Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old English counties

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:58:38 +0100, hugh wrote:

Cumbria - and the old name was Cumberland.

Coniston was in Westmorland (sorry I got it wrong earlier as well
with oo not o but I knew the e wasn't right), Cumberland was a
different county.

Cumbria is not the old Cumberland.

Wikipedia:

"The county of Cumbria was created in 1974 from the traditional
counties of Cumberland and Westmorland, the Cumberland County Borough
of Carlisle, along with the North Lonsdale or Furness part of
Lancashire, usually referred to as "Lancashire North of the Sands",
(including the county borough of Barrow-in-Furness) and, from the
West Riding of Yorkshire, the Sedbergh Rural District."

--
Cheers
Dave.