Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting metal braces

I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure they are good and clean... no grease. A trip through the
dishwasher would do the trick nicely. Spray multiple thin coats, let
dry well between coats. Since there are holes, painting is easier --
use pieces of thin wire and hang them up to spray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 8:46 PM, deadgoose wrote:
Make sure they are good and clean... no grease. A trip through the
dishwasher would do the trick nicely. Spray multiple thin coats, let
dry well between coats. Since there are holes, painting is easier --
use pieces of thin wire and hang them up to spray.

or stick them on a pole?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 8:46 PM, deadgoose wrote:
Make sure they are good and clean... no grease. A trip through the
dishwasher would do the trick nicely. Spray multiple thin coats, let
dry well between coats. Since there are holes, painting is easier --
use pieces of thin wire and hang them up to spray.

how many layers of primer and paint coating?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 8:14*pm, dilbert firestorm
wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. *do I need anything else for finish?

Before you push the button on the primer, Google Hammerite paint. It
goes on bare steel and it's good stuff. Easy to repair, textured
gives such things a nice look, hard. It's good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 8:14 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

If they are the usual 'bright' anodized finish, scuff them up with a
brown scotchbrite pad, and degrease well. Paint often doesn't stick real
well to plated parts, so don't be disappointed if it flakes off in a
couple of months.

Once you are done, post pictures someplace, with a link back here. At
this point, lots of us are curious.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 11:18 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/21/2011 8:14 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

If they are the usual 'bright' anodized finish, scuff them up with a
brown scotchbrite pad, and degrease well. Paint often doesn't stick real
well to plated parts, so don't be disappointed if it flakes off in a
couple of months.

Once you are done, post pictures someplace, with a link back here. At
this point, lots of us are curious.

they are zinc plated

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 9:34 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 21, 8:14 pm, dilbert
wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

Before you push the button on the primer, Google Hammerite paint. It
goes on bare steel and it's good stuff. Easy to repair, textured
gives such things a nice look, hard. It's good.

that's an interesting brand of paint spray. does this play well with
zinc plates that home depot sells? I know they also sell steel angles
of the same type (they are a little bigger) in the lumber section.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, take yourself and your spouse to dinner with the money
you saved.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint
spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:18*am, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/21/2011 8:14 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

If they are the usual 'bright' anodized finish, scuff them up with a
brown scotchbrite pad, and degrease well. Paint often doesn't stick real
well to plated parts, so don't be disappointed if it flakes off in a
couple of months.

While this tangent doesn't necessarily apply to dilbert firestorm's
situation, if anyone does try to paint over those brass-like finishes
on many household brackets (and more), be advised they often have a
plastic-like protective finish coat that will cause the paint to come
loose down the road. Use fine-grade steel wool to gently remove that
finish and get down to the true metal before you paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
*I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
*a primer spray can. *do I need anything else for finish?

Before you push the button on the primer, Google Hammerite paint. *It
goes on bare steel and it's good stuff. *Easy to repair, textured
gives such things a nice look, hard. *It's good.

that's an interesting brand of paint spray. *does this play well with
zinc plates that home depot sells? *I know they also sell steel angles
of the same type (they are a little bigger) in the lumber section.

Zinc has to be primed with Hammerite. I thought you had bare steel.
I didn't see the part where you said they were plated. Hammerite's
good stuff, but it's probably not worth stripping the zinc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 21, 7:14*pm, dilbert firestorm
wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. *do I need anything else for finish?

--
---= -Dilbert Firestorm- =---
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

The directions are printed on the spray cans. Did you bother to read
them? Manufacturers generally have good instructions with their
products. Deviation from them can be a disaster on occasion. If the
products are zinc plated, try a real paint store for something that
will work best. The dishwasher trick for cleaning above is a good one,
too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2011 6:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, take yourself and your spouse to dinner with the money
you saved.

wish that were the case, eye don't have a spouse

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2011 11:49 AM, Joe wrote:
On Feb 21, 7:14 pm, dilbert
wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

--
---= -Dilbert Firestorm- =---
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

The directions are printed on the spray cans. Did you bother to read
them? Manufacturers generally have good instructions with their
products. Deviation from them can be a disaster on occasion. If the
products are zinc plated, try a real paint store for something that
will work best. The dishwasher trick for cleaning above is a good one,
too.

Joe

I haven't bought the black spray can yet. I do have the primer spray
can, which I bought last year, for another project which I've not
started on.

I didn't know painting over zinc is a bit of an issue with paints.
which is why I didn't read the cans.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2011 10:49 AM, RicodJour wrote:

wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

Before you push the button on the primer, Google Hammerite paint. It
goes on bare steel and it's good stuff. Easy to repair, textured
gives such things a nice look, hard. It's good.

that's an interesting brand of paint spray. does this play well with
zinc plates that home depot sells? I know they also sell steel angles
of the same type (they are a little bigger) in the lumber section.

Zinc has to be primed with Hammerite. I thought you had bare steel.
I didn't see the part where you said they were plated. Hammerite's
good stuff, but it's probably not worth stripping the zinc. ;

btw, L/T steel strap at Home Depot are galvanized, I''d problems
painting that too.

bare steel, as in cold steel?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 5:37*am, dilbert firestorm
wrote:
On 2/22/2011 11:49 AM, Joe wrote:

On Feb 21, 7:14 pm, dilbert
wrote:
*I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
*a primer spray can. *do I need anything else for finish?

*--
*---= -Dilbert Firestorm- =---
*Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

The directions are printed on the spray cans. Did you bother to read
them? Manufacturers generally have good instructions with their
products. Deviation from them can be a disaster on occasion. If the
products are zinc plated, try a real paint store for something that
will work best. The dishwasher trick for cleaning above is a good one,
too.

Joe

I haven't bought the black spray can yet. *I do have the primer spray
can, which I bought last year, for another project which I've not
started on.

I didn't know painting over zinc is a bit of an issue with paints. *
which is why I didn't read the cans.

--
---= -Dilbert Firestorm- =---
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Be careful with mixing brands of primer vs. paint.

I know of cases where they didn't play well together.

Certain primers contain certain materials that might not mix well with
other-brand finish paints.

I know a guy who primed a large object with Rustoleum spray primer. He
then took it to an automotive shop to have it painted and the paint
wouldn't stick.

Something about fish-oils in the Rustoleum primer requiring Rustoleum
finish paint. The facts could be off, but the auto shop basically said
that they could not paint it without sanding, sealing, sanding and re-
priming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2011 8:14 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

What the heck am I missing? Painting metal braces? What kind of metal
braces, the ones they put on to make your teeth straight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2011 5:52 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 2/21/2011 8:14 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

What the heck am I missing? Painting metal braces? What kind of metal
braces, the ones they put on to make your teeth straight?

ugh, no, they go by a number of different names.. braces, brackets,
plates, straps.

the one I have is a zinc plated steel L and T Brace or flat plate.

hope this is clear as mud.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2011 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 23, 5:37 am, dilbert
wrote:
On 2/22/2011 11:49 AM, Joe wrote:

On Feb 21, 7:14 pm, dilbert
wrote:
[...]

ok, thanx for the tip.

I did have a generic white spray can from a different manufacturer, but
that was for another purpose.

I'll be sure to get the same kind of manufacturer the primer is with.

as for the primer, I have a Krylon primer

http://www.krylon.com/products/rust_tough_primer/

I have the zinc rich primer kind.

I read the directions, but I didn't see anything on there that mentions
zinc. it says paints all metals.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm gonna paint the metal braces black, I brought a paint spray can, and
a primer spray can. do I need anything else for finish?

Before you push the button on the primer, Google Hammerite paint. It
goes on bare steel and it's good stuff. Easy to repair, textured
gives such things a nice look, hard. It's good.

that's an interesting brand of paint spray. does this play well with
zinc plates that home depot sells? I know they also sell steel angles
of the same type (they are a little bigger) in the lumber section.

Zinc has to be primed with Hammerite. I thought you had bare steel.
I didn't see the part where you said they were plated. Hammerite's
good stuff, but it's probably not worth stripping the zinc.

stripping zinc seems like alot of work.

do you know where I can bare steel plates with or without holes? I'm
sure they are shops that sell this stufff at a reasonable price.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, eye see!

Eye don't eyether.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
On 2/22/2011 6:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, take yourself and your spouse to dinner with the
money
you saved.

wish that were the case, eye don't have a spouse

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

painting metal gutters george [dicegeorge] UK diy 9 February 26th 10 07:33 PM
Painting metal (a van) Jonelle[_2_] UK diy 23 November 3rd 09 12:05 AM
painting wood and metal benpost UK diy 4 July 9th 08 10:28 PM
Help with painting metal railing? john Home Repair 12 July 27th 06 01:27 PM
Painting metal Dorothy Roper Home Repair 1 August 13th 05 04:43 PM