Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine - overfilling

I have a washing machine which will fill itself to the brim and overflow if
allowed. Even if I thump the vacuum switch it'll still continue filling.

It has a pipe connected to the drum (somewhere) and the other end to a
vacuum operated switch with 3 contacts. I can confirm this works.

If whilst it is filling up I can blow into the pipe and pinch it, then
replace back onto the vacuum switch, release the pinch in the pipe and the
machine stops filling. Indeed I can rock the machine on either side and the
switch will click on and off.

I tried silicon grease to seal any air leaks but it still exhibits this
behaviour.

Any ideas - apart from a new washing machine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 4:44*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:

Any ideas - apart from a new washing machine?

Check that the pressure bottle (low down on the bottom of the drum,
where the hose connects) is clean inside - especially for Zanussi.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 4:44*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
I have a washing machine which will fill itself to the brim and overflow if
allowed. *Even if I thump the vacuum switch it'll still continue filling.

It has a pipe connected to the drum (somewhere) and the other end to a
vacuum operated switch with 3 contacts. *I can confirm this works.

If whilst it is filling up I can blow into the pipe and pinch it, then
replace back onto the vacuum switch, release the pinch in the pipe and the
machine stops filling. *Indeed I can rock the machine on either side and the
switch will click on and off.

I tried silicon grease to seal any air leaks but it still exhibits this
behaviour.

Any ideas - apart from a new washing machine?

Also dont overlook the possibility of a pinprick sized airleak. That
would work fine when you blow in, but wouldnt work during wash cycle.

Worst case is a new pressure switch with its tube attached.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2011 22:01, Tabby wrote:
On May 18, 4:44 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
I have a washing machine which will fill itself to the brim and overflow if
allowed. Even if I thump the vacuum switch it'll still continue filling.

It has a pipe connected to the drum (somewhere) and the other end to a
vacuum operated switch with 3 contacts. I can confirm this works.

If whilst it is filling up I can blow into the pipe and pinch it, then
replace back onto the vacuum switch, release the pinch in the pipe and the
machine stops filling. Indeed I can rock the machine on either side and the
switch will click on and off.

I tried silicon grease to seal any air leaks but it still exhibits this
behaviour.

Any ideas - apart from a new washing machine?

Also dont overlook the possibility of a pinprick sized airleak. That
would work fine when you blow in, but wouldnt work during wash cycle.

The Hoover washing machines used to be bad for this. The pipe would rub against
its [sharp] spring clips on the spin cycle and eventually wear through. You know
it is worn through when it floods the kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 4:44*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
I have awashingmachinewhich will fill itself to the brim and overflow if
allowed. *Even if I thump the vacuum switch it'll still continue filling.

It has a pipe connected to the drum (somewhere) and the other end to a
vacuum operated switch with 3 contacts. *I can confirm this works.

If whilst it is filling up I can blow into the pipe and pinch it, then
replace back onto the vacuum switch, release the pinch in the pipe and themachinestops filling. *Indeed I can rock themachineon either side and the
switch will click on and off.

I tried silicon grease to seal any air leaks but it still exhibits this
behaviour.

Any ideas - apart from a newwashingmachine?

I apologise for not replying here earlier, but with the build of a new
PC which doesn't have Outlook Express and bein short of time, I'm
afraid this has been put on a back burner. Any ideas of news readers
which behave like OE?

First of all the pipe was in good condition. I took the vacuum unit
apart and used silicone grease to make sure that there were no leaks
and that it functioned correctly. There is a bell type structure
where the pipe is fitted above the pump, but this this is near
impossible to gain internal access to because of internal structures.

I still found that the machine would overfill.

I then took the pipe to a lower level and emptied a bowl-full to
ensure there were no blockages. Water seem to flow freely, though
this would have been after blowing into the pipe.

The machine worked for a while, but soon returned to it's old antics.

This time I did a boil wash (up to now its always been used for 40degs
cool washes) and emptied a bowl-full of very hot water to try and
clear and dissolve any blockage.

It has now worked a number of times reliably, though still not
confident of leaving it unattended!!

oil/grease on washing from the washing machine Dave UK diy 7 January 10th 11 05:15 PM
Toilet Bowl Overfilling Rex Home Repair 8 December 13th 05 12:17 PM
washing machine PATRICK LARVIN UK diy 16 October 28th 05 07:13 PM
Washing machine wmhxm04 Electronics Repair 1 June 1st 05 07:15 AM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM