Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Intelligent drill battery chargers

Sometime last year I established that the charger for my 18v Site combi
drill should also (because it was intelligent) charge my 12v batteries for
my two B&D drills.

Looking inside the Site CA18 charger body there are +ve and -ve terminals
plus 3 other terminals, two of which match metal contacts on the battery.

I was hoping just to construct a pair of leads to go between the charger and
the +ve and -ve terminals on the B&D batteries.

Does anyone know what these extra contacts are for?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Sometime last year I established that the charger for my 18v Site combi
drill should also (because it was intelligent) charge my 12v batteries
for my two B&D drills.

Looking inside the Site CA18 charger body there are +ve and -ve
terminals plus 3 other terminals, two of which match metal contacts on
the battery.

I was hoping just to construct a pair of leads to go between the charger
and the +ve and -ve terminals on the B&D batteries.

Does anyone know what these extra contacts are for?

Cheers

Dave R

They provide the intelligence and possibly a safety mechanism. Probably
a temperature sensor and maybe a tap part way up the battery stack would
be my guess.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Sometime last year I established that the charger for my 18v Site combi
drill should also (because it was intelligent) charge my 12v batteries
for my two B&D drills.

Looking inside the Site CA18 charger body there are +ve and -ve
terminals plus 3 other terminals, two of which match metal contacts on
the battery.

I was hoping just to construct a pair of leads to go between the charger
and the +ve and -ve terminals on the B&D batteries.

Does anyone know what these extra contacts are for?

Cheers

Dave R

They provide the intelligence and possibly a safety mechanism. Probably a
temperature sensor and maybe a tap part way up the battery stack would be
my guess.

I can believe temperature sensor because there are a couple of extra
contacts on the B&D batteries as well (or can you get a B&D intelligent
charger for these batteries?).

AFAIK some intelligent chargers don't need extra contacts - at least the one
doing my car battery and the one doing my AAA batteries both claim to be
intelligent and both only have two contacts.

If they are necessary then presumably I have to map the extra contacts
across between the B&D battery.

If I can find what they all do.