Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Old English counties

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:51:50 -0700 (PDT), jgharston
wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:
Handsworth is presumably "Sheffield Attercliffe" (1885-2010) but it
doesn't explain the absence of the other constituencies.

That's the puzzle, in the currency of the map Handworth had nowhere
near enough population to be a constituency, and the County Borough
of Sheffield had five constituencies within its boundaries,
Sheffield Attercliffe, Sheffield Brightside, Sheffield Central,
Sheffield Ecclesall and Sheffield Hallam, more-or-less each of
the townships in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sheffield1832.jpg
with Hallam and Ecclesall continuing westwards to the city boundary.

What I was trying to indicate in my previous posting is that it's
showing an almost impossible picture elsewhere in the county. It's
pre 1885 and post 1885 on a random basis. The mapmaker implements
some changes but either doesn't know or can't be arsed about including
other changes so it could have nothing to do with constituencies.

Some other remote possibilities:

Could it have some basis in the structure of the courts and legal
system or even the church?