Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Square bar for door handles

I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware
stores sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...

Our local B&Q stock it in 1m lengths

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several

hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for

other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

Tim,

Pop down to the farm and I'll give you a bit - it's ony 1/4" square
stock

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 7:03*am, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:30:45 +0100, andrew wrote:

Our local B&Q stock it in 1m lengths

AJH

That's some b****y door !

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several

hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for

other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

Tim,

Pop down to the farm and I'll give you a bit - it's ony 1/4" square
stock

Andrew

Kind offer Andrew - thanks, but I ordered a few in different lenghts on ebay
already (a couple of quid each inc P&P, depending on length).

It was just *very* surprising that no hardward store (proper ones, sort of)
kept them, despite selling mortice locks...

I got a few as I suspect other handles in the house have ****ite bars too...

The shops tried were Robertsbridge (Alan's) - to be fair, he's only just
branched into hardware, it's mostly a bike shop - but he does keep good
stuff; the farmers and hardware store up the road (lump of steel for yer
tractor, not probs, hinges, locks, handles but no bar); Dyas near Covent
Garden and a random but old style hardware shop on the Strand...

Dare say B&Q would have them (or at least plain bar) but that involves an
hour's round trip...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Tim wrote in message
news
[...]

It is only Scrooges like us that need it Tim.
A new piece comes with shiny new door furniture and it takes a long time
to wear out!!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:13:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several

hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for

other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

Tim,

Pop down to the farm and I'll give you a bit - it's ony 1/4" square
stock

Andrew

If you were to use mild steel for this, you'd be well advised to
case-harden it (after cutting to length!), otherwise it'll inevitably
twist after long repeated use , and be very difficult to remove from
the lock/latch mechanism.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:13:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several

hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for

other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

Tim,

Pop down to the farm and I'll give you a bit - it's ony 1/4" square
stock

Andrew

If you were to use mild steel for this, you'd be well advised to
case-harden it (after cutting to length!), otherwise it'll inevitably
twist after long repeated use , and be very difficult to remove from
the lock/latch mechanism.

Glad I ordered "proper" ones now

Yes - the ****ite bar had done this just before it finally fractured...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 09:24, " wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:03*am, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...
--
Tim Watts

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/

Specifically, http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...le_Accessories
(no connection apart from satisfied customer)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware
stores sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...

Screwdriver and and neighbours door?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:38:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
[...]

There's a hardware store (or used to be) on Southampton Row, between High
Holborn and Sicilian Avenue...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2011 07:03, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several hardware stores
sell them.

Neither in my village or central London. Do they never break for other
people (well, mine was made of ****ite, not steel)...

Oh well, ebay to the rescue...

The stuff to buy for that job is key steel, usually from an engineers'
supplies place.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

There's a hardware store (or used to be) on Southampton Row, between High
Holborn and Sicilian Avenue...

That's 10 mins from my office - ta Bob, I'll seek it out for future
things...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/11 14:00, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:38:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Tim wrote in message
news I'm totally amazed - not a single likely shop out of several
[...]

That would be Buck and Ryan, a very good traditional toolshop, full of
top quality stuff that I can't afford, I often go there for a browse at
lunchtime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:41:56 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

There's a hardware store (or used to be) on Southampton Row, between
High Holborn and Sicilian Avenue...

That's 10 mins from my office - ta Bob, I'll seek it out for future
things...

Knew it would be near...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap writes:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:30:45 +0100, andrew wrote:

Our local B&Q stock it in 1m lengths

AJH

That's some b****y door !

First house I bought, before I'd even moved in, I popped in one evening
just to make sure it was still there (still full of the wonderful
feeling that I can hardly believe I just bought it, or at least, the
Woolwich had just bought it;-).

Anyway, nipped into the bathroom and closed the door whilst having a pee.
Not sure why, as there was no one else in the house.
Anyway, on trying to come out, I found the door handle didn't work - it
didn't operate the latch. I was stuck in the bathroom, and no one knew
I was there!

The only tool in the room was a pair of nail clippers. I pulled them
apart, and one of the bits of metal would just about engage with the
door handle screws, which I managed to unscrew.

Then it was obvious what was wrong - the square bar was too short and
when I had closed the door, it had moved into the outside handle, with
only about 1mm still sticking out of the lock. Thought for a moment.
Nail clippers couldn't get enough purchase to pull the rod back.
So I used the nail clippers to disassemble the handle, so I had the
handle without the back plate. The handle could just grip the 1mm of
rod which was exposed, which I did very carefully so as not to push it
in any further. Actually, it turned out it wouldn't go in any further,
but I didn't know that until I got the door open.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2011-07-14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Anyway, nipped into the bathroom and closed the door whilst having a pee.
Not sure why, as there was no one else in the house.
Anyway, on trying to come out, I found the door handle didn't work - it
didn't operate the latch. I was stuck in the bathroom, and no one knew
I was there!

BTDT.

Me too. Was decorating bathroom and removed handles to paint door.
Closed door, handle outside. Door opened outward, so kicked hard at lock
area. Rather more redecorating required than I originally intended

--
djc

which door handles benpost UK diy 11 March 23rd 09 06:45 PM
How to mount door handles? miamicuse Home Repair 5 June 23rd 07 12:32 AM
Door handles Nel UK diy 3 May 8th 07 06:34 PM
brass door handles TheOldFellow UK diy 1 January 6th 07 01:35 PM
Door Handles Charles Middleton UK diy 6 January 4th 06 12:59 PM