Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair BT Diverse 4016 base unit?

The base unit (the master unit with the answering machine) for my BT
Diverse 4016 has developed erratic behaviour. None of the handsets could
contact it, including its own, and there was no ring tone. Switching
off, waiting and switching on again restored it for a few minutes (with
power on the charging pins) and then it died again.

What is a likely cause of the problem? Can it be repaired, is it worth
doing so, and where can it be done? I'm in South Bedfordshire.

I made the mistake of ordering a new one from Homephones Direct as it
was the only place I could find one at the time. They told me that Royal
Mail had sent it back to them as undelivered. Seeing as SWMBO and I work
from home, the address I gave them was correct, and any undelivered
items can be collected from the local post office, it's all vary fishy.
Had I known then about them what I know now...
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2011 15:52, Ramsman wrote:
The base unit (the master unit with the answering machine) for my BT
Diverse 4016 has developed erratic behaviour. None of the handsets could
contact it, including its own, and there was no ring tone. Switching
off, waiting and switching on again restored it for a few minutes (with
power on the charging pins) and then it died again.

What is a likely cause of the problem?

Capacitors dying, fails to smooth out supply rails, RF stage takes a sip
of power to transmit and then the micro crashes...

Can it be repaired, is it worth
doing so,

How old is it?

and where can it be done? I'm in South Bedfordshire.

Probably not cost effective to pay someone, unless that someone doesn't
work on repair shop rates. i.e. kindly hobbyist, Ham etc...

One answer recently given on sci.electronics.repair on cost effective
methods on mending defective electronic items, rationalised the whole
diagnoisis & repair process to a few easy non-technical steps ...

1. Put the item away,
2. Flip Burgers for a week,
3. then buy a new one[1] ...

Now where was that burger shop?

[1] the following set I'm well impressed with ...

Panasonic KX-TG6524EB DECT Quad Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer
Machine
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LPTAP2

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2011 20:32, Adrian C wrote:
On 02/08/2011 15:52, Ramsman wrote:
The base unit (the master unit with the answering machine) for my BT
Diverse 4016 has developed erratic behaviour. None of the handsets could
contact it, including its own, and there was no ring tone. Switching
off, waiting and switching on again restored it for a few minutes (with
power on the charging pins) and then it died again.

What is a likely cause of the problem?

Capacitors dying, fails to smooth out supply rails, RF stage takes a sip
of power to transmit and then the micro crashes...

Only two discrete capacitors on an SMT PCB. No visible signs of failure.

Can it be repaired, is it worth
doing so,

How old is it?

I was surprised when I looked it up - it was bought nine years ago. The
original master base unit was replaced at some stage in the meantime, so
they seem not to have an endless useful life.

and where can it be done? I'm in South Bedfordshire.

Probably not cost effective to pay someone, unless that someone doesn't
work on repair shop rates. i.e. kindly hobbyist, Ham etc...

One answer recently given on sci.electronics.repair on cost effective
methods on mending defective electronic items, rationalised the whole
diagnoisis & repair process to a few easy non-technical steps ...

1. Put the item away,
2. Flip Burgers for a week,
3. then buy a new one[1] ...

Now where was that burger shop?

[1] the following set I'm well impressed with ...

Panasonic KX-TG6524EB DECT Quad Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer
Machine
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LPTAP2

Nice, but as our present set-up already has 152 numbers in it, a
100-number phone book won't be much use. I really must cull some of the
redundant numbers one day. Now where's that round tuit?

Looks like I'll have either to find a compatible base unit, or bite the
bullet and replace the entire system. I'd rather do the former as the
phones themselves have lots of useful features and are still performing
100%.
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ramsman" wrote in message
[...]

ebay for a 2nd hand replacement?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2011 08:20, Jim K wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That's the first place I looked, SOP. There was nothing there at the
time, about a month ago, but now some units have appeared. Still a few
days to go till they end, but as usual people have started bidding already.

--
Peter

4016/4066 bistable. ian field[_2_] Electronic Schematics 46 August 8th 09 03:04 AM
services under 1000mm base unit sm_jamieson UK diy 0 May 8th 08 04:40 PM
Kitchen base unit fitting Gogs UK diy 4 December 16th 05 05:59 PM
Leaving Handset Phone off the Base Unit [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 25th 05 04:52 PM
Honeywell Smartfit Base Unit Problems RossG UK diy 2 December 22nd 04 02:06 AM