Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing pine worktop

Redoing kitchen, have had montana cypress 3inch thick worktops made,
what is the best way to seal them. I don't want to darken ie orange
the colour, which is nice and light at the moment, and end up with a
satin/eggshell finish. So far I have had water based varnish or
cellulose 2 part Morrells sugested, any advice would be great.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2011 11:47, rog wrote:
Redoing kitchen, have had montana cypress 3inch thick worktops made,
what is the best way to seal them. I don't want to darken ie orange
the colour, which is nice and light at the moment, and end up with a
satin/eggshell finish. So far I have had water based varnish or
cellulose 2 part Morrells sugested, any advice would be great.

If you wipe the surface with white spirit, you'll see what the effects
of a clear finish would be. All sanded wood looks pale, but sometimes it
has a pinky hue and the finish gets the blame.
I wouldn't use any water based formulation on a worktop. Two pack
products are normally very tough and totally clear (i.e. not cloudy clear)

sealing upstands to worktop benpost UK diy 0 May 26th 08 02:47 PM
Sealing Pine Knots efgh Woodworking 35 October 26th 07 10:38 PM
Sealing D-Select Pine news.east.cox.net Woodworking 2 October 11th 06 08:33 PM
sealing worktop cut edges Philip Thompson UK diy 6 February 1st 06 10:16 PM
Worktop to wall (sealing) John Greenwood UK diy 27 October 3rd 03 09:29 AM