Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default grrr... Cistern Close Coupled leaking problems

Tried what I thought was a simple job, replace the gubbins inside my
cistern with a internal overflow type, however everytime I fit is all back
the damn thing leaks. The leaks come from around the donut, which I have
today replaced. I have seen leaks when I flush, but now I am also seeing
leaks from around there whilst the cistern fills.

Can someone give me some tips on how to stop the damn leaks? I have taken
the Flapper Flush Valve out and cleaned up around it, and the washer is
new (it came with the conversion kit). I have tightened this up pretty
tight.

Should I be applying anything on there?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkG wrote:
Tried what I thought was a simple job, replace the gubbins inside my
cistern with a internal overflow type, however everytime I fit is all
back the damn thing leaks. The leaks come from around the donut, which
I have today replaced. I have seen leaks when I flush, but now I am
also seeing leaks from around there whilst the cistern fills.

Can someone give me some tips on how to stop the damn leaks? I have
taken the Flapper Flush Valve out and cleaned up around it, and the
washer is new (it came with the conversion kit). I have tightened this up pretty tight.

Should I be applying anything on there?

Thanks.

I feel for you :-s
Fitted dozens of these myself and there's always the odd one that wants to
leak!

Have you...
Made sure that nothing is snagging and that the whole cistern is properly
seated.
Checked that the outlet on the flush isn't hitting the bottom of the inlet
on the pan and thus preventing the cistern from being tightly screwed down,
via the wing bolts?
Is the flush properly seated onto the cistern, centred in the hole?
Don't use silicone where they have supplied any rubber washers with the kit
(wing bolt fixings/flush pipe fixing) but do use some where they haven't.
I usually use some around the hole on the base of the cistern to seal the
plastic backnut, and also inside the cistern where the wing bolts go
through... Unless a rubber seal has been supplied.
Tighten both wing bolts evenly and firmly- use tool for an extra turn when
thumbs and finger are maxed out.

HTH

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2011 20:56, MarkG wrote:
Tried what I thought was a simple job, replace the gubbins inside my
cistern with a internal overflow type, however everytime I fit is all
back the damn thing leaks. The leaks come from around the donut, which I
have today replaced. I have seen leaks when I flush, but now I am also
seeing leaks from around there whilst the cistern fills.

Leaks when you flush are from the joint between the cistern & the pan.
Leaks when filling are from the joint between the valve & the cistern.

Can someone give me some tips on how to stop the damn leaks? I have
taken the Flapper Flush Valve out and cleaned up around it, and the
washer is new (it came with the conversion kit). I have tightened this
up pretty tight.

Should I be applying anything on there?

Thanks.

First thing is, there are 2 types of donut. One has a rounded top, the
other has a square top, make sure you replace like for like.

Next check inside the cistern where the valve fits to make sure the
surface around the hole is flat & smooth with no bumps etc. I usually
apply a layer of LS-X sealant under the washer. Washer goes under the
valve.

Do the bolts go through the bottom of the cistern or do you have a metal
plate they hook onto?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 8:56*pm, MarkG wrote:
Tried what I thought was a simple job, replace the gubbins inside my *
cistern with a internal overflow type, however everytime I fit is all back *
the damn thing leaks. *The leaks come from around the donut, which I have *
today replaced. * I have seen leaks when I flush, but now I am also seeing *
leaks from around there whilst the cistern fills.

Can someone give me some tips on how to stop the damn leaks? *I have taken *
the Flapper Flush Valve out and cleaned up around it, and the washer is *
new (it came with the conversion kit). *I have tightened this up pretty *
tight.

Follow the instructions for the gubbins. The outlet pipe may need
cutting down for your toilet.

Take everything apart and clean all the parts and surfaces
thouroughly. Use a fresh doughnut of the correct size and shape. Don't
use silicone, it is not needed and does not stick to the doughnuts (I
know, I tried). Nothing else is needed, either.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 7:21*am, Dean Heighington
wrote:
MarkG wrote:
[...]

Also, after a few days go back and tighten them some more, since the
donut seems to compress a bit after a few days, IME.
Simon.

Close Coupled Cistern Leak Steve UK diy 3 February 6th 11 12:20 PM
leaking close-coupled cistern paul UK diy 5 August 28th 09 07:02 PM
Close Coupled Cistern Sunset UK diy 1 September 4th 06 12:01 PM
Close coupled cistern installation Paul Andrews UK diy 7 September 9th 05 12:36 PM
Close Coupled Toilet Cistern Keith Abbott UK diy 0 March 16th 05 07:44 PM