Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paving slabs on a sloping driveway

Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link the road
up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is going to
lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make me an
accessory to a crime?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link the
road up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make
me an accessory to a crime?

A photo of the preparation of the slope is shown here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0579.jpg

ie. someone has used a pick to level out the ruts that his Landy made in the
limestone chippings.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in news:iua7qe$7bc$1
@dont-email.me:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0579.jpg

That garden on the left looks like it could do with a good tidy ;-)

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2011 16:22, ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link the road
up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is going to
lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make me an
accessory to a crime?

You could start a TV series about this bloke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/06/2011 16:22, ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link
the road up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make
me an accessory to a crime?

You could start a TV series about this bloke!

Doubt it. I suspect that he may soon be having an extended holiday.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/06/2011 16:22, ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link
the road up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make
me an accessory to a crime?

You could start a TV series about this bloke!

Doubt it. I suspect that he may soon be having an extended holiday.

ooohh! anywhere nice?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link the
road up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make
me an accessory to a crime?

Probably qualifies you as an assistant film locations person.

A photo of the preparation of the slope is shown here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0579.jpg

ie. someone has used a pick to level out the ruts that his Landy made in the
limestone chippings.

Should collect some rainwater run off when complete. Why is the mhc so
high? Is he planning blocks rather than slabs?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Why is the mhc so high?

come again? (yes i googled)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Why is the mhc so high?

come again? (yes i googled)

Man hole cover?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Jim K
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Why is the mhc so high?

come again? (yes i googled)

Man hole cover?

I assumed Man Hole Cover. The mhc is that high as my neighbour has a talent
for ****ing things up.

The Man hole Cover is in it's final position and will be that high above the
final surface when the driveway is finished.

The slabs are now on site

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0581.jpg

The slabs will only be used for two tracks and they will be laid on a sand
base.

My van dropped by 13cm when I put half the slabs in. It needed two trips to
move them (and it probably should have been 3 trips if I was doing it
legally)

The local village idiot helped unload the second load of slabs and managed
to trap his finger. YouTube to follow of the useless fat ****er trapping it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I assumed Man Hole Cover. The mhc is that high as my neighbour has a
talent for ****ing things up.

The Man hole Cover is in it's final position and will be that high
above the final surface when the driveway is finished.

I'd have assumed he was flagging around it?

The slabs are now on site

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0581.jpg

The slabs will only be used for two tracks and they will be laid on a
sand base.

Ah, I see, in that case it's irrelevant where the mhc is because flags, sand
and everything else will be scattered around like a madman's ****e within
about 2 weeks.

My van dropped by 13cm when I put half the slabs in.

Tell me he has packed down the mot?

If not, he's going to have a big step up off his 'drive' onto the pavement
very shortly.

It needed two
trips to move them (and it probably should have been 3 trips if I was
doing it legally)

I've had a pack of 22 in lots of different vans, although these were 2X2,
not 3X2

The local village idiot helped unload the second load of slabs and
managed to trap his finger. YouTube to follow of the useless fat
****er trapping it.

it looks like most of them have had corners bashed on unloading, but saying
that, they are 2nd hand, so it's not like he's too bothered about appearance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
"ARWadsworth" wrote in news:iua7qe$7bc$1
@dont-email.me:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0579.jpg

That garden on the left looks like it could do with a good tidy ;-)

I like the Salvador Dali approach to the hanging of the drive gates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I assumed Man Hole Cover. The mhc is that high as my neighbour has a
talent for ****ing things up.

The Man hole Cover is in it's final position and will be that high
above the final surface when the driveway is finished.

I'd have assumed he was flagging around it?

You are just being normal:-)

The slabs are now on site

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0581.jpg

The slabs will only be used for two tracks and they will be laid on a
sand base.

Ah, I see, in that case it's irrelevant where the mhc is because
flags, sand and everything else will be scattered around like a
madman's ****e within about 2 weeks.

Yep.

My van dropped by 13cm when I put half the slabs in.

Tell me he has packed down the mot?

NO. It WAS packed down, he moved it about with a pick to "level" it off.

If not, he's going to have a big step up off his 'drive' onto the
pavement very shortly.

Well I will video the first car to use it.

It needed two
trips to move them (and it probably should have been 3 trips if I was
doing it legally)

I've had a pack of 22 in lots of different vans, although these were
2X2, not 3X2

For some reason the flags were very thick. Some of them were 3 inch deep. I
suspect that a street in Wakefield is now missing a pavement.

His girlfriend is a stunner, his driveway looks like a ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is going to
lay them on sand!

I hope he never accidentally comes across your vids on YouTube; be kinda
obvious who it was filming them!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Doubt it. I suspect that he may soon be having an extended holiday.

ooohh! anywhere nice?

Well, I hear it pleases Her Majesty!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on sand
on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on sand
on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very short time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/06/2011 16:22, ARWadsworth wrote:
Well that is my next door neighbours next job. He intends to link
the road up to his "concrete" base with a few paving slabs.

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I'm taking him round to pick the slabs up in my van. Does that make
me an accessory to a crime?

You could start a TV series about this bloke!

Doubt it. I suspect that he may soon be having an extended holiday.

ooohh! anywhere nice?

Doncaster at a guess:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on sand
on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very
short time

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

CCTV camera and YouTube are already on standby. Apparently he is
going to lay them on sand!

I hope he never accidentally comes across your vids on YouTube; be
kinda obvious who it was filming them!

He has seen them and thinks that they are funny. He has no idea about this
newsgroup though.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on
sand on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very
short time

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Is he trying to win the 'clueless **** of the year' competition?

It looks like he is trying to do it for next to nothing, IE scrimping on
materials and time etc, and I estimate that this lot has set him back about
60 quid for the mot, and maybe the flags were free, but at least it has
knocked the house price down by about 5 grand, so at last in his eyes, he's
in with a good chance of winning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
news:iua7qe$7bc$1 @dont-email.me:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0579.jpg

That garden on the left looks like it could do with a good tidy ;-)

I like the Salvador Dali approach to the hanging of the drive gates

To be fair that was not him. Paul was out when his girlfriend and her mate
decided to have a go in his Landy. The idea was to make the Landy face the
other way on the drive to annoy him when he got home. All they managed to do
was snap the hinge on one fence and bend the post on the other.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

I have just spoken to him. They are in place ready for the sand delivery.
And when the sand comes he will turn them the right way around (ie old
cement blobs face down).

I have suggested a dry mix of sand and cement. It might last a little longer
than just sand.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on sand
on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

Well this is how they used to get cars off the driveway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU1hqEyuLhQ

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:14:51 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

One of my 'friends' just posted this picture on Facebook!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

One of my 'friends' just posted this picture on Facebook!

Tell me more.

Just that. Can't find it now, but a 'friend' posted that link with
something like 'look at that muppet'...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

One of my 'friends' just posted this picture on Facebook!

Tell me more.

Came via ping.fm, I see, and someone caled Paul (won't mention full name
here). Just said (found it now) "DIY driveway fail".

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Splutter!

One of my 'friends' just posted this picture on Facebook!

Tell me more.

OK, I know now. We have a mutual real life friend who is a regular on
uk.d-i-y. I'll let him own up....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 20:19, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

This whole thread has me bemused. I can only assume your neighbour has
no access to the internet or this news group. He would have no trouble
identifying himself from your photos and I can't imagine him being
amused by your descriptions of him and his diy efforts Big bloke is
he ? Or perhaps you're the big bloke ;-)

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

This whole thread has me bemused. I can only assume your neighbour has
no access to the internet or this news group. He would have no trouble
identifying himself from your photos and I can't imagine him being
amused by your descriptions of him and his diy efforts.

I would imagine that uk.d-i-y (or any DIY site for that matter) is the last
place he will ever look at in the whole of the internet.

Big bloke is
he ? Or perhaps you're the big bloke ;-)

I actually like the guy, and we get on well with each other - including the
ability to take the **** out of each other or help each other as and when
required.

I believe that I have a duty to take the **** out of his DIY work and share
it on this newsgroup and some readers do enjoy seeing the pictures/videos.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

One of my 'friends' just posted this picture on Facebook!

Tell me more.

OK, I know now. We have a mutual real life friend who is a regular on
uk.d-i-y. I'll let him own up....

I may have mentioned it elsewhere... ;-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 8:19*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

His girlfriend is a stunner, his driveway looks like a ****.

--
Adam

Photos of girlfriend rather than tatty slabs would be good if
possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 27, 8:19 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

His girlfriend is a stunner, his driveway looks like a ****.

--
Adam

Photos of girlfriend rather than tatty slabs would be good if
possible.

Here you go

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...girlfriend.jpg

I would not say no.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 27, 8:19 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
His girlfriend is a stunner, his driveway looks like a ****.

--
Adam

Photos of girlfriend rather than tatty slabs would be good if
possible.

Here you go

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...girlfriend.jpg

I would not say no.

that's more of a bouncy castle than a girlfriend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 4:50*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on sand
on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very
short time

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

can we stick that on the wiki? Go bet him itll break up first time he
drives on it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 5:29*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on
sand on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very
short time

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

Is he trying to win the 'clueless **** of the year' competition?

If he is, he's got a long way to go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE&NR=1
Scary

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jun 28, 4:50 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:19:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well I will video the first car to use it.

He he, getting on from the street will be easy, garvity assist.
Getting something large and heavy up them might be fun. Slabs on
sand on MOT just aint' going to stay still...

or in one piece - the whole thing will be crazy paving in a very
short time

Looks like he has not bothered with the sand

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0583.jpg

can we stick that on the wiki? Go bet him itll break up first time he
drives on it.

Considering that the slabs are 6 inches below the surface of the road I
doubt he will try using it at the moment.

Probably best to wait until he has put the slabs on some sand and then show
the finished product.

--
Adam

cutting paving slabs RobertL UK diy 13 October 3rd 07 03:17 PM
Cutting Paving Slabs [email protected] UK diy 24 August 7th 06 03:04 PM
TIP Removing paint from paving slabs Stuart Noble UK diy 0 May 16th 06 11:27 AM
Slabs for sloping path Broadback UK diy 4 August 12th 05 04:36 PM
Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM