Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glueing leather to felt ...

I have a nice pair of felt slippers, made to measure for me. Don't
need them now, of-course, but winter time, on the tiled floors we have,
they're really good!

However, the soles are a bit thin... Now, I have some nice soft shoe
leather (off-cuts from the local handmade show shop - has shiny side and
a rough side) and I was thinking of cutting some foot shapes and glueing
them to the felt, but I'm a bit clueless as to what type of glue to use
(and if this is indeed a sensible idea!)

In-Theory, I can get them re-soled by the person who made, them, but
as they only lasted one season, it doesn't seem worthwhile, hence the
desire for putting a tougher sole on them...

So any suggestions, ideas, etc? I'm thinking it'll need something
really flexible - which probably rules out the usual glues I have
(2-part epoxy, PVA)

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-05, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I have a nice pair of felt slippers, made to measure for me. Don't
need them now, of-course, but winter time, on the tiled floors we have,
they're really good!

However, the soles are a bit thin... Now, I have some nice soft shoe
leather (off-cuts from the local handmade show shop - has shiny side and
a rough side) and I was thinking of cutting some foot shapes and glueing
them to the felt, but I'm a bit clueless as to what type of glue to use
(and if this is indeed a sensible idea!)

In-Theory, I can get them re-soled by the person who made, them, but
as they only lasted one season, it doesn't seem worthwhile, hence the
desire for putting a tougher sole on them...

So any suggestions, ideas, etc? I'm thinking it'll need something
really flexible - which probably rules out the usual glues I have
(2-part epoxy, PVA)

I've done this exact thing with good old-fashioned contact adhesive - the
one glue sniffers are so fond of (senior moment; I'm damned if I can
recall what it's called!)

Evostik!

thixofix? ammonia smelling latex glue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug 2011 13:44:56 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've done this exact thing with good old-fashioned contact adhesive - the
one glue sniffers are so fond of (senior moment; I'm damned if I can
recall what it's called!)

Evostik!

The current stuff isn't a patch on (No pun intended) what it used to
be. It used to contain Toluene.

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
[...]

Evostick is good.
You don't want toglue anything too stiff to your felt.You'll find that
excessively stiff leather will rip the felt.
You want a soft flexible leather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2011 14:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:
[...]

"Shoe Goo" holds my fell-shoes together so slippers should be a doddle.
It's a very strong, very flexible contact adhesive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
On 2011-08-05, Huge wrote:
On 2011-08-05, Gordon Henderson wrote:
[...]

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it
in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years,
there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together
black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

Thanks. (And yes, the leather I have is fairly soft, so hopefully
shouldn't pull the felt apart!)

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 07:33:37 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

Evostik!

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it
in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years,
there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together
black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

That could have been BoStik.

Frequently used to glue the black rubber surrounds that retain caravan
windows back in. These things continually strain and re-open the
joints as the glue sets.

Thanks. (And yes, the leather I have is fairly soft, so hopefully
shouldn't pull the felt apart!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Evostik!

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it
in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years,
there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together
black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

That could have been BoStik.

ISTR that there several variaties of Bostick.

Bostick no. 1 was a clear glue.
No. 2 was possibly an impact adhesive broadly similar to Evostik.
No. 4 (or perhaps 5) was long strips of (whiteish?) rubbery
claggum/sealant, and no. 6 was black tarrey-looking gunge.

I'm probably totally wrong about the numbers apart from 1 & 6.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Evostik!

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it
in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years,
there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together
black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

That could have been BoStik.

ISTR that there several variaties of Bostick.

Bostick no. 1 was a clear glue.
No. 2 was possibly an impact adhesive broadly similar to Evostik.
No. 4 (or perhaps 5) was long strips of (whiteish?) rubbery
claggum/sealant, and no. 6 was black tarrey-looking gunge.

I'm probably totally wrong about the numbers apart from 1 & 6.

:-)

Possibly. I don't think the outcome varied much no matter which you
used. ;-)

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Evostik!

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it
in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years,
there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together
black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

That could have been BoStik.

Really Black Witch!

e.g.

http://www.surfmountain.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=42

There was also a 2-part we used to stick latex neck seals to neoprene
suits, but I decided to leave that to those who knew what they were
doing.. That may have been a Bostik product though.. Ah, dredging my
memory, Bostik 2402!

But EvoStik is probably easer to get hold of locally.

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 2:12*pm, Gordon Henderson wrot
what type of glue to use

Evo-stik 528 - nearest you can get to the old red & black Generally
good for this, but you have to use it carefully - time it when open
until tacky, then press together and leave squashed together for a
while.

Evo-stik Timebond. Much nicer to use. Possibly more flexible too. My
new favourite for this sort of flexible leatherwork.

Polyurethane glue. What cobblers use. Hard to find (NOT woodworker's
PU). Comes in small tubes with rubber sole repair kits from Woolies,
or in gallon cans from mail-order cobbler suppliers. The business for
serious rigid leatherwork and the only thing for putting soles onto
shoes for real outdoor use.

I'd perhaps suggest asking a local cobbler to fix it in place for you
(for a reasonable price). Timpsons are surprisingly flexible on this
sort of job, if you have a good store manager.

'Glueing' a lap Arthur 51 UK diy 6 August 21st 09 11:19 AM
Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
Glueing ply to ply ??????? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 31st 04 04:03 PM