Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boiler - servicing and recommendations sought

Philip wrote:
We have a combi gas boiler (heating and hot water on demand). We've
previously used British Gas to have the boiler checked each year.

I say "checked" rather than serviced because BG don't really "service"
the boiler. They check various things and that is it.

So my questions a

1. It is necessary/appropriate to have a gas boiler serviced rather
than just checked? Ours is 8 years old if that helps.

2. Any recommendations on a local, qualified person who can do tha
appropriate work, preferably for less money than BG? One of my
concerns here would be how broad their knowledge might be. It isn't
that our boiler is an unknown brand (I think it is a Baxi) but how
many variants of make and model does each engineer need to know? Or
are they all pretty much the same?

Thank you for any input you can make.

--Philip

My experience is oil, rater than gas.

Annnual safety checks are in order, but apart from that there is little
regular servicing that should be needed on any CH boiler.

Older oil boilers suffered clogged filters and nozzles but gas? I cant
see anything that degrades over time that isn't 'oh its buggered, needs
replacing' and you will know that when it stops working, I reckon.
x posted to UK-d-i-y who will know a lot more.

Domino wok hob recommendations sought Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 1 May 18th 08 10:37 PM
Boiler servicing marcb UK diy 0 August 10th 05 08:52 PM
VFD recommendations sought Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 25 June 19th 05 05:03 PM
Boiler servicing mr-vampy UK diy 5 May 29th 05 09:59 AM
DIY boiler servicing peak man UK diy 17 April 16th 04 09:53 AM