Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best proper news client? recommendations sought

Another question - what news client are the sensible people using
nowadays? Is there one that

* doesn't put your domain name in the Message-ID (in fact, which maybe
lets you choose the Message-ID),

* threads posts properly,

* makes it easy to let users post under a couple of different
identities

* doesn't cost anything

* lets you add additional headers if you want, and

* doesn't under any circumstances look like Microsoft Explorer, or
otherwise treat you as if you're an idiot?

Turnpike 5 is great but falls down on the first item in the above
list, and also puts in an X-Newsreader: header, which I wouldn't mind
if it only identified the news client, but it includes a serial
number.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
On 01/07/2011 17:41, wrote:
wrote:
Another question - what news client are the sensible people using
nowadays? Is there one that

* doesn't put your domain name in the Message-ID (in fact, which maybe
lets you choose the Message-ID),

* threads posts properly,

* makes it easy to let users post under a couple of different
identities

* doesn't cost anything

* lets you add additional headers if you want, and

* doesn't under any circumstances look like Microsoft Explorer, or
otherwise treat you as if you're an idiot?

Turnpike 5 is great but falls down on the first item in the above
list, and also puts in an X-Newsreader: header, which I wouldn't mind
if it only identified the news client, but it includes a serial
number.

I presume you mean on some version of MS Windows, and that you want a
GUI client?

If *not* then I'd recommend slrn or tin.

A quick Google suggests that slrn is available for windows so, if you
want/like a text mode newsreader then that's one possibility.

What, you want an actual *application*?

Surely the only true way is to telnet into the server on port 119 and do
the protocol by hand.

That's the only way you have total control over it.

I use tin, even now I find it *much* better than any GUI client I have
ever tried. It's semi-GUI anyway as it's mouse-aware so there's very
little that a full GUI client can do that tin can't.

I can't speak for slrn on this front as I've not tried it in quite a
few years now.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Another question - what news client are the sensible people using
nowadays?

the one in my headers

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

wrote:

what news client are the sensible people using nowadays?

the one in my headers

Time you looked at your own headers then ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Mark wrote:

wrote:

what news client are the sensible people using nowadays?

the one in my headers

Time you looked at your own headers then ;-)

WHoooooosh

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 22:38:45 +0100, Mark wrote:

wrote:

Another question - what news client are the sensible people using
nowadays?

the one in my headers

Not helpful.

--