Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Close Coupled Cistern Leak

I had a problem with the flush handle not returning on a 20 year old
close coupled cistern. I renewed the syphon assembly and the thick
rubber ring that sits between the cistern and the toilet pan - the old
one was perished.

All was well for a couple of weeks but now every time it is flushed a
small quantity of water (perhaps a few teaspoons full) leaks from the
joint between the cistern and pan.

I've never done this before. It's a bit of a faff taking it all apart
again so before I do, does anybody have any idea what I might have done
wrong? Should I have put some kind of silicone grease on the rubber
ring? or do they come in different sizes? in which case I might have the
wrong size.

TIA

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2011 17:39, Steve wrote:
I had a problem with the flush handle not returning on a 20 year old
close coupled cistern. I renewed the syphon assembly and the thick
rubber ring that sits between the cistern and the toilet pan - the old
one was perished.

All was well for a couple of weeks but now every time it is flushed a
small quantity of water (perhaps a few teaspoons full) leaks from the
joint between the cistern and pan.

I've never done this before. It's a bit of a faff taking it all apart
again so before I do, does anybody have any idea what I might have done
wrong? Should I have put some kind of silicone grease on the rubber
ring? or do they come in different sizes? in which case I might have the
wrong size.

Its more a case of they come in 2 types IME. One has a rounded over top
& the other is flat.

Since its a small leak, try some Plumbers Mait around the ring.

Make sure the wing nuts are done up tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
[...]

If there's any movement between the two parts, that will do it.
The doughnut washer takes up the shape of the cavity it's squashed
into, and movement will make it leak, probably in the timeframe
you've seen.

I suggest getting a fresh doughnut washer before taking it apart.
It shouldn't need any sealant.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2011 00:01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
The Medway writes:
[...]

The OP has replaced it.

It shouldn't need any sealant.

Famous last words :-)

close coupled cistern bolts Fred UK diy 17 June 1st 10 09:21 PM
leaking close-coupled cistern paul UK diy 5 August 28th 09 07:02 PM
Close Coupled Cistern Sunset UK diy 1 September 4th 06 12:01 PM
Close coupled cistern installation Paul Andrews UK diy 7 September 9th 05 12:36 PM
Close Coupled Toilet Cistern Keith Abbott UK diy 0 March 16th 05 07:44 PM