Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old English counties

Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

In the case of the new unitarian political counties, where is it now?

TIA

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:17:42 +0100, Dave wrote:

Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Well as Westmoorland (note spelling) hasn't existed as a County since
1974, Coniston is in South Lakland, Cumbria.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

In the case of the new unitarian political counties, where is it now?

TIA

Dave

Cumbria - and the old name was Cumberland.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Presumably, by Cumbria you are referring to the old county of
Cumberland. Cumbria is the modern administrative county

In answer to you question, Coniston and it's Water was in neither. It
was in the Furness region of Lanacahsire - detached from the rest of the
county. You can see an old map of the county on this page:

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/images/maps/LancashireN.jpg

In the case of the new unitarian political counties, where is it now?

It's not a unitary authority, it's in South Lakeland Distict Council,
Cumbria County Council areas
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2011 22:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:17:42 +0100, Dave wrote:

Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Well as Westmoorland (note spelling) hasn't existed as a County since
1974, Coniston is in South Lakland, Cumbria.

I was trying to go back to the old counties.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:58:38 +0100, hugh wrote:

Cumbria - and the old name was Cumberland.

Coniston was in Westmorland (sorry I got it wrong earlier as well
with oo not o but I knew the e wasn't right), Cumberland was a
different county.

Cumbria is not the old Cumberland.

Wikipedia:

"The county of Cumbria was created in 1974 from the traditional
counties of Cumberland and Westmorland, the Cumberland County Borough
of Carlisle, along with the North Lonsdale or Furness part of
Lancashire, usually referred to as "Lancashire North of the Sands",
(including the county borough of Barrow-in-Furness) and, from the
West Riding of Yorkshire, the Sedbergh Rural District."

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:17:42 +0100, Dave wrote:

Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Well as Westmoorland (note spelling) hasn't existed as a County since
1974, Coniston is in South Lakland, Cumbria.

Westmorland and Lakeland (sp)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:46:16 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:17:42 +0100, Dave wrote:

Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Well as Westmoorland (note spelling) hasn't existed as a County since
1974, Coniston is in South Lakland, Cumbria.

Lakeland?

I have many ancestors from Westmorland so I still prefer to
differentiate Westmorland from Cumberland for my family tree.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 10:17*pm, Dave wrote:
Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

Lancashire until 1973, then Cumbria since.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
You can see an old map of the county on this page:
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/images/maps/LancashireN.jpg

Nice maps. What are the coloured regions? The commentaries suggest
they are Parliamentary Constituencies from 1885, but
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...orkshireSW.jpg
interestingly labels "Hallamshire" as being what've been
usually called "Sheffield Hillsborough" or the southern
half of "Penistone & Stocksbridge", and the Handsworth bit
is way too small to have suffient population to make up
a Parliamentary Constituency, plus Sheffield had seven
constituencies in the 1880s.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2011 22:17, Dave wrote:
Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

In the case of the new unitarian political counties, where is it now?

TIA

Dave

Rather than reply to the many posters, I am going to answer my own post.

A very many thanks to all who answered what I thought would be a simple
question. It looks like it turned out to be a lot more complex than I
thought.

Many thanks again.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Chris French wrote:
You can see an old map of the county on this page:
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/images/maps/LancashireN.jpg

Nice maps. What are the coloured regions? The commentaries suggest
they are Parliamentary Constituencies from 1885, but
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...orkshireSW.jpg
interestingly labels "Hallamshire" as being what've been
usually called "Sheffield Hillsborough" or the southern
half of "Penistone & Stocksbridge", and the Handsworth bit
is way too small to have suffient population to make up
a Parliamentary Constituency, plus Sheffield had seven
constituencies in the 1880s.

Don't know.

Maybe old Metropolitan Boroughs?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 21:22:36 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Dave , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

On 17/06/2011 22:17, Dave wrote:
Is Coniston and Coniston water in Westmoreland, or Cumbria?

In the case of the new unitarian political counties, where is it now?

Rather than reply to the many posters, I am going to answer my own post.

A very many thanks to all who answered what I thought would be a simple
question. It looks like it turned out to be a lot more complex than I
thought.

No, it turned out to be a poorly-worded question. "Which historic
(i.e., pre-1974) county _were_ Coniston and Coniston Water in? Was it
Westmorland, Cumberland, Lancashire or Yorkshire? Following Local
Government reorganisation of the last two decades, are they in a
Unitary Authority or a County, and which one?"

Or you could have spent thirty seconds on Wikipedia.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:27:50 -0700 (PDT), jgharston
wrote:

Chris French wrote:
You can see an old map of the county on this page:
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/images/maps/LancashireN.jpg

Nice maps. What are the coloured regions? The commentaries suggest
they are Parliamentary Constituencies from 1885, but
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...orkshireSW.jpg
interestingly labels "Hallamshire" as being what've been
usually called "Sheffield Hillsborough" or the southern
half of "Penistone & Stocksbridge", and the Handsworth bit
is way too small to have suffient population to make up
a Parliamentary Constituency, plus Sheffield had seven
constituencies in the 1880s.

Handsworth is presumably "Sheffield Attercliffe" (1885-2010) but it
doesn't explain the absence of the other constituencies.

Looking at your quoted map and other maps in Yorkshire backs up your
1885 date but at that time some constituencies ceased to exist and
other were created so the map seems to have errors

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...orkshireSE.jpg
http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...orkshireNE.jpg

Taking parliamentary constituencies:

Whitby ceased to be a parliamentary constituency in 1885 (becoming
Scarborough and Whitby)
Howdenshire and Buckrose existed until 1950
Osgoldcross ceased to exist in 1918

Sowerby existed from 1885-1983
Holmfirth existed from 1885-1918

Transport links:
The Woodhead tunnel, presumeably singular is shown so its post 1845
The New Junction Canal isn't shown so its pre 1905

There may be other clues in road, rail or canal networks.

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/image...glandWales.jpg

Says "German Ocean" instead of North Sea, a name deprecated in the
towards the end of the 19th Century.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:
Handsworth is presumably "Sheffield Attercliffe" (1885-2010) but it
doesn't explain the absence of the other constituencies.

That's the puzzle, in the currency of the map Handworth had nowhere
near enough population to be a constituency, and the County Borough
of Sheffield had five constituencies within its boundaries,
Sheffield Attercliffe, Sheffield Brightside, Sheffield Central,
Sheffield Ecclesall and Sheffield Hallam, more-or-less each of
the townships in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sheffield1832.jpg
with Hallam and Ecclesall continuing westwards to the city boundary.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:51:50 -0700 (PDT), jgharston
wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:
Handsworth is presumably "Sheffield Attercliffe" (1885-2010) but it
doesn't explain the absence of the other constituencies.

That's the puzzle, in the currency of the map Handworth had nowhere
near enough population to be a constituency, and the County Borough
of Sheffield had five constituencies within its boundaries,
Sheffield Attercliffe, Sheffield Brightside, Sheffield Central,
Sheffield Ecclesall and Sheffield Hallam, more-or-less each of
the townships in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sheffield1832.jpg
with Hallam and Ecclesall continuing westwards to the city boundary.

What I was trying to indicate in my previous posting is that it's
showing an almost impossible picture elsewhere in the county. It's
pre 1885 and post 1885 on a random basis. The mapmaker implements
some changes but either doesn't know or can't be arsed about including
other changes so it could have nothing to do with constituencies.

Some other remote possibilities:

Could it have some basis in the structure of the courts and legal
system or even the church?