Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan John Bryan is offline

Default Taking the glass out of aluminium widows

In message
Roger Mills wrote:

On 14/08/2011 17:55, Jonathan wrote:
I have an aluminium window whose espag locking mechanism needs
replacing. It is currently locked shut and I think that the only way
to open it will be to remove the glass and force the espag levers to
an open position. The actual mechnism that the handle goes in is
missing and it is only the arms that are holding it shut.
Jonathan

Snip
So, to take the unit out, you first have to remove the inside gaskets.
You can then push the unit inwards by a small amount, which enables the
beads to be removed.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced that removing the unit will make
the mechanism any more accessible.

With the unit out you should be able to drill a hole in the bottom
rail to allow a suitable lever to operate the mechanism.
--
John