Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workmans braces - DIY and builders

My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they are.

I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good, or
if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men really like those
with patterns on - like builders and plumbers tools or should I get plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their trousers up can
give advice as to which they think are best?
Thankyou.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2011 09:02, sweetheart wrote:
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they are.

Big metal clips.

I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good,
or if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men really like
those with patterns on - like builders and plumbers tools or should I
get plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their trousers up
can give advice as to which they think are best?
Thankyou.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/page/find...=braces&page=1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 22/05/2011 09:02, sweetheart wrote:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/page/find...=braces&page=1

Thank you.

So most men are happy wearing those attractive sorts of braces are they?
Just wondering really

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

So most men are happy wearing those attractive sorts of braces are they?
Just wondering really

I'd have though most blokes wouldn't want anything too 'showy', though
Justin Urquhart Stewart seems to be something of an exception.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 12:09*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
So most men are happy wearing those attractive sorts of braces are they?
Just wondering really

I'd have though most blokes wouldn't want anything too 'showy', though
Justin Urquhart Stewart seems to be something of an exception.

the less noticeable the better I'd think

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 9:02*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
* My * dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. *he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

Axminster, most big toolshops, most places selling chainsaws.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they are.

They're OK. It depends on the trousers you're clipping them too -
jeans will hold, thin summer-weight trousers won't.

I wear braces a lot under suits. These still use buttons. Mostly I
have my suits made with buttons on the trouser waistband, but it's not
hard to add the buttons anyway. If you make trousers to a Victorian
pattern with a really high waist and a split in the rear waistband,
they need to be held up with braces because they're above where a belt
would sit anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they
are.

I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good, or
if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men really like those
with patterns on - like builders and plumbers tools or should I get
plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their trousers up
can give advice as to which they think are best?
Thankyou.

Hello
I have been wearing these braces with pictures of tools on them. I find them
very good and long lasting. One pair I have had for over 20 years and the
only problem was that the holes where the adjusting clip pivots became worn
but a pair of log nosed pliers fixed that. They have clips to hold the
trousers in place. That is possibly because I am obese and a belt is no
good.

Alan R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2011 15:41, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2011 09:02, sweetheart wrote:
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they
are.

I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good,
or if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men really like
those with patterns on - like builders and plumbers tools or should I
get plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their trousers up
can give advice as to which they think are best?

Someone bought me a set - wide elastic, with metal clips. I found them
particularly good for making use of elasticated waist trousers with
knackered elastic etc when doing extensive building work. Good for
occasions where you are reaching overhead repeatedly as well or using a
tool belt that would otherwise tend to pull your trousers down over time.

Ah. So you don't have a waist either :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans
up and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those
Tommy Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good
they are.
I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any
good, or if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men
really like those with patterns on - like builders and plumbers
tools or should I get plain?

You don't want to buy from eBay. Remember the problem you had with the
plates you tried to buy from there?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans
up and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those
Tommy Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good
they are.
I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any
good, or if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men
really like those with patterns on - like builders and plumbers
tools or should I get plain?

You don't want to buy from eBay. Remember the problem you had with the
plates you tried to buy from there?

Yes, I do recall, and I have not purchased from e Bay. I have ordered a
pair now from an online shop as linked. I got the ones with tools on. If he
doesn't like them he will have to wear them under his shirt or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On May 22, 9:02 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

They're OK. It depends on the trousers you're clipping them too -
jeans will hold, thin summer-weight trousers won't.

This is for jeans . Thanks

I wear braces a lot under suits. These still use buttons. Mostly I
have my suits made with buttons on the trouser waistband, but it's not
hard to add the buttons anyway.

I have seen some which use button fastening and I know I could sew the
buttons on if required but have chosen the clip thngs .

If you make trousers to a Victorian
pattern with a really high waist and a split in the rear waistband,
they need to be held up with braces because they're above where a belt
would sit anyway.

I have also come to the conclusion my OH has an unusually high waist ( Simon
Cowel style) and that is why his trousers have fallen down a lot - that and
the fact they seem to be making crotch/ waist short these days.

So anyone know any good high waist trouser makes?
Yes hubby has got a girth issue but not that much of one. He just seems to
have changed shape in old age ( turned 60)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roberts" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Hello
I have been wearing these braces with pictures of tools on them. I find
them very good and long lasting. One pair I have had for over 20 years and
the only problem was that the holes where the adjusting clip pivots became
worn but a pair of log nosed pliers fixed that. They have clips to hold
the trousers in place. That is possibly because I am obese and a belt is
no good.

OH wears a tool belt and keeps tons of stuff in his pockets which weighs
his trousers down. He used to wear overalls which id the builders bum and
kept his trousers in place to an extent. he has stopped wearing overalls and
now hitches his trousers every ten minutes - or err..... we have
embarrassment. So he said he wanted Tommy Walshes braces ( watching TV and
seeing the man on some DIY programme on digital?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 22/05/2011 15:41, John Rumm wrote:

Someone bought me a set - wide elastic, with metal clips. I found them
particularly good for making use of elasticated waist trousers with
knackered elastic etc when doing extensive building work. Good for
occasions where you are reaching overhead repeatedly as well or using a
tool belt that would otherwise tend to pull your trousers down over time.

This sounds like what OH wants too.

Ah. So you don't have a waist either :-)

My OH has a rather disappearing waist too, so in good company here?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 6:16*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

So anyone know any good high waist trouser makes?

Yes! Although you did say good, not cheap.
http://www.old-town.co.uk/products.htm
These are small-batch made top quality trousers to traditional
patterns, largely for the re-enactor and Chappist markets. £100 and
upwards a pair.

Mostly I make my own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On May 22, 6:16 pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

So anyone know any good high waist trouser makes?

Yes! Although you did say good, not cheap.
http://www.old-town.co.uk/products.htm
These are small-batch made top quality trousers to traditional
patterns, largely for the re-enactor and Chappist markets. £100 and
upwards a pair.

I can see they are quite pricey but if they fitted properly that would mean
they would last and be worn ( now I throw stuff away quite quickly. ) A
pair of wranglers costs me a small fortune from Matalan anyway.

Mostly I make my own.

Are you joking? How do you make your own? Trousers are one thing I would
draw a line at trying . I can make basic skirts and similar things but
trousers are a tailors job. Are you a tailor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

So anyone know any good high waist trouser makes?

http://www.chums.co.uk/products-HIGH...WILL_MX021.htm

n.b. this is not a fashion recommendation!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 6:31*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
So anyone know any good high waist trouser makes?

http://www.chums.co.uk/products-HIGH...XE-CAVALRY-TWI...

n.b. this is not a fashion recommendation!

Chums make trousers with raised waistbands, rather than a proper high
waist. They're OK if you're simply long in the body, but if you want
ones that fit like old trousers used to they're not the same thing.
The old style, and the style that needs braces rather than a belt, has
the waistband tilted forwards so that they're much higher at the back.
These keep your kidneys warm, they also fit better when sitting down.
The Chums style look bizarrely high at the front, giving the "Patrick
Moore" look. If you're not so slim, this can be a real "Humpty
Dumpty".

I do have some experience with Chums' trousers. My Dad, who is now
immobile and spends all day sitting down, has several pairs of their
"growing room" trousers. Despite trying to find him some with a proper
high rear waist, so as to fit better for someone who's sitting all
day, Chums' weren't it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 6:30*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Mostly I make my own.

Are you joking?

Well my jodhpurs are quite funny...

How do you make your own? *
Are you a tailor?

Well I guess I do tailoring, so you tell me.

Trousers aren't that hard. Easier than shirts or a good jacket. There
are only two really crucial measurements for most patterns on average
sizes, one is easy to measure and the other can be adjusted
afterwards. The sewing techniques are certainly easier than
shirtmaking. Women's trousers, for average shapes and sizes, are
easier than men's.

Simplest way is to just buy a pattern and go to it. As always,
Simplicity will be easiest but not a good result. McCalls and the like
is worth the small extra effort. Vogue often aren't, because if you're
working to that level, you should be drafting your own patterns to
measure. If you need guidance on sewing in general, browse charity
shops for a McCalls or Vogue book on sewing.

Next step is to buy David Page Coffin's book on trousermaking. Like
his earlier book on shirtmaking, it assumes that you can sew, and even
that you know the basics of how to put the garment together (you've
already made one from a pattern). Where it shines is in how to get the
details right, and how to make details that approach couture quality
(I also know how to sew to couture standards, but I know that I don't
have the skills to actually do it).

Mostly I draft my own patterns (the shaped and sized bits of card) by
following a ready drafted block (a set of instructions). These come
from either a 1930s set of tailor's handbooks (every pattern a working
tailor would need, including uniforms, bishop's breeches, golfing
outfits and how to hide the bloated bellies of fat capitalists). For
re-enactment there are _many_ books with similar blocks for patterns
of the 19th, 18th or even further back. If it's before 1600, ask Mary
or Kim for advice, not me.

Drafting patterns takes as long as cutting and sewing up a garment. It
also requires a lot of knowledge as to just what makes up a set of
trousers and where the extra flaps and thicknesses go. I don't
recommend it until you've made up at least one similar garment from a
worked pattern, but after that, go for it. The improved fit you can
get on your first garment is astonishing.

My jodhpurs were made (badly and quickly) because they were in the
1930s handbook and I just couldn't see how anything made from pieces
that shape could end up fitting the human leg. They fit perfectly. As
I do sometimes wear them, I really ought to make a better pair, with
better fabric and a little more care. I wore them just last Saturday,
to a Steampunk Ball.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62868462@N08/page2/
(This is the festival I've been organising lately)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just to update this. I have received the braces and OH is wearing them
They have hoisted his trousers quite nicely. So well done all.

The high waisted trousers I am still working on but have a couple of
possible ones under consideration.

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On May 22, 6:11 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
. I have ordered a
pair now from an online shop as linked. I got the ones with tools on. If
he
doesn't like them he will have to wear them under his shirt or something.

Won't that chafe his nipples?

Do I care if they hoist his trouses from round his nether regions to his
waist ( or somewhere near it? ;-) Anyway, he is wearing them over his tee
shirt because they look quite cool actually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 9:02*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
* My * dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. *he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they are.

I have seen them *on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good, or
if there is a really good brand to get? *Also , do men really like those
with patterns on *- like builders and plumbers tools or *should I get plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their *trousers up can
give advice as to which they think are best?
Thankyou.

Hide his builders bum ?
Whatever next ?
Only 7 sugars in his tea ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
writes
Just to update this. I have received the braces and OH is wearing them
They have hoisted his trousers quite nicely. So well done all.

The high waisted trousers I am still working on but have a couple of
possible ones under consideration.

I've not bought any lately but *working*Jeans purchased from builders
merchants/ agricultural agents have normal waists. Most of mine come
from M+S and stay up with a belt.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2011 09:02, sweetheart wrote:
My dearest beloved has said he wants some braces to hold his jeans up
and hide builders bum. he said you can get work braces like those Tommy
Walsh ( and Monty Don?) wear on TV.

My dad used to wear these in the 19 50's/60's but they had buttons in
trousers to hold them . Now they don't and I am not sure how good they are.

I have seen them on Amazon and eBay but wondered if they are any good,
or if there is a really good brand to get? Also , do men really like
those with patterns on - like builders and plumbers tools or should I
get plain?

Any men out there wearing these for their DIY to keep their trousers up
can give advice as to which they think are best?
Thankyou.

I don't really know the answer to this.

I do physical manual work from time to time, and my jeans remain
correctly positioned.

So I'm now researching the root cause of 'builders bottom'.

Is it due to the style of jeans ( modern ones seem to be 'low-rider'
which sit lower than older ones like I wear, below the hip bone )? Mine
have a waist band above my hip-bones, and cannot be pulled down over my
hips.

Is it due to body shape? I have a waist: I'm slightly wider around the
hips than the waist. If you were a 'fatty', then do the jeans
'roller-blind' down the way?

I really don't know the answer.
Perhaps a combination of both?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

[much good stuff as always]

Hi Andy
thanks for the useful info, eg. the David Page Coffin refernce. I
have a hankering to make myself some pants & will check this one out.

Where did you get your set of '30's pattern books BTW? I chatted to a tailor
once and something like this was one of his prize possesions. Short of
coming across them in carity bookshop I'm not sure where to look...

Cheers
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 25 May,
Tim Lamb wrote:

I've not bought any lately but *working*Jeans purchased from builders
merchants/ agricultural agents have normal waists. Most of mine come
from M+S and stay up with a belt.

I'm having trouble with M&S trousers. It seems also to affect other high
street stores, I think Debenhams is the same. The length of the zips has
reduced so much almost that the waist has to be opened to drop them to ****.

The two recent pairs I have bought that have had decent length zips have been
from Screwfix and Go Outdoors, the latter were Craghoppers.

I guess the high street stores are buying from cut price suppliers with poor
quality standards. How much does 1" off a zip reduce the price I wonder.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 10:31*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:

Where did you get your set of '30's pattern books BTW?

Charity shop 8-) eBay and Abe have them too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 00:55:34 +0100, wrote:

On 25 May,
Tim Lamb wrote:

I've not bought any lately but *working*Jeans purchased from builders
merchants/ agricultural agents have normal waists. Most of mine come
from M+S and stay up with a belt.

I'm having trouble with M&S trousers. It seems also to affect other high
street stores, I think Debenhams is the same. The length of the zips has
reduced so much almost that the waist has to be opened to drop them to ****.

The two recent pairs I have bought that have had decent length zips have been
from Screwfix and Go Outdoors, the latter were Craghoppers.

I guess the high street stores are buying from cut price suppliers with poor
quality standards. How much does 1" off a zip reduce the price I wonder.

The zips are probably the right length for people who wear their
trousers 'low slung.' As someone who doesn't, my experience has been
the same as yours.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Too late now to buy these: http://allegoric.us/jLphKK