Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing tarp between flat roof and house?

Damn weather! Weeks and weeks of arid hotness and the minute I decide
to rip the roof up... it p****s down!

Bog standard situation... rear extension to terraced house; flat roof
(slight fall to front); 17sqm; soil stack bang in the middle of rear
wall.

Just curious as to methods of securing a tarpaulin at the rear of the
flat roof (where it abuts the house wall)?

Existing flashing fell out, so not there to tuck the tarp under.

It's not for a long period (crosses fingers in hope)!

Anything quicker and easier than plug'n'screwed battens?

Anything that won't mark the paint on the wall?

Water proof duct tape?

cheers
d.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
deano writes
Damn weather! Weeks and weeks of arid hotness and the minute I decide
to rip the roof up... it p****s down!

Bog standard situation... rear extension to terraced house; flat roof
(slight fall to front); 17sqm; soil stack bang in the middle of rear
wall.

Just curious as to methods of securing a tarpaulin at the rear of the
flat roof (where it abuts the house wall)?

Existing flashing fell out, so not there to tuck the tarp under.

It's not for a long period (crosses fingers in hope)!

Anything quicker and easier than plug'n'screwed battens?

Anything that won't mark the paint on the wall?

Water proof duct tape?

A pair of eye bolts in the wall with a tensioned wire between them. That
will take the mechanical stress then you can look at temporary
weatherproofing of the joint to the wall if reqd.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 3:16*pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
deano writes

[...]

Good idea that... is that why I often see eye bolts in rear walls...
covered in multiple layers of masonry paint?

However... in my current sit, I have used a sheet of 1200gauge dpm
that I had laying around, therefore no eyelets to
thread a wire through... plus it would be involved if I had to keep
removing and replacing it whilst working in unsettled weather!

And, I still have the issue of dealing with water running down the
wall, behind the tensioned wire!

At this current time, I have nailed a batten down onto the rear arris
rail and also to the front of the window board, which seems to be
working for the most part, although I have warned the client that some
might get in, which is not a problem as they have been living with
leaks for about 3 months anyway
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
deano writes
On May 26, 3:16*pm, fred wrote:

A pair of eye bolts in the wall with a tensioned wire between them. That
will take the mechanical stress then you can look at temporary
weatherproofing of the joint to the wall if reqd.

Good idea that... is that why I often see eye bolts in rear walls...
covered in multiple layers of masonry paint?

However... in my current sit, I have used a sheet of 1200gauge dpm
that I had laying around, therefore no eyelets to
thread a wire through... plus it would be involved if I had to keep
removing and replacing it whilst working in unsettled weather!

So fold the edge over the wire and tape it back to itself.

Ever seen a reefed sail in olde hang 'm from the yardarm movies? Reef
(bundle/fold and tie) the sheeting when it needs to be held back.

And, I still have the issue of dealing with water running down the
wall, behind the tensioned wire!

Yes you will, some things have to be left as an exercise for the student
;-)
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Yes you will, some things have to be left as an exercise for the student ;-)

Ok.
Now how do I actually stop it from raining!