Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard wired smoke alarms

We've had the health and safety in at work and they are insisting on
hard wired smoke alarms.

I'm unclear though as to whether we must have mains powered and
interconnected ones, or whether we could get the sort that can be wired
into an alarm system.

Anyone know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

We've had the health and safety in at work and they are insisting on
hard wired smoke alarms.

I'm unclear though as to whether we must have mains powered and
interconnected ones, or whether we could get the sort that can be wired
into an alarm system.

Anyone know?

All depends.
BS5839 is what counts.
Have a look he
http://www.ttsfire.co.uk/guide-bs5839.PDF
http://www.ttsfire.co.uk/bsdefinition.html
Googling gives loads more info.

Basically, small premises are probably better off with an interlinked
alarm (they are all mains powered with battery back-up), as you have got
less things to go wrong, and can see where the alarm has come from (when
one alarm sounds, all the others do at the same time)
Medium sized businesses will likely need interlinked alarms connected to
a control panel, so you can easily see where the alarm started.
It is all pretty straightforward.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HarryDE wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ms-708715-.htm
HarryDE wrote:

Oh goody, another web forum interface to usenet!

That said, your actual reply is certainly helpful, but why not join the
party properly?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._server_access

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 9:53*pm, R D S wrote:
We've had the health and safety in at work and they are insisting on
hard wired smoke alarms.

I'm unclear though as to whether we must have mains powered and
interconnected ones, or whether we could get the sort that can be wired
into an alarm system.

Anyone know?

The problem as I see it is the proliferation of Safety Inspection
companies some of which dont have a clue. Too many individuals seem to
have adopted the role of what if police.
the real government H&S organisationt may be able to give you guidance
as to the actual requirements of the law or point you to the relevant
legislation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2011 09:31, HarryDE wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ms-708715-.htm
HarryDE wrote:

Back to your question, do you really need to have hard wired alarms as a
small business? It is your decision! As long as you can ensure that every
area of your business is covered, that everybody can hear the alarms and
that there is no risk of the system going down etc, it is your choice
(some exceptions in hotels etc apply). Consider also wether the fire
brigade will be easily able to determine where the fire is (in large
premises you will need a panel for this purpose).

The H&S fella who came round and the fire officer have their knickers in
a twist because there is a guy living in a flat upstairs.

They are insisting on hard wired interconneted alarms, which I don't
mind fitting.

Thing is I have a spare alarm panel and it would be easier and cheaper
for me to fit this and some 12V smoke detectors.

But I can't get a straight answer out of the fire officer as to whether
this would be OK.