Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Don't put that wood there!

I took some logs to the recycling today and was about to put them in a skip
marked 'wood'.
There was a shout of "You can't put that there sir, it goes in general
waste!"
Apparently wood does not come from trees, it comes from furniture!
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:30:55 +0100, Jim S wrote:

I took some logs to the recycling today and was about to put them in a skip
marked 'wood'.
There was a shout of "You can't put that there sir, it goes in general
waste!"
Apparently wood does not come from trees, it comes from furniture!

Round here, if you cut branches from a tree (or even cut a tree down)
that wood goes in the "green" skip to be composted but if there's a
nail in the trunk it has to go in scrap metal because they can extract
metal from wood but not wood from metal. So if you remove all the
fabric from a bed base and you're down to the wood frame and the metal
springs, you'd think that would go in scrap metal? No. It goes in the
special bed place. When the skips are taken away to wherever they are
taken to, the beds are put into the general waste skips. But you
cannot chuck the bed straight into the general waste skip.

Fluorescent tubes have to go in a special bin unless that bin is full
when you must smash the tube as you put it into general waste skip -
you can't put the whole tube in because it contains a nasty greenhouse
gas that would be released if it got broken in the skip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:51:58 +0100, Jake wrote:

[...]

Oh it's worse than that, it's mercury vapour.
Schools now have to evacuate a class if you drop a thermometer, but break a
strip light and nobody cares, but one contains a liquid which is easy to
deal with, the other contains the gas which isn't.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jake Nospam@invalid writes:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:30:55 +0100, Jim S wrote:

I took some logs to the recycling today and was about to put them in a skip
marked 'wood'.
There was a shout of "You can't put that there sir, it goes in general
waste!"
Apparently wood does not come from trees, it comes from furniture!

Round here, if you cut branches from a tree (or even cut a tree down)
that wood goes in the "green" skip to be composted but if there's a

ISTR reading that with ours, max branch thickness for composting
is 2", and anything bigger goes into the landfill one (although
they'll have to stop that when timber is banned from landfill).

nail in the trunk it has to go in scrap metal because they can extract
metal from wood but not wood from metal. So if you remove all the
fabric from a bed base and you're down to the wood frame and the metal
springs, you'd think that would go in scrap metal? No. It goes in the
special bed place. When the skips are taken away to wherever they are
taken to, the beds are put into the general waste skips. But you
cannot chuck the bed straight into the general waste skip.

Fluorescent tubes have to go in a special bin unless that bin is full
when you must smash the tube as you put it into general waste skip -
you can't put the whole tube in because it contains a nasty greenhouse
gas that would be released if it got broken in the skip.

Not a greenhouse gas - mercury vapor.

For whole tubes, an attempt is made to recover the mercury, whereas
for broken tubes, it's already lost. (Actually this isn't true, as
during the life of the CFL, much of the mercury migrates into the
glass, phosphors, etc, but this is normally overlooked.)
If you collect 1000 CFLs, you have about the same amount of mercury
as the average human body contains at death (via fillings).
If you eat a regular portion of fish, you probably get a mercury
dose about 50 times higher than you can inhale from a broken CFL.

What we should be spending more attention on recovering are the rare
earth metal phosphors. These are currently seriously limited resources
on the planet with new uses for them being discovered for various
energy saving and energy efficient devices that we're likely to need
in the future, but I'm not aware there's any attempt to recover them.
There is a risk we'll run out, and/or access will be restricted by
political borders, just as their use becomes even more critical.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/15/2011 7:40 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What we should be spending more attention on recovering are the rare
earth metal phosphors. These are currently seriously limited resources
on the planet with new uses for them being discovered for various
energy saving and energy efficient devices that we're likely to need
in the future, but I'm not aware there's any attempt to recover them.
There is a risk we'll run out, and/or access will be restricted by
political borders, just as their use becomes even more critical.

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

I don't think so, it just has most of the active mines, I seem to
remember reading a lot of others were shutdown when it was
easier/cheaper to import from china, now they've imposed export quotas,
the others are looking at restarting ... scananavia IIRC?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2011 18:30, Jim S wrote:
I took some logs to the recycling today and was about to put them in a skip
marked 'wood'.
There was a shout of "You can't put that there sir, it goes in general
waste!"
Apparently wood does not come from trees, it comes from furniture!
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

I find that very hard to believe...

....the recycling centre staff addressed you as "sir"? And in Tyneside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
On 6/15/2011 7:40 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What we should be spending more attention on recovering are the rare
earth metal phosphors. These are currently seriously limited resources
on the planet with new uses for them being discovered for various
energy saving and energy efficient devices that we're likely to need
in the future, but I'm not aware there's any attempt to recover them.
There is a risk we'll run out, and/or access will be restricted by
political borders, just as their use becomes even more critical.

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

No.

It has most of the rare earth mines, but that's because they produced at
such low prices* that all the other ones shut down years ago.

*Low wages, vile working conditions and no environmental worries. Just
poison the land,. There's plenty more in China.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

I don't think so, it just has most of the active mines, I seem to
remember reading a lot of others were shutdown when it was
easier/cheaper to import from china, now they've imposed export quotas,
the others are looking at restarting ... scananavia IIRC?

California for neodymium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

scananavia IIRC?

California for neodymium.

Heh! I hadn't even twigged that the name 'scandium' was derived from
scandanavia, but while googling around, stumbled over the swedish town
of Ytterby, which explains four more element names ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ytterby

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:08:11 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[...]

I doubt any schools use mercury thermometers any more.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
[...]

No, except maybe for some older equipment stashed away.

for normal pupil use they would be spirit ones
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2011 18:30, Jim S wrote:
I took some logs to the recycling today and was about to put them in a skip
marked 'wood'.
There was a shout of "You can't put that there sir, it goes in general
waste!"
Apparently wood does not come from trees, it comes from furniture!

Our council tip has a bin marked "timber and wood" but, of course,
nobody, especially the staff, knows where to put kitchen carcasses. A
simple booklet telling people where to put the most frequently dumped
items would save everybody a lot of hassle.
An Ikea furniture bin might be a good idea. I've seen their slatted
beds dumped on the street, and have saved myself a good few quid by
putting the bits into my timber stash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:37:44 +0100, chris French wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
[...]

I believe this to be incorrect in the UK
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

I don't think so, it just has most of the active mines, I seem to
remember reading a lot of others were shutdown when it was
easier/cheaper to import from china, now they've imposed export
quotas, the others are looking at restarting ... scananavia IIRC?

The BBC seem to agree with you:-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13777439

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

I don't think so, it just has most of the active mines, I seem to
remember reading a lot of others were shutdown when it was
easier/cheaper to import from china, now they've imposed export quotas,
the others are looking at restarting ... scananavia IIRC?

There are three other places, Mount Weld in Australia operated by Lynas
corporation, Mountain Pass in the USA operated by MolyCorp and a deposit in
Greenland operated by GGG Minerals.........

China currently has monopolistic control at over 97%, the other mines are
not being online till at least 2012...... so China has us by the proverbials
till then

(I've studied the rare earths market for work so thats how I know)

Regards

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/15/2011 10:14 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

Doesn't China have most of the known rare earth metal deposits?

I don't think so, it just has most of the active mines, I seem to
remember reading a lot of others were shutdown when it was
easier/cheaper to import from china, now they've imposed export quotas,
the others are looking at restarting ... scananavia IIRC?

Ah, that's what I should have said.