Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler[_3_] PanHandler[_3_] is offline

Default hard wired smoke detector

"Paul Oman" wrote in message

I have a hardwired smoke detector that came with my house. When doing some
home projects (and some cooking) the detector goes off and there doesn't
seem to be any way to turn it off. It just buzzes until the air slowly
clears. My other detectors are battery operated and I just remove the
battery.. Any suggestions on the wired detector short of turning off the
power? I am thinking about turning off the power, cutting the wire and
replacing unit with a battery model. Any alternative suggestions? Maybe
installing an on-off switch (attach to which colored wire?) on the power
line leading to the unit? --------- paul

I had the same issue here, but my SO wouldn't let me change anything. She
uses it as a kitchen timer.