Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Taking the glass out of aluminium widows

I have an aluminium window whose espag locking mechanism needs
replacing. It is currently locked shut and I think that the only way
to open it will be to remove the glass and force the espag levers to
an open position. The actual mechnism that the handle goes in is
missing and it is only the arms that are holding it shut.

The double glazed unit is held in place with rubber seals. Can someone
please advise on how to remove it (without breaking the glass) tips on
putting it back would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2011 17:55, Jonathan wrote:
I have an aluminium window whose espag locking mechanism needs
replacing. It is currently locked shut and I think that the only way
to open it will be to remove the glass and force the espag levers to
an open position. The actual mechnism that the handle goes in is
missing and it is only the arms that are holding it shut.

The double glazed unit is held in place with rubber seals. Can someone
please advise on how to remove it (without breaking the glass) tips on
putting it back would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jonathan

The usual method of fitting the units is as follows:

The double glazed unit is inserted from the outside. It is held in by
snap-in aluminium beads which have a rubber gasket in contact with the
glass. Then, from the *inside* the double glazed unit is pushed outwards
as far as possible, and a further strip of gasket inserted all the way
round, inside - using something like a paint scraper. This locks the
beads in place and prevents them from being removed.

So, to take the unit out, you first have to remove the inside gaskets.
You can then push the unit inwards by a small amount, which enables the
beads to be removed.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced that removing the unit will make
the mechanism any more accessible.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Roger Mills wrote:

On 14/08/2011 17:55, Jonathan wrote:
I have an aluminium window whose espag locking mechanism needs
replacing. It is currently locked shut and I think that the only way
to open it will be to remove the glass and force the espag levers to
an open position. The actual mechnism that the handle goes in is
missing and it is only the arms that are holding it shut.
Jonathan

Snip
So, to take the unit out, you first have to remove the inside gaskets.
You can then push the unit inwards by a small amount, which enables the
beads to be removed.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced that removing the unit will make
the mechanism any more accessible.

With the unit out you should be able to drill a hole in the bottom
rail to allow a suitable lever to operate the mechanism.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 11:50*pm, John Bryan wrote:

[...]

[...]