Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Glueing' a lap

Hi all.
I have 4" x 2" tanalith timbers I've used at the perimiter
(lying flat) of my shed base and they are connected at the corrners
with
lap joints. I had to break apart 2 of the joints to resize the base
and now have to fix them together again. And as it happens I used a
hack and f*ck
it method of carpentary so the mating faces of the joints don't do
much mating.
Glueing seems like not a good idea. So can bog standard exterior
filler or
even car body filler be a better way of 'glueing' these joints?
Or something else?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I have 4" x 2" tanalith timbers I've used at the perimiter
(lying flat) of my shed base and they are connected at the corrners
with
lap joints. I had to break apart 2 of the joints to resize the base
and now have to fix them together again. And as it happens I used a
hack and f*ck
it method of carpentary so the mating faces of the joints don't do
much mating.
Glueing seems like not a good idea. So can bog standard exterior
filler or
even car body filler be a better way of 'glueing' these joints?
Or something else?

Thanks.

Arthur

There is a gap filling adhesive available, I forget the name, look
around your local shed.
Cheers Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

Glueing seems like not a good idea. So can bog standard exterior
filler or
even car body filler be a better way of 'glueing' these joints?
Or something else?

I'd use polyurethane glue, it expands and foams when you apply it to gap
fill, but make sure the joints are clamped up as tightly as possible to
prevent it forcing them apart:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd3198/p52489
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 01:45:07 -0700 (PDT), Arthur 51
wrote:

Hi all.
I have 4" x 2" tanalith timbers I've used at the perimiter
(lying flat) of my shed base and they are connected at the corrners
with
lap joints. I had to break apart 2 of the joints to resize the base
and now have to fix them together again. And as it happens I used a
hack and f*ck
it method of carpentary so the mating faces of the joints don't do
much mating.
Glueing seems like not a good idea. So can bog standard exterior
filler or
even car body filler be a better way of 'glueing' these joints?
Or something else?

Nether of those will add any strength to the joint (though "joint"
seems a bit of an overstatement:-) If it's mechanically stable use
nails or screws. If it isn't (though I can't see why it should want
to go anywhere unless you've REALLY botched the joint) I think you'll
just have to buy new wood and do it again properly.

If you want to make it look pretty with filler, that's up to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glues will only work with lots of contact area, and that area needs to
be in the sheer plane, not effectively a butt joint.

Polyurethane glues once foamed up have much reduced strength - it's
only in the areas tightly clamped up that they offer strength.

Epoxies will gap fill *and* be strong - but it still doesn't sound
like the contact area is sufficient.

Fillers have no significant adhesive properties.

External steel angle brackets might be a viable solution.

Otherwise slice off the mess and either replace the whole thing or
properly joint on new timber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I intended to strengthen the joint with 3 or 4 screws as well as
'glueing'.
The filler option seems right in order to gap fill to prevent water
getting inside the joint to undermine it.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 02:48:06 -0700 (PDT), Arthur 51
wrote:

If you want to make it look pretty with filler, that's up to you.

I intended to strengthen the joint with 3 or 4 screws as well as
'glueing'.
The filler option seems right in order to gap fill to prevent water
getting inside the joint to undermine it.

OK, so you're asking about filling, not gluing.

The general rule is that it's better to provide drainage than attempt
sealing.

Glueing corners Eigenvector Woodworking 2 September 14th 08 04:20 AM
glueing a window newman Home Repair 1 April 21st 07 02:44 AM
Glueing up a chair dgadams Woodworking 12 December 3rd 05 02:18 AM
Glueing fibreglass Andrew Gabriel UK diy 9 August 31st 05 07:57 PM
Glueing ply to ply ??????? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 31st 04 04:03 PM