Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower light needed - low heat output

Forthcoming shower refurb is going to have a PVC-panelled ceiling within
the cubicle. I'm looking for a suitable downlighter or similar to use
with it; the specs say the PVC must not be subjected to more than 60 deg
C temperature which I'm assuming rules out incandescent lamps, whether
mains or 12V?

I think I quite like the look of this one:
http://tinyurl.com/6j6cd24 (or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd3206/p21481)
but never having used GU10 fittings before I am not clear whether it
will take a low energy lamp - this one's 84mm long, which is way longer
than any low-voltage lamp...
http://tinyurl.com/6ancy37 (or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/Energy+Saving+CFL+Decorative+Lamps/GU10+Energy+Saving+Lamp+Aluminium+Body+13W/d220/sd3281/p16948)

What about LED lamps? Are they up to the job yet these days (even for a
small enclosed bright space like a shower cubicle? If so that would be
ideal I'd have thought:
http://tinyurl.com/68ygeuj (or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/LED+Lamps/LED+54W+High+Power+GU10+Warm+White+200lm/d220/sd3276/p73710)

Thanks for any thoughts...
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

I would give the PVC panelling suppliers a buzz and ask them if they can
suggest a suitable fitting, they might even supply them as part of the
system. Or you could look into using a cowling/ diffuser / reflector to
separate the lamp from the PVC- I know you can get fireproof hats to go
over the top of recessed downlighters to go in the ceiling void and I have
also used euscheon (spelling?) plates before when replacing large 1960s
style eyeball lights with modern LV spots, that reduce the aperture and
also would provide a barrier between lamp and surrounding material. Don't
forget the lamp fitting should be IP65.

Deano
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:52:52 +0100
Lobster wrote:

Forthcoming shower refurb is going to have a PVC-panelled ceiling
within the cubicle.

snip
What about LED lamps? Are they up to the job yet these days (even for
a small enclosed bright space like a shower cubicle?

snip

I have just ordered a 5w LED MR12 with transformer from TLC to see if
SWMBO will stand the colour and brightness.

She wants the plastic ceiling, but currently it is vetoed by me on the
grounds that she insists on downlighters too. I'm not putting up a
ceiling only to see it melt or discolour.

There are several questions I want to answer:

1) will a standard cast downlighter run cool enough for plastic?
2) will an IP65 downlighter run cool enough for plastic?
3) can we strand the colour of the light?
4) are they bright enough?

I'll report back.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:
Don't forget the lamp fitting
should be IP65.

Not necessarily. IPX4 is usually suitable.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
Dean Heighington wrote:
Don't forget the lamp fitting
should be IP65.

Not necessarily. IPX4 is usually suitable.

Well, IPsomething anyway
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Forthcoming shower refurb is going to have a PVC-panelled ceiling
within the cubicle.

snip
What about LED lamps? Are they up to the job yet these days (even for
a small enclosed bright space like a shower cubicle?

snip

I have just ordered a 5w LED MR12 with transformer from TLC to see if
SWMBO will stand the colour and brightness.

She wants the plastic ceiling, but currently it is vetoed by me on the
grounds that she insists on downlighters too. I'm not putting up a
ceiling only to see it melt or discolour.

We're not married to the same woman are we...?

There are several questions I want to answer:

1) will a standard cast downlighter run cool enough for plastic?
2) will an IP65 downlighter run cool enough for plastic?
3) can we strand the colour of the light?
4) are they bright enough?

I'll report back.

This is exactly what I want to know, too: when will you have the answers
do you reckon?! I'm very tempted to wait...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Right - sorry for the delay - we tried it. TLC sent a 4.9 watt 4000K
(daylight) MR16 form factor LED, and I also got a 0-50watt transformer
from them, as all mine won't work on less than 10watt.

I replaced the hall light (normally a 50 watt dichroic MR16) and
waited for the explosion (SWMBO, not electrics . She noticed it. It
isn't quite as bright and the colour is very cold. Still, we
persisted for a week, and it isn't so bad when you get used to it. I
think we should have gone for a warm white. but they were out of stock
at the time (and still are).

I also emailed the manufacturers of plastic ceiling panels who said
that F-marked, fire-rated down-lighters with 35watt dichroic bulbs
should not present a problem.

So we are going to use that recommendation, with 0-50watt transformers,
so that they can be swapped to 4.9 watt 2700K LED's if we spot anything
untoward.

R.