Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door-Braces

My neighbor bought a new garage door that is up to code for hurricanes.
We had ours re-enforced last year but it is not up to code - we have
no vertical braces.

Neighbor said Home Depot or Lowe's had them....they are metal poles,
about 4 x 4, that attach to the wall and the floor. You take them off
when you don't need them...and just leave the hardware (a flat plate)
on the floor and wall.

Does anyone know how much these costs? Are they hard to install? Last
year I looked for them but could not find them here....not sure I asked
in the right department. Any info would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
My neighbor bought a new garage door that is up to code for hurricanes.
We had ours re-enforced last year but it is not up to code - we have
no vertical braces.

Neighbor said Home Depot or Lowe's had them....they are metal poles,
about 4 x 4, that attach to the wall and the floor. You take them off
when you don't need them...and just leave the hardware (a flat plate)
on the floor and wall.

Does anyone know how much these costs? Are they hard to install? Last
year I looked for them but could not find them here....not sure I asked
in the right department. Any info would be appreciated.

Here's a google link to a lot of webpages:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...race+hurricane

This one might be what you are looking for:

http://www.solarxsarasota.com/windloadbraces.html

I would think you could make one out of 2x4's a lot cheaper than you could
buy it. Storage would not be nearly as simple.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

The trick is how to attach it to wall and floor - so it can be taken up
when not needed. It has to be attached with something that goes into
the floor and wall (or ceiling) deep enough that it won't pull out
easily.