Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default dirt/grease on good clothes

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Baz Baz is offline

"john brook" wrote in message
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Angle Grinder!!!!!!!!!!

Baz

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Baz wrote:
"john brook" wrote in message
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand
cleaner; and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Angle Grinder!!!!!!!!!!

Baz

spray brake cleaner is very good for this situation, back the stain with old
towel and spray the black gunk through the material.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 7/8/11 5:01 AM, john brook wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

My Mom used to use gasoline to scrub the grease. That was on work
clothes. Would dishwashing detergent do any good?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

*You could try a professional dry cleaner, but since it's been washed and
dried already the stain is now set as you said and extremely difficult to
remove.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:01*am, "john brook" wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further suggestions.

Paraffin, diesel or heating oil will dissolve car grease and grime,
leaving washing powder to deal with the dirt. You can even, if you
dont mind voiding any and all warranties, stick a spoonful of diesel
into the wash with the powder. This doesnt do the dyes used in jeans
any favours.

NT
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 08/07/2011 12:17, John Grabowski wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner;
and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

*You could try a professional dry cleaner, but since it's been washed
and dried already the stain is now set as you said and extremely
difficult to remove.

Try Vanish - the soild stick you rub in before washing. SWMBO swears by
it but IIRC has not used it in this situation

Malcolm
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

I've had good results with Simple Green. Spray it on the
stain. Fold the clothes over, and rub the stain a few
seconds. Wash the usual way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"john brook" wrote in message
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good
trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand
cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the
Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any
further suggestions.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Acetylene cutting torch -- oxidizing flame. Lots of oxygen.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Baz" wrote in message

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any
further suggestions.

Angle Grinder!!!!!!!!!!

Baz

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john brook" wrote in
:

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner;
and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Hand-cleaner may not be the appropriate substance for you: there are
commercial stain-removers on the market. "Shout!" is one I've had very good
success with, even with car-grease stains that have been through the wash.
My wife just bought something called "Resolve", which seems to work just
about as well.

The trick is to let the stain soak in copious amounts of the remover, then
scrub the cloth between your hands like a 19th-Century washerwoman. It does
require lots of scrubbing from different angles and leaving the cloth to
soak in the remover in-between scrubs.
You're not scubbing particularly hard, mind you; the work is done by the
action of agitation in the presence of lots of remover. The remover seems
to suspend the dirt in a sort of emulsion, allowing water to wash it away
afterwards. When you wash out the stain, you do that by hand as well, using
agitation while under the faucet. Fragile cloth may pill using this method,
but most articles of clothing I've had to wash this way come out like new.

--
Tegger

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 8, 6:14*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Baz wrote:
"john brook" wrote in message
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand
cleaner; and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Angle Grinder!!!!!!!!!!

Baz

spray brake cleaner is very good for this situation, back the stain with old
towel and spray the black gunk through the material.

+1 - this has actually worked for me before.

For ink stains on dress shirts, cheap hairspray alternated w/ rubbing
alcohol.

nate
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in
:

"Shout!"

I just noticed on the maker's Website that the brand name "Shout" does not
possess an exclamation mark.

--
Tegger
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2011 6:01 AM, john brook wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Not much beyond soap and solvent suggestions of others.
You've essentially dyed the cotton in the fabric by precipitating dirt
in pores of water opened fiber and polys can be opened by grease to let
pigments in. Hopefully stain will fade with continued washing.
I keep old clothes around for garage and outside work having learned
this lesson years ago.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john brook wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand
cleaner; and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Repeat what you did, but let it "soak" the hand cleaner in overnight.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 3:01*am, "john brook" wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further suggestions.

Aerosol SHOUT (if you can still find it)

I had a power supply squirt hydraulic fluid on a pair of light
colored pants.

I washed them twice pre-treating with Aerosol SHOUT and the stain was
gone.

cheers
Bob
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Baz wrote:
"john brook" wrote in message
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand
cleaner; and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Angle Grinder!!!!!!!!!!

Baz

spray brake cleaner is very good for this situation, back the stain with
old towel and spray the black gunk through the material.

A very big angle grinder will work. Wear pants whilst using.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Gz Gz is offline

On Jul 8, 6:01*am, "john brook" wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further suggestions.

Sometimes I spray wd40, rub it in, then spray with greased lightning,
work it in, throw in wash with more soap.

Greg
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john brook" wrote in
:

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner;
and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

Seagull ****. Removes anything from anything.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john brook" wrote in
:

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The
usual trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner;
and then detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in
deep enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further
suggestions.

You got a lot of suggestions so far. Might as well toss in another.

Spot Shot carpet cleaner has done some remarkable stain removing of
various things on carpets for me. Even smells like the crap they use in pro
cleaners.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Another WAG thought. Don't know what it will do to the material but carb
cleaner removes decades old stuff. Of course, that's on metal and not
material. The Spot Shot at least is made for material.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john brook wrote the following:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Buy all your clothes from L. L. Bean. They have a lifetime replacement
policy for damages caused by anything.
A friend of mine had a dress shirt replaced when an ink pen leaked into
the pocket.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 3:01*am, "john brook" wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further suggestions.

Lots of well-intended home remedy suggestions.

Save yourself some agony by taking "good trousers" to a reputable
cleaner. Ask them if there's a way to get the **** out. If not,
chalk up to experience.

HB
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2011 10:01 PM, john brook wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Look on the bright side: you now have an extra pair of work trousers.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 7:46*pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 7/8/2011 10:01 PM, john brook wrote:

Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. *The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. *Grateful for any further suggestions.

Look on the bright side: you now have an extra pair of work trousers.

I would try a mixture of Naptha and paint remover and a little Tide
mixed toegether and scrubbed into the stain, Scub it into the stain
from both the front and the back sides of the cloth. I usually use a
clean old toothbrush to do this. Let it set for at least 5 minutes,
rescrub and then wash out with warm water, let dry and see if it has
improved. If no improvement, your local dry cleaner is your last
hope. If some improvement is noted, repeat the process above.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 3:01 am, "john brook" wrote:
Got some black dirt/grease off the car, on to my good trousers. The usual
trick which solves it, is to work in some Swarfega hand cleaner; and then
detergent and warm water washes it away.

My problem is that being in a hurry i did not work the Swarfega in deep
enough or well enough, and then went on to wash it.

So its now 'set' into the trousers. Grateful for any further suggestions.

Lots of well-intended home remedy suggestions.

Save yourself some agony by taking "good trousers" to a reputable
cleaner. Ask them if there's a way to get the **** out. If not,
chalk up to experience.

If not as above poster says then go at it big time with anything you can
find as nothing to lose.
And then chalk it up to experience.

Old Duckhams LB10 grease - still good? Jack X UK diy 5 May 5th 09 08:50 AM
Most effective grease removal from clothes? brassplyer Home Ownership 20 January 14th 09 12:06 AM
What is a good way to move compacted dirt? ** Frank ** Home Repair 4 June 21st 07 04:09 AM
What is good for removing kitchen grease from ventilator ductwork ?? Peter Home Repair 11 September 2nd 05 11:44 PM
Gas clothes dryer not heating good Danny Kewl Home Ownership 5 February 22nd 05 04:03 AM