Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason Jason is offline

Default Washing machine - overfilling

On 19/05/2011 22:01, Tabby wrote:
On May 18, 4:44 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
I have a washing machine which will fill itself to the brim and overflow if
allowed. Even if I thump the vacuum switch it'll still continue filling.

It has a pipe connected to the drum (somewhere) and the other end to a
vacuum operated switch with 3 contacts. I can confirm this works.

If whilst it is filling up I can blow into the pipe and pinch it, then
replace back onto the vacuum switch, release the pinch in the pipe and the
machine stops filling. Indeed I can rock the machine on either side and the
switch will click on and off.

I tried silicon grease to seal any air leaks but it still exhibits this
behaviour.

Any ideas - apart from a new washing machine?

Also dont overlook the possibility of a pinprick sized airleak. That
would work fine when you blow in, but wouldnt work during wash cycle.

The Hoover washing machines used to be bad for this. The pipe would rub against
its [sharp] spring clips on the spin cycle and eventually wear through. You know
it is worn through when it floods the kitchen.