Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Default Defeating security Torx

Windmill wrote:

I'm wondering if the bean counters have forced the same mis design on
today's UK toasters. (Or are they all computer-controlled? A

Mine is / was a cheap Moulinex. No sensors coming from the toasting
area that I could make out. Control knob controls a variable resistor.
I'm guessing it works on time taken to charge a capacitor up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Richard Robinson wrote:

I've bought 2 toasters in the last dozen years, for a total of £17 or £18
quid. I don't eat a huge amount of toast, right enough, and there is only 1
of me. But I can't see how it's possible that my Toast User Experience could
have been enhanced by having spent ten times that.

You have failed to put any value on the smug feeling you get from seeing
a shiny Dualit in the kitchen. And when you lever the toast out,
telling yourself "there, that's proper engineering, that is".

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:

No-one has yet suggested 'angle grinder'. What's going on here?

A sudden outbreak of prudence in uk.d-i-y. How very worrying.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Halmyre wrote:

No-one has yet suggested 'angle grinder'. What's going on here?

A sudden outbreak of prudence in uk.d-i-y. How very worrying.

Obllcosk, my welder suggestion can take on a nangle grinder any day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

(Even SWMBO agrees that our Dualit toaster takes too long to actually,
you know, /toast/ stuff.)

You must have something dreadfully wrong. A 4 slot Dualit can do over 100
slices an hour.

For most people, toasting is a matter of latency not throughput.

-- Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In article , Huge wrote:

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making toast.

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

What I'd really like is for it to make the bread uniformly brown and
crisp, on both sides, in a reasonably short time. In fact, when the
middle of one side is brown and crisp, the top and bottom are still
soft, and the other side is slightly warm.

It works *slightly* better if you leave it turned on for a couple of
minutes immediately before putting the bread in. The instructions
however warn against turning it on without bread in.

There is probably some ISO standard bread slice that it works for,
just as my dishwasher can allegedly hold 8 ISO standard place
settings.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

No-one has yet suggested 'angle grinder'. What's going on here?

A sudden outbreak of prudence in uk.d-i-y. How very worrying.

It's the moderating influence of uk.misc.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On Wed, 11 May 2011 15:12:29 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

(Even SWMBO agrees that our Dualit toaster takes too long to actually,
you know, /toast/ stuff.)

You must have something dreadfully wrong. A 4 slot Dualit can do over
100 slices an hour.

For most people, toasting is a matter of latency not throughput.

-- Richard

In this case the two are related. 2.5 minutes maximum; I find enough to
do getting the Marmite out, plus plate, knife etc. not to mention the
kettle and the coffee.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2011-05-11, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , Huge wrote:

My Dualit is over 10 years old.

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making toast.

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

A toast-cam. An IPv4 stack. A wifi interface.

I could ask for an IPv6 stack but that would be silly. Obviously.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2011-05-11, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , Huge wrote:

My Dualit is over 10 years old.

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making toast.

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

A toast-cam. An IPv4 stack. A wifi interface.

I could ask for an IPv6 stack but that would be silly. Obviously.

Hold out for a robot butler, and leave the implementation details to it.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

August West wrote:

Indeed, I belvie
their major DIY stores (Castorama) own the larger UK ones (B&Q), now.

Other way around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2011-05-11, Graham Nye wrote:
On 11/05/2011 15:29, Huge wrote:

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

A toast-cam. An IPv4 stack. A wifi interface.

Damn. You're right.

I did wonder about a voice interface but I suspect we all know where that
ends up.

(If you don't it's documented he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec .)

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:31:48 +0100, Amethyst Deceiver
wrote the following to uk.misc:

Jeez, this is probably the cruellest thread I've read on uk.misc.
Gluten-free toast just isn't the same.

Have you tried the Warburtons stuff yet?
http://www.glutenandwheatfree.co.uk/

Not impressed. It's like they stole Glutafin's 3-years-ago recipe for
brown. Scrip Glutafin is much better these days, and if one's going to
pay, Genius is still the only game in town.

--
A fine wine may be judged with only one sip,
but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On May 11, 11:52*pm, Marcus Houlden wrote:

Have you tried the Warburtons stuff yet?http://www.glutenandwheatfree.co.uk/

Not seen that one, but the other recent fresh (rather than packaged)
versions are pretty convincing. That said, the packaged stuff has its
uses - because each roll etc is normally individually packed, it suits
me living on my own quite well - a lot less waste than normal bread.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On May 12, 1:03*am, Dave Budd wrote:

Not impressed. It's like they stole Glutafin's 3-years-ago recipe for
brown. Scrip Glutafin is much better these days, and if one's going to
pay, Genius is still the only game in town.

That's the one I was thinking of - *very* convincing!

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/11 17:13, Adrian C wrote:
On 10/05/2011 16:50, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

Much less fun. Slower, too. I live in a land far far away from the
concept of DIY. So I pretty much *have* to order this sort of thing
from the UK.

I eventually noticed that one of my cheap'n'nasty sets of fold-out
Torx drivers were of the anti-anti-bozo type anyway.

And having inspected the leccytronics inside - it's transistorised,
FFS - I don't think there's much I can do.

Yup, should have had a valve in there to warm the toast up... progress, what
are they thinking off?

Mhmm, I'd quite like a toaster built to toast bread with a laser beam. With
the right guidance, it could write the morning paper's headlines on there, an
image of the lass on page 3, or scribe the time the slice came out of the
toaster so ye could choose the freshest bit.

OK, this should be possible with DIY. How many mW or MW required?

Probably not that different in concept to the "lightscribe" cdrw drives,
which burn the data onto one side, and a text/image "label" onto the other...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Neil Williams wrote:

Not seen that one, but the other recent fresh (rather than packaged)
versions are pretty convincing. That said, the packaged stuff has its
uses - because each roll etc is normally individually packed, it suits
me living on my own quite well - a lot less waste than normal bread.

That seriously ****es off my mother who complains that the Glutafin (I
think) stuff she has to buy in bulk now has so much packaging that the
box is three times the size of the product.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

[...]

This is a problem I've investigated in the past as part of a larger
project. There are two possible approaches. You can use a high-power
laser to simultaneously cut the loaf and toast both sides of the cut. A
100W carbon-dioxide laser would be ideal. But that wouldn't be able to
scribe data on to the surface.

The alternative is to separate the slicing and engraving processes.
There is a choice here too. You could drop the sliced toast on to a
conveyor and pass it under a scanning laser, again carbon dioxide is
best, about 20W should do it. However again I have a preferred
alternative. Slice the bread and drop the slice down a shaft where it
can be processed as it goes past various processing stations.

The first would probably be the toaster/engraver. The precise text
engraved on the toast might be either the specification for the toast
e.g. colour (ranging from Caucasian through Arab and Zulu to Ibo) butter
or low-fat spread, marmalade, Marmite or Vegemite. It be better to have
the users store a preferred toast profile on the system in which case
the toast simply needs to bear the name of the intended recipient.

The next processing station would apply butter or other spread. A
xerographic technique seems simplest. Apply a static electrical charge
to one side of the toast using a corona electrode. Pass the slice
through a spray of oppositely charged butter droplets.

The same process can be used to apply Marmite or Vegemite if required.
Marmalade or Jam do present a further problem though. Xerographic
application of the base fruit coulis is easy but separate processes will
need to be used for the application of raspberry pips or orange peel as
appropriate.

Finally a corona electrode will apply a charge to one side of the toast
so that an electrostatic deflector can flip it so that it arrives with
the correct alignment.

Further research is needed on some adjunct processes. For instance how
to slice and grill the bacon so that it arrives in the correct alignment
on the butter-side up slice before deposition of the butter-side down
slice to complete a bacon butty.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

[...]

Have I got this right? The sheddi way is to say H!TFD Yes?

Anyway, what I mean is Bravo! applause!

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

[...]

Nugger

Wrong group.

Just Bravo! applause! then

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On May 12, 12:10*pm, Willy Eckerslyke
wrote:

That seriously ****es off my mother who complains that the Glutafin (I
think) stuff she has to buy in bulk now has so much packaging that the
box is three times the size of the product.

I guess she eats lots of bread, then? Before I discovered my issues
with gluten, I used to chuck half a loaf away very frequently, and was
never quite disciplined/organised enough to freeze it.

It makes sense to me to package individually as usually only one
person in a household is so afflicted.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2011-05-11, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article , Huge wrote:

If ever a toaster worked reliably for more than about 12 months, all the
toaster manufacturers would go bust.

My Dualit is over 10 years old.

I have one of them. *It's reliable, just not very good at making toast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 11:23*am, Bernard Peek wrote:
This is a problem I've investigated in the past as part of a larger
project. There are two possible approaches. You can use a high-power
laser to simultaneously cut the loaf and toast both sides of the cut. A
100W carbon-dioxide laser would be ideal. But that wouldn't be able to
scribe data on to the surface.

The alternative is to separate the slicing and engraving processes.
There is a choice here too.

[Snip]

You are Wallace, and I claim my five pounds.

Love it :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

wrote:

That seriously ****es off my mother who complains that the Glutafin (I
think) stuff she has to buy in bulk now has so much packaging that the
box is three times the size of the product.

I guess she eats lots of bread, then?

No. She lives out in the sticks and has to get it from a chemist who
refuses to sell individual loaves.

Before I discovered my issues
with gluten, I used to chuck half a loaf away very frequently, and was
never quite disciplined/organised enough to freeze it.

She does have to freeze most of it - half a freezer full every time.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley spouted forth:

On May 10, 12:33Â*pm, wrote:

Why not buy a new one and avoid electrocution?

Because then MI5 would have to break in again to re-install the bug in
it, and I've only just had the carpets cleaned.

When I make toast in mine, it comes out with an image of Mike Corley's
face printed on it.

Sure its his face not his ass?

There again they probably look the same.
--
I like being hairy, I'd rather not be a monster
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-05-11, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making toast.

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you need?

What I'd really like is for it to make the bread uniformly brown and
crisp, on both sides, in a reasonably short time. In fact, when the
middle of one side is brown and crisp, the top and bottom are still
soft, and the other side is slightly warm.

Weird. That's not what mine does.

I had a Dualit on holiday a few years back, I was expecting it to make
the bread uniformly brown and crisp, on both sides but it came out with
the middle of one side brown and crisp, the top and bottom soft, and the
other side is slightly warm. Decided they must be style over substance.

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-05-11, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

I have one of them. It's reliable, just not very good at making
toast.

In what way? Mine makes bread go brown and crispy. What else do you
need?

What I'd really like is for it to make the bread uniformly brown and
crisp, on both sides, in a reasonably short time. In fact, when the
middle of one side is brown and crisp, the top and bottom are still
soft, and the other side is slightly warm.

Weird. That's not what mine does.

I had a Dualit on holiday a few years back, I was expecting it to make
the bread uniformly brown and crisp, on both sides but it came out with
the middle of one side brown and crisp, the top and bottom soft, and the
other side is slightly warm. Decided they must be style over substance.

Consistent with using a slot that wasn't enabled with the 'number of
slices' switch. I had some nice uniform tast from ours for lunch.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In message , Bob Eager
writes

I had a Dualit on holiday a few years back, I was expecting it to make
the bread uniformly brown and crisp, on both sides but it came out with
the middle of one side brown and crisp, the top and bottom soft, and the
other side is slightly warm. Decided they must be style over substance.

Consistent with using a slot that wasn't enabled with the 'number of
slices' switch. I had some nice uniform tast from ours for lunch.

OK, ta, I'll bear it in mind should I come across one again.

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

wrote:

That seriously ****es off my mother who complains that the Glutafin (I
think) stuff she has to buy in bulk now has so much packaging that the
box is three times the size of the product.

I guess she eats lots of bread, then?

No. She lives out in the sticks and has to get it from a chemist who
refuses to sell individual loaves.

Because it's prescribed, ordered and supplied in cases of 8 loaves
which go off within about four days and need to be frozen. You can't
get one loaf on scrip. The pharmacist can't order 8 and keep 7.

This is one reason we have two freezers.