Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard wired smoke detector

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing
some home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there
doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air
slowly clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove
the battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning
off the power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the
wire and replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative
suggestions? Maybe installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored
wire?) on the power line leading to the unit? --------- paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand and model is the smoke detector? You may be able to go to the
company website and find a different detector of the same brand that is
compatible with your system, but which has a silence button feature on it.
Then just buy the replacement and switch it out with the one you have now.

Paul Oman wrote:
I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing
some home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there
doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the
air slowly clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just
remove the battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of
turning off the power? I am thinking about turning off the power,
cutting the wire and replacing unit with a battery model. Any
alternative suggestions? Maybe installing an on-off switch (attach to
which colored wire?) on the power line leading to the unit? ---------
paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Oman" wrote in message

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some
home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't
seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air slowly
clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove the
battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning off the
power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the wire and
replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative suggestions? Maybe
installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored wire?) on the power
line leading to the unit? --------- paul

The idea, is to not be able to permanently disable the thing. There are hard
wired models made that have a "Hush" button on them. If it is set off by
cooking, etc. you push the hush button and it will shut off for some
predetermined period of time and then reset.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 19, 4:56*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Paul Oman" wrote in message

[...]

yup, this. Also photos tend to get *more* sensitive as they age, as
dust buildup etc. decreases their alarm threshold. Simply replacing
the detector may solve your issue. (you didn't specify if it was a
photo or ion type detector)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Oman" wrote in message

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some
home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't
seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air slowly
clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove the
battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning off the
power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the wire and
replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative suggestions? Maybe
installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored wire?) on the power
line leading to the unit? --------- paul

*Replace it with a photoelectric type as they are less prone to nuisance
alarms from cooking. Disabling is not a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:37:42 -0500, Paul Oman
wrote:

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing
some home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there
doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air
slowly clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove
the battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning
off the power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the
wire and replacing unit with a battery model.

Don't do that.

Besides what they said, wave a hand fan or a newspaper vigorously and
blow fresh air into the smoke detector. I think that should be quite
a bit faster than the current plan.

Any alternative
suggestions? Maybe installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored
wire?) on the power line leading to the unit? --------- paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Oman" wrote in message

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some
home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't
seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air slowly
clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove the
battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning off the
power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the wire and
replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative suggestions? Maybe
installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored wire?) on the power
line leading to the unit? --------- paul

I had the same issue here, but my SO wouldn't let me change anything. She
uses it as a kitchen timer.