valves
etc. which may leak if grit gets in, and/or have filters which can
become blocked.

So why? Not because they want to force DIY work, I'm sure.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 6:34*pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
Why do they put green sand in mains water supplies when they make
changes to the supply?

There are a lot of gadgets which use solenoid-controlled water valves
etc. which may leak if grit gets in, and/or have filters which can
become blocked.

So why? Not because they want to force DIY work, I'm sure.

--
Windmill, * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Use *t m i l l
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * @ O n e t e l
J.R.R. Tolkien: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * . c o m

I'm very likely to be wrong, but I believe that the green sand is
actually crushed glass, which
is used to remove deposits from the walls of the pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 18:34:28 +0100, Windmill
wrote:

Why do they put green sand in mains water supplies when they make
changes to the supply?

There are a lot of gadgets which use solenoid-controlled water valves
etc. which may leak if grit gets in, and/or have filters which can
become blocked.

So why? Not because they want to force DIY work, I'm sure.

I had no idea what you were going on about. Assumed it wasn't from the
Lower Greensand Ridge - or whatever. And found this:

Manganese Greensand Iron Removal Filter

The AMPAC USA Iron-Manganese Green Sand Filter is designed to remove high
levels of Iron up to 20 ppm, sulfur/hydrogen sulfide (H2S or Rotten-egg
odor) up to 15 ppm, manganese, lead, silt, turbidity, and other trace
amounts of metals such as copper, arsenic, and uranium

The AMPAC USA Iron-Manganese Green Sand Filter uses a high quality
manganese greensand media. The system is usually installed on the main
water line feeding the whole house.

Green Sand Filter Media oxidize Raw Water Supply by causing precipitation,
trapping iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide present in your water supply
resulting in a clean, filtered water flow to your household.

The Green Sand Media is periodically regenerated automatically using
potassium permanganate. The system comes with the Potassium Permanganate
Tank. (Removal per Cubic Foot)

http://www.ampacpure.com/iron_removal_filter_IM10

Which is probably entirely irrelevant but interesting in its own way.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Fuxit writes:
On Aug 20, 6:34*pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
Why do they put green sand in mains water supplies when they make
changes to the supply?

There are a lot of gadgets which use solenoid-controlled water valves
etc. which may leak if grit gets in, and/or have filters which can
become blocked.

So why? Not because they want to force DIY work, I'm sure.

--
Windmill, * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Use *t m i l l
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * @ O n e t e l
J.R.R. Tolkien: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * . c o m

I'm very likely to be wrong, but I believe that the green sand is
actually crushed glass, which
is used to remove deposits from the walls of the pipe.

It may be backfill placed around the pipe in the ground, which can
get in if the pipe had had to be repaired in place. There is no
market for recycled glass, so it's ground up and used instead of
sand in many situations, as a way of burying it in the ground
without attracting landfill tax (until the EU cottons on to this
loophole, anyway).

--
Andrew Gabriel