Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to drill a 3/4" hole in metal?

I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it
to 3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

3/4" drill with 3/8th shank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:04:16 -0800, "Walter R."
wrote:

I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

Try a 3/4 inch drill with a 1/2 shank.

http://www.biscotoolsupply.com/home/..._sizes_ .html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it
to 3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Aluminum is not difficult to drill through. Use a hole saw or a unibit.
Take it slow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

Try a 3/4 inch hole saw.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/34-Bi-Me...w/EN/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 5:04*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files..
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

How many holes?

Aluminum can easily be worked with tools meant for wood

cheap methods follow........

1) Use a 3/4" spade (aka paddle) bit.
2) Use a 3/4" Forstner bit
3) Use step bit but 1/4" is a little thick for a step bit
4) Use a hole saw

don't allow the bits to overheat
cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

'Try a tapered reamer

http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_200.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

hole saw?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it
to 3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

All kinds of ways.

For example, many electricians have a "Greenleaf (sp?)" punch.. To use it
you drill a 1/4" hole, asemle the male and female parts of the punch with
thru bold on the 1/4" hold and tighten the bolt. In about 30 seconds you
have your hole.

I have had to make holds for "stuff" in the top of stainless steel sinks.
Usually, I just used the biggest drill I had (usually 1/2") and then used
and "ball" or "cone" shaped grinding wheel to enlarge the hole.

An Al, you might be able to use a reamer.

Or you can use a saw to roughtly enlarge the hole and then "polish" with a
grinder wheel as above.

Except for the punch, the results usualy aren't pretty but you usually cover
up the hole so who cares.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message ...
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files. It's a tedious job to
drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to 3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Works great.....Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

How about a 3/4" hole saw?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 3, 8:16*am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

You can get a set of knock out punches from Harborfreight.com for $15.99.
It has 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 1 1/4 sizes punches and dies. Up to 10 gauge
steel, aluminum, plastic and fiberglass.

Those are nice, but he did say 1/4" aluminum - even a real Greenlee
punch might have a hard time with that.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to the drill bit section of your local hardware store. They should have
hole saws in that size. Not totally precise sizing, but reasonable. Should
cost between eight and fifteen bucks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:16 am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.
I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".
Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?
Thanks

You can get a set of knock out punches from Harborfreight.com for $15.99.
It has 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 1 1/4 sizes punches and dies. Up to 10 gauge
steel, aluminum, plastic and fiberglass.

Those are nice, but he did say 1/4" aluminum - even a real Greenlee
punch might have a hard time with that.

nate

My Greenlee punch set has no problem with
1/4 inch soft aluminum. I'm sure there are
some aerospace grades that might break it.
Anyway, a 1/2 inch conduit punch cuts a 7/8
inch hole size. (0.885 inches to be precise)
Which is why I didn't post it as a suggestion.
A mechanical punch for an exact 3/4 inch hole
can be obtained but the price may be very high
as opposed to that of a standard widely available
conduit punch.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:16*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

I guess we would need to know if the OP is going to cover the holes
before we can say "who cares".

I've drilled many holes that do not get covered up, so I usually care
what they look like.

One trick I like to use when drilling metal, especially on a drill
press, is to clean up the hole with a bit that is a few sizes bigger
than my hole. Slight pressure on the press will clean up the rough
edges and impart a slight inward bevel. It looks nice, especially with
exposed holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 7:04*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files..
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 3, 1:32*pm, RickH wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:04*pm, "Walter R." wrote:

I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... *You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. *They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

on 1/4" aluminum, a typical Unibit(tm) isn't going to help. I have
one in my desk drawer as I type this, I hauled it out and looked at
it, and it won't do more than 1/16" in one pass and 1/8" from both
sides. For a nicely finished hole, unless you have a 1/2" drill
motor, a hole saw is your best choice. Choice #2 would be to buy a
proper 1/2" drill and a 3/4" bit with a 1/2" shank (pref. w/ 3 flats)
but that could easily run close to $200. Most bits that size start at
$20-30 and go up from there for fancier coatings, etc. Of course
depending on the definition of "several" that might be the way to go.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

Think about it. He wants 3/4" holes. The largest step on the bit I referred to is 3/4". Also the
bits are made at least as large as 1 3/8". I have several different sizes and varieties of
these.....Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:04 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

I use step bits all the time in aluminum. My
only suggestion would be to use a lubricant.
I use either a liquid lube made for aluminum
or saw wax. A tube of saw wax looks sort of
like a chap stick on steroids. I've used Tap
Magic cutting fluids for years:

http://www.tapmagic.com/

Saw wax:

http://www.relton.com/cutfluid2003.html#stick

I stick my drill bit into the wax and the wax
will melt from the heat generated by drilling
which will lube the drill bit.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:54:29 -0800, "catguy"
wrote:

wrote in message news

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

Think about it. He wants 3/4" holes. The largest step on the bit I referred to is 3/4". Also the
bits are made at least as large as 1 3/8". I have several different sizes and varieties of
these.....Paul

There is a error on the page. Read the details...Six Steps 3/16 - 1/2

Yet the bit has 9 lands and is titled 1/4'' - 3/4''

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:55:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

ERRRRRRR!!! Wrong!

You are in error. All you have to do is follow the link that was
refereed to in this thread and you can clearly see the error.
Here's the link:

Posted to alt.home.repair

0ERRRRRRR!!! Wrong! I have a one inch step bit
in my drill case. It doesn't have a drill point.
I have to drill a 1/2 inch hole first. Large
step bits are very expensive and may only be
available from supply houses that serve more of
a professional clientele. I've been working in
the field of fabrication (not the political kind)
for many years so I know these things. I'm also
a tool junkie. Google before you post. One example:

http://tinyurl.com/5sfgnc

TDD

Your example won't work. It has a 5/8 shank

"Google before you post"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:55:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

ERRRRRRR!!! Wrong!

You are in error. All you have to do is follow the link that was
refereed to in this thread and you can clearly see the error.
Here's the link:

I don't see how I was in error. The poster wrote
that the bits only go to 1/2 inch. WRONG!

The poster wrote that a 3/4 inch bit will have
lands of less than 1/4 inch. WRONG!

I have step bits in my tool box that have 1/2
steps. I own a half dozen of the Harbor Freight
bits and I have used them to drill through 1/4
inch aluminum without a problem. The only thing
I recommend is using a lubricant and low speed.
I've been using step bits since the things hit
the market around here in the 1970's. The first
bits I bought were marketed by Unibit. My first
bits lasted me 10 years before I broke any of them.
The bits I own have 3/8 and 1/2 inch shanks.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

I myself have a set of twist drills by Silver and Demming that go up to
an inch and have 1/2 inch shanks.

Actually Silver and Deming is simply the name for that type of reduced
shank drill bit (that is, a bit with a 1/2" shank, 6" OAL, and 3"
flutes) unless they are real antiques. I say the latter because I
presume (without any proof) that they must have been originally made by
a company of that name.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
0ERRRRRRR!!! Wrong! I have a one inch step bit
in my drill case. It doesn't have a drill point.
I have to drill a 1/2 inch hole first. Large
step bits are very expensive and may only be
available from supply houses that serve more of
a professional clientele. I've been working in
the field of fabrication (not the political kind)
for many years so I know these things. I'm also
a tool junkie. Google before you post. One example:

http://tinyurl.com/5sfgnc

TDD

Your example won't work. It has a 5/8 shank

"Google before you post"

It was just an example of a large bit. It can drill
a large hole. My 3/4 step bits have a 3/8 shank and
I have used them to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch
aluminum without a problem. Comprehend before you
post.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels.

I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files.
It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and then use a file to enlarge it to
3/4".

Any easy way to do this without getting blisters?

Thanks

I myself have a set of twist drills by Silver and Demming that go up to
an inch and have 1/2 inch shanks.

Cool, they were actually manufactured by
Silver & Deming Manufacturing Co.? I have
some Silver & Deming bits but not those
produced by Silver & Deming Manufacturing Co.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message news

[...]

You are correct. The page is in error. Here is a set of three with the correct description for all.
The original link shows a 3/4" bit in spite of the error...Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

It was just an example of a large bit. It can drill
a large hole. My 3/4 step bits have a 3/8 shank and
I have used them to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch
aluminum without a problem. Comprehend before you
post.

TDD

Oh I do comprehend. Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank
through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:39*pm, wrote:
It was just an example of a large bit. It can drill
a large hole. My 3/4 step bits have a 3/8 shank and
I have used them to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch
aluminum without a problem. Comprehend before you
post.

TDD

Oh I do comprehend. Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank
through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.

First you argue that the bits do not exist, then you argue the link is
incorrect,
then you argue the shank size is wrong, then you argue the bits won't
work

they exist & they work in standard sized drill chucks & they work in
1/4" alumimum with a 3/8" shank
(even with 1/4" shank) aluminum is soft; even 6063-T6 BTDT

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=11037

so please stop saying it won't work / cannot be done........it can &
easily.

Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.

Yeah, using the wrong tool, the wrong technique or the wrong operator.

Alternative method:

Drill a 3/4" hole in aluminum with a HSS paddle bit ...not the most
beautiful result with a used bit
but with a new $5 Irwin bit & lube it will be
fine................DBTDT too

(back up the aluminum plate with a piece of plywood to save the paddle
bit spurs)

cheers
Bob