Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solvent weld lifespan

Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it
have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it
have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

Andrew

test it on offcut.

if its still liquid it should work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it
have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

I don't know about the actual life, but the tin I bought (5 years ago)
had an expiry warning of about 12 months.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 10:38*pm, Andrew May wrote:
Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it
have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

Andrew

You'll probably find it has turned to jelly in the tin. If not it
will be OK.

The one thing to watch out for is there are PVC and ABS plastics.
Some sovents work on both, some don't, read the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Andrew May wrote:
Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it
have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

I don't know about the actual life, but the tin I bought (5 years ago)
had an expiry warning of about 12 months.

Dad has a tin of Tensol Cement (solvent weld for perspex) which says
best before Aug 1969. It still worked when I last used it a couple of
years ago.

I think with solvent weld, it's all down to having enough solvent left
in the glue. Some solvent welds are just solvent, others have some of
the intended substance dissolved in them too, to act as a bit of a filler.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:38:46 +0100
Andrew May wrote:

Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld
solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does
it have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two
joints?

Andrew

I had a similar tin. I tried a test joint with it. No problem at all,
I broke the pipe rather than the joint, then I cut the joint and
examined the mating surfaces - good weld.

R.

Using solvent weld rbel[_2_] UK diy 9 May 29th 11 03:25 PM
Solvent weld - is is easy? John UK diy 16 October 28th 10 01:16 PM
solvent weld bends Fred UK diy 5 August 16th 09 09:18 PM
Solvent weld is solvent weld, right? Pete Verdon UK diy 23 August 12th 09 06:21 PM
Solvent Weld Joint Re-use Mark Trueman UK diy 16 May 17th 05 02:56 PM