Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing garden canes together

Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 1:31*pm, goodolpete wrote:
Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete

String with an upright cane at each join. I actually stick a few old
tree supports in and drape the netting over that.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

goodolpete wrote:
Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete

look up 'square lashing' a boy scouts (and others) method of fixing
spars at right angles.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 1:31 pm, goodolpete wrote:
Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete

cable ties at each junction - 2 diagonally opposed around both canes?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"goodolpete" wrote in message
Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete

Arc or stick welder ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 05:31:32 -0700 (PDT), goodolpete
wrote:

Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box.

If the canes are reasonably thick then you could use 15mm John guest
push fit pipe fittings. The Tees and Elbows are quite useful.
Quite an expensive way of doing it though unless you have access to a
load like I did.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:10:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix ordinary garden

canes
together to make a long rectangular box.

tie wraps.

Even if pulled up really tight they tend to still slide. Personally
I'd go for the wizzy, but simple, garden twine after a google for
lashing techniques.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:10:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix ordinary garden

canes
together to make a long rectangular box.

tie wraps.

Even if pulled up really tight they tend to still slide. Personally
I'd go for the wizzy, but simple, garden twine after a google for
lashing techniques.

You need to cross them over and use a pair.

Not a patch on a proper boy scout lashing, but who apart from us
oldsters ever did one?

I just built a fruit cage. Need to put tow strips of net over the top so
stretched a central wire and tie wrapped the netting to it. Perfect,
fast and neat.

Way better than string (which rots) or thin wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:10:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix ordinary garden

canes
together to make a long rectangular box.

tie wraps.

Even if pulled up really tight they tend to still slide. Personally
I'd go for the wizzy, but simple, garden twine after a google for
lashing techniques.

Tie-wraps (two, crossed, per join) for speed and convenience. However,
when you cut the tie-wraps dismantle the canes, they usually end up
lying around all over the place on the ground, and you have to hunt for
them. Lost bits of twine are at least (eventually) bio-degradable!
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:10:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix ordinary garden

canes
together to make a long rectangular box.
tie wraps.

Even if pulled up really tight they tend to still slide. Personally
I'd go for the wizzy, but simple, garden twine after a google for
lashing techniques.

You need to cross them over and use a pair.

Not a patch on a proper boy scout lashing, but who apart from us
oldsters ever did one?

I just built a fruit cage. Need to put tow strips of net over the top so
stretched a central wire and tie wrapped the netting to it. Perfect,
fast and neat.

Way better than string (which rots) or thin wire.

I use my scouting knots quite a lot especially in the garden

Sheepshank
Clove hitch
Reef Knot
Sheet Bend
Timber hitch
Round turn & 2 half hitches
Square & Diagonal lashing

I rarely find the need for a Bowline, maybe because I found it difficult
to remember at the time.

I was a scout in the mid sixties (post silly hat and pre uniform long
trousers).
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:43:59 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Bamboo canes tend to slide about. Rubber bands, cut and used like
string, work quite well

One might have to choose ones rubber bands carefully. Many don't like
UV...

Old ladies tights do seem to resist UV well and have some
stretchyness. We've used them to as ties between small trees and the
stake. Nice bit of resiliance, strong and broad so don't damage the
tree.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
goodolpete writes
Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.

Do you need to bother with a framework?

We just stick some canes in, and drape the mesh over the top. It's
weighed down at the base. so doesn't sag down slowly.

We use Enviromesh as to keep the Cabbage White Butterflies off, and this
just rests over the top of the canes. If you are using a wider mesh to
just keep Pigeons off then you might need to put something over the top
of the canes so they don't got through the holes. Small plant pots,
yogurt tubes, drinks bottles etc.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-06-15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:43:59 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Bamboo canes tend to slide about. Rubber bands, cut and used like
string, work quite well

One might have to choose ones rubber bands carefully. Many don't like
UV...

Old ladies tights do seem to resist UV well and have some
stretchyness. We've used them to as ties between small trees and the
stake. Nice bit of resiliance, strong and broad so don't damage the
tree.

I've used 1/4" magtape for this. Works quite well, although Gawd knows
where you'd get any these days.

Bet it was a bugger to read back afterwards, though ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"goodolpete" wrote

Hi,
has anyone any wizzy suggestions for how to fix
ordinary garden canes together to make a long
rectangular box. I want to fix netting over it to
try and keep the pigeons off my third planting
of Calabrese.
Best wishes,
Pete

I've used cheap parcel tape recently.
Lasts all summer, stops the canes from sliding and is easily removed with a
few strokes of a Stanley knife.
Only occasionally had to restick the odd bit due to rain "getting in".

Might be inclined not to bother in future and try Chris French's
suggestions.

Phil