Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Old Duckhams LB10 grease - still good?

I found an old 500g tin of Duckhams L.B.10 grease in my garage.

(1) Would my old LB10 have deteriorated over its 20 years? Perhaps
there's been some internal breakdown or water is absorbed?

(2) I use the LB10 as a general purpose grease around the car and
around the house. Have better all-round general-purpose greases
become available which effectively replaces LB10? Maybe I should
get some of that, if so.

(3) For household use, would Vaseline be just as good if I can't
lay my hands on the tin of LB10 at the moment I'm looking for some
lube? (I get the vague impression that vaseline would get squeezed
out from between 2 surfaces much more easily than LB10.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

(1) Would my old LB10 have deteriorated over its 20 years? Perhaps
there's been some internal breakdown or water is absorbed?

If it's lid is intact why would it "absorb" water?

(2) I use the LB10 as a general purpose grease around the car and
around the house. Have better all-round general-purpose greases
become available which effectively replaces LB10? Maybe I should
get some of that, if so.

If it stil lubricates what you need it to then it's fine surely?

(3) For household use, would Vaseline be just as good if I can't
lay my hands on the tin of LB10 at the moment I'm looking for some
lube? (I get the vague impression that vaseline would get squeezed
out from between 2 surfaces much more easily than LB10.)

KY................YKIMS

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Jack X wrote:
I found an old 500g tin of Duckhams L.B.10 grease in my garage.

(1) Would my old LB10 have deteriorated over its 20 years? Perhaps
there's been some internal breakdown or water is absorbed?

(2) I use the LB10 as a general purpose grease around the car and
around the house. Have better all-round general-purpose greases
become available which effectively replaces LB10? Maybe I should
get some of that, if so.

(3) For household use, would Vaseline be just as good if I can't
lay my hands on the tin of LB10 at the moment I'm looking for some
lube? (I get the vague impression that vaseline would get squeezed
out from between 2 surfaces much more easily than LB10.)

Old grease loses some of its fluid properties and goes nearer to candle wax
in consistency. For something non important it will be fine (greasing
towballs and the like), but buy a new tin for anything important like grease
nipples and wheel bearings. All oil and grease has gained quite a few
improvements over the last few years as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
om...
Jack X wrote:
[...]

Ah! Memories of taking the grease gun on holiday with me to grease the king
pins of my old Beetle. First job after the drive from Midlands to Cornwall
was to jack it up and grease it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Jack X coughed up some electrons that declared:

(3) For household use, would Vaseline be just as good if I can't
lay my hands on the tin of LB10 at the moment I'm looking for some
lube? (I get the vague impression that vaseline would get squeezed
out from between 2 surfaces much more easily than LB10.)

I use plain old LM grease for misc jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

John wrote:

Ah! Memories of taking the grease gun on holiday with me to grease the king
pins of my old Beetle. First job after the drive from Midlands to Cornwall
was to jack it up and grease it.

Indeed! Mine was, apparently, originally made in South Africa in
1971, and was a bit behind the European model changes. IIRC the
greasing interval was 1500 miles.

Another fun job was changing the spark plugs - on the 1500 engine
you needed a plug spanner that would take the tommy bar at 45
degrees.

Then there was the heater designed so that, if it was going to
stick, it would do so fully on.

My only success was once getting an exhaust fitted free - they
took all day and had to change a stud.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK