Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting metal gutters

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

I used a marine epoxy paint system on gutters I put up nearly 30 years
ago. When I passed by the house recently, they still looked good.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 12:20*am, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

hammerite pinholes badly, I'd forget that one

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:20:50 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"
hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink
that money could buy:

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

I would use the Dulux metalshield and underecoat. Not exactly the
weather if you are in UK ?

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge]
wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 00:20

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

Cast iron, aluminium or pressed steel? (or other!)???

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
george [dicegeorge]
wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 00:20

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

Cast iron, aluminium or pressed steel? (or other!)???

cast iron, victorian-ish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge]
wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 10:36

Tim Watts wrote:
george [dicegeorge]
wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 00:20

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

Cast iron, aluminium or pressed steel? (or other!)???

cast iron, victorian-ish

OK - otherwise I was going to say, don't forget to use the correct primer
for ali...

I'm looking with interest at this - I have a load of perfectly good very
solid ali gutters to take down, repaint and refit (clips have fallen and
joints are leaking everywhere).

I like the sound of the epoxy, though with mine it's only painted for
presentational reasons - the ali is 1/8" thick and will probably last
forever even without paint.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long
as hammerite on the gutters?

I used a marine epoxy paint system on gutters I put up nearly 30 years
ago. When I passed by the house recently, they still looked good.

Colin Bignell

possible,
googling hasnt found me any though,
marine chandlers seem to double the price of everything,
maybe from a car spares place?
30 year finish seems worth the extra expense.
the slates should last a hundred years!
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I used a marine epoxy paint system on gutters I put up nearly 30 years
ago. When I passed by the house recently, they still looked good.

In a marine environment epoxy paint and two-pack polyurethane lasts
about 10 years if applied properly. I used a two-pack "Crystal"
polyurethane varnish for interior woodwork on a boat and after fifteen
years it still looks like new. The exterior has needed a new coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters.
I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as
hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]

thanks for the advice -
I went with the advice of the local steel man and got what he calls
'chassis paint':
Jotun ConSeal TouchUp
http://www.jotun.com/jotun/paints/20020020.nsf/wvwProductDatabase/99F1A44244B17910C1256595004DEFB9/$file/TDS%20-%20Conseal%20Touch-Up%20-%20English%20(uk)%20-%20Issued.19.03.2008.pdf

http://www.jotun.com/