Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default source of Schulte safety plug sought

Hi All
we have a Mountfield Princess Electric lawnmower. The power lead for
this ends with a two-way 'plug' (female socket really) with a sprung hinged
cover, which covers the live terminals when the plug is disconnected from
the combined socket/lever switch which is mounted on the mower.

I'm looking for another of these 'plugs' to make up another such lead.
Before I try Mountfield spares (likely to be pricey I imagine), I'm trying
to find an alternative supplier.

The plug is marked 'Schulte' and 'type 831' I haven't had much success
googling using these terms - any suggestions?

Thanks
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm looking for another of these 'plugs' to make up another such lead.
Before I try Mountfield spares (likely to be pricey I imagine), I'm trying
to find an alternative supplier.

The plug is marked 'Schulte' and 'type 831' I haven't had much success
googling using these terms - any suggestions?

when i had a strimmer with a proprietry plug into the handle and a stupidly
short cable supplied, i chopped the cable about 3 inches below the plug that
goes into the handle, then i bought a couple of sets of mower plug and
sockets from Been and Queued, put one set on the origional lead to allow me
to reconect it, and made up a longer lead using just one of the sockets from
the other set,

i thought about having a 3 pin plug to one of the mower plugs pig tail, then
have a selection of different length cables with the mower plugs and sockets
on each end, if i needed longer than the longest one, i could just plug in
another one between the long lead and the 3 pin pigtail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Gazz

when i had a strimmer with a proprietry plug into the handle and a
stupidly short cable supplied, i chopped the cable about 3 inches below
the plug that goes into the handle, then i bought a couple of sets of
mower plug and sockets from Been and Queued, put one set on the origional
lead to allow me to reconect it, and made up a longer lead using just one
of the sockets from the other set,

i thought about having a 3 pin plug to one of the mower plugs pig tail,
then have a selection of different length cables with the mower plugs and
sockets on each end, if i needed longer than the longest one, i could just
plug in another one between the long lead and the 3 pin pigtail.

That's the sort of thing I want to do, but have an RCD plug on the end of
the cable.

I'm not very impressed with the quality of most of the 2-pin 'outdoor
plug/socket' sets I see advertised - are there any better ones around?

Cheers
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 9:08*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi Gazz

[...]

What's wrong with them?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

[...]

I'm not very impressed with the quality of most of the 2-pin 'outdoor
plug/socket' sets I see advertised - are there any better ones around?

Cheers
J^n

What's wrong with them?

They are made of 'rubberised' plastic which isn't really, so they are hard
to mate properly and easy to damage when mating/demating. They are
unpolarised, which I dislike - I like to know my live from my neutral, even
if the device is double-insulated. And they are two-pin as well; I would
like 3-pin ones.

Apart from that, they're fine ;-)

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 11:06*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Tabby wrote:

[...]

I'm not very impressed with the quality of most of the 2-pin 'outdoor
plug/socket' sets I see advertised - are there any better ones around?

Cheers
J^n

What's wrong with them?

They are made of 'rubberised' plastic which isn't really, so they are hard
to mate properly and easy to damage when mating/demating. They are
unpolarised, which I dislike - I like to know my live from my neutral, even
if the device is double-insulated. And they are two-pin as well; I would
like 3-pin ones.

Apart from that, they're fine ;-)

* * J^n

They come in 2 and 3 pin variants, and polarised and unpolkarised.
I've never had them get damaged, but I've avoided the thinner walled
and more complex ones, sticking with the old fashioned round pin
types. Those are as robust as it gets.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 1:30*am, Tabby wrote:
On Jun 1, 11:06*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:

Tabby wrote:

[...]

[...]

PS if they didnt mate stiffly, theyd fall out during use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

They come in 2 and 3 pin variants, and polarised and unpolkarised.
I've never had them get damaged, but I've avoided the thinner walled
and more complex ones, sticking with the old fashioned round pin
types. Those are as robust as it gets.

Link please? Ta.

PS if they didnt mate stiffly, theyd fall out during use.

I know what you are saying, but the ones I have used I can see getting
damaged with relatively little use, due to the combination of the
deformability and strength of the material used. Sounds like you know of
better ones...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

Tabby wrote:

They come in 2 and 3 pin variants, and polarised and unpolkarised.
I've never had them get damaged, but I've avoided the thinner walled
and more complex ones, sticking with the old fashioned round pin
types. Those are as robust as it gets.

All my power tools, garden tools and extension leads are fitted with
2-pin Duraplugs, I dunno what the 20 year guarantee actually covers, but
I've never had any need to call on it

Link please? Ta.

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/mk-ele...mation.raction
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 8:15*am, The Night Tripper wrote:
Tabby wrote:

They come in 2 and 3 pin variants, and polarised and unpolkarised.
I've never had them get damaged, but I've avoided the thinner walled
and more complex ones, sticking with the old fashioned round pin
types. Those are as robust as it gets.

Link please? Ta.

PS if they didnt mate stiffly, theyd fall out during use.

I know what you are saying, but the ones I have used I can see getting
damaged with relatively little use, due to the combination of the
deformability and strength of the material used. Sounds like you know of
better ones...

* * J^n

Duraplug was mentioned, and really any make is good as long as you can
see its robustly made. Flying Dung brand should be fine. I dont know
where to look to buy them new, thre have always been more around than
needed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Night Tripper, Peter T wrote:
Same problem. Did you ever find a plug?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ht-709095-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 3:14:06 AM UTC, Peter T wrote:
replying to The Night Tripper, Peter T wrote:
Same problem. Did you ever find a plug?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ht-709095-.htm

If you ask via a proper Usenet posting (ie. not through H*m$Own$rsH!b)
I'll tell you

JKN, aka TnT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 9a2eefc1-fa44-4ade-8211-3771fcdcc4f7
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 3:14:06 AM UTC, Peter T wrote:
replying to The Night Tripper, Peter T wrote:
Same problem. Did you ever find a plug?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ht-709095-.htm

If you ask via a proper Usenet posting (ie. not through H*m$Own$rsH!b)
I'll tell you

He's probably given up after six and a half years and, even if
he did find one, probably doesn't frequent that stupid hub any
longer, anyway.

I'd never heard of a Schulte Safety Plug but it looks very
clever and the built in leverage to help ejection,
particularly for the elderly, is particularly clever although
I don't think that Schuko arrangement is really what was used
on his mower.

http://www.evoline.com/en/products/e...rofiles/third-
place-solutions/plug.html

Won't be suitable for conversion to a 13A version, though, as
it only works with recessed sockets.

--

Terry

---