Senior Member

Default Best metal drill bit set

Can someone point me to the best metal drill bit set available?

I am considering the DeWalt DT7926XJ Extreme 2, DeWalt DT7926XJ Extreme 2 Metal Drillbit Drill Bit Set on eBay (end time 08-Jul-11 10:20:17 BST)

is it better to go for a cobalt set?

If so, which one?

I have also come across Prototal, www.prototal.ca Has anybody used their bits?

I want quality, durability and speed of cut. Price is less of an issue.

Thanks,

Antonio

Last edited by asalcedo : July 6th 11 at 07:31 PM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BST)' (http://tinyurl.com/43hze2n)

--
asalcedo

Best is probably a proper engineering brand that you don't see in the
high st - only at professional engineers suppliers.

Presto perhaps? http://www.presto-tools.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 11:21*am, asalcedo wrote:

is it better to go for a cobalt set?

No. If you want cobalt, you want a second set. Keep them for "best"
and difficult jobs. Drills are very very cheap these days, only good
drills are expensive, so don't risk damage on your good stuff.

If you do buy cobalt, get a set of M42 cobalt steel, which is a
greyish silver colour. Rainbow blue cobalt coatings are worthless.

It's also worth getting a separate set of wood drills, sharpened with
brad points. They cut more cleanly in wood. Also a set of Bosch multi-
construction are wonderful for things (cement boards) that are
abrasive, but not tough enough to need an SDS drill. Again, it's
saving wear on your favoured metalworking set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 3:47*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 6, 11:21*am, asalcedo wrote:

Can someone point me to the best metal drill bit set available?

I am considering the DeWalt DT7926XJ Extreme 2, 'DeWalt DT7926XJ Extreme
2 Metal Drillbit Drill Bit Set on eBay (end time 08-Jul-11 10:20:17
BST)' (http://tinyurl.com/43hze2n)

is it better to go for a cobalt set?

If so, which one?

I want quality, durability and speed of cut. Price is less of an issue.

Thanks,

Antonio

--
asalcedo

Best is probably a proper engineering brand that you don't see in the
high st - only at professional engineers suppliers.

Presto perhaps?http://www.presto-tools.com/

For cutting wood, the best is a steep angle twist drill:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ist_drills _2

For masonry, best is SDS

For steel & aluminium, one of the best is titanium coated twist
drill.

For ss, cobalt will just do it, but harder types last much better.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ard_Drill_bits

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Also a set of Bosch multi-
construction are wonderful for things (cement boards) that are
abrasive, but not tough enough to need an SDS drill. Again, it's
saving wear on your favoured metalworking set.

I have yet to drill anything that needs an sds drill and the Bosch drills.
In fact I haven't found anything that needed hammer action with them.
They go through lintels and paving slabs easily, even ceramic tiles and pots
with no need to break the glaze first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 7:17*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I have yet to drill anything that needs an sds drill and the Bosch drills..

They won't fit my SDS without swapping the chuck, so I don't really
understand the issue. For SDS, I have hammer bits with blunt chisel
carbide tips.

In fact I haven't found anything that needed hammer action with them.

I sometimes use them on hammer action with the cordless, if I want a
hole in soft brick and don't want to go and get the SDS out, or don't
want a trailing cable up a ladder. Compared to a classic blunt-edged
hammer drill, they seem to give more holes in brick per charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 19:17:20 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Also a set of Bosch multi-
construction are wonderful for things (cement boards) that are
abrasive, but not tough enough to need an SDS drill. Again, it's
saving wear on your favoured metalworking set.

I have yet to drill anything that needs an sds drill and the Bosch drills.
In fact I haven't found anything that needed hammer action with them.
They go through lintels and paving slabs easily, even ceramic tiles and pots
with no need to break the glaze first.

Due to flat batteries for the combi, I used a Bosch SDS bit in the 12V
Makita drill and it did about 16 - 17 holes in rustic bricks quite easily.
Didn't need excessive force and would have done them all on a 1.3Ah NiCd on
a fresh charge.
As I wanted a 'slack' 6mm hole but not 6.5mm, the slight throw on the SDS
bit in the Mak's chuck turned out to be just right.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dingley View Post
On Jul 6, 11:21*am, asalcedo wrote:

is it better to go for a cobalt set?

No. If you want cobalt, you want a second set. Keep them for "best"
and difficult jobs. Drills are very very cheap these days, only good
drills are expensive, so don't risk damage on your good stuff.

If you do buy cobalt, get a set of M42 cobalt steel, which is a
greyish silver colour. Rainbow blue cobalt coatings are worthless.

It's also worth getting a separate set of wood drills, sharpened with
brad points. They cut more cleanly in wood. Also a set of Bosch multi-
construction are wonderful for things (cement boards) that are
abrasive, but not tough enough to need an SDS drill. Again, it's
saving wear on your favoured metalworking set.
Hi Andy,

You are right. I do have a set of, I believe, M42 cobalt and they are really good, but only at the beginning. They wear out very quickly. Perhaps because I have not used them carefully enough.

I am going to try the prototal ones. $250 for a set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
[...]

even diamond bits dont cost that