Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive question ...

So, what exactly is the difference between "impact adhesive" and "contact
adhesive" ? Or actually, is there any difference ? Both seem to sport
broadly the same quoted characteristics. It has been years since I did any
Formica work, but now need to do some on a large area. Back in the day, I
seem to remember using an Evostik product that came in a screw-top tin with
a brush built in, that was called contact adhesive. Until recently, I had a
tube of Evostik in the workshop that called itself impact adhesive. As far
as I can recall, it had the same smell and consistency as the 'contact'
product used all those years ago.

Looking in the Toolstation catalogue, both types are listed, and both seem
to have a pretty similar descriptions of characteristics, and uses. As I am
going to be working with large sheets of laminate, I guess ideally, I am
looking for something that is low enough viscosity to be able to be applied
quickly with a paint brush. Anybody got any thoughts / recommendations ?

TIA

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
So, what exactly is the difference between "impact adhesive" and
"contact adhesive"

None AFAIK
[...]

Possibly one is a water based pale imitation.

If you are truly doing large areas and quantities a hydraulic press and
a non contact glue is cheaper..

Polyurethane maybe.

Or a hot press and hot melt.

TIA

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2011 02:17, Arfa Daily wrote:
So, what exactly is the difference between "impact adhesive" and
"contact adhesive" ? Or actually, is there any difference ?

Originally, they worked exactly as the names suggest. Contact adhesive
would stick firmly the instant the two surfaces came into contact.
Impact adhesive stuck lightly, but needed you to go over the whole
surface with a block of wood and a large hammer, whacking away until the
two parts stuck fully. Contact adhesive was very unforgiving of
misalignment, while with contact adhesive you could reposition the
pieces until you started hitting; then along came repositionable contact
adhesive to blur the distinction. It is a very long time since I used
either and I have no idea whether they still work the way they used to.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes
On 10/05/2011 02:17, Arfa Daily wrote:
So, what exactly is the difference between "impact adhesive" and
"contact adhesive" ? Or actually, is there any difference ?

Originally, they worked exactly as the names suggest. Contact adhesive
would stick firmly the instant the two surfaces came into contact.
Impact adhesive stuck lightly, but needed you to go over the whole
surface with a block of wood and a large hammer, whacking away until
the two parts stuck fully. Contact adhesive was very unforgiving of
misalignment, while with contact adhesive you could reposition the
pieces until you started hitting; then along came repositionable
contact adhesive to blur the distinction. It is a very long time since
I used either and I have no idea whether they still work the way they used to.

It is an *under the counter* item at B+Q so it must have alternative
uses:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 10/05/2011 02:17, Arfa Daily wrote:
So, what exactly is the difference between "impact adhesive" and
"contact adhesive" ? Or actually, is there any difference ?

Originally, they worked exactly as the names suggest. Contact adhesive
would stick firmly the instant the two surfaces came into contact.
Impact adhesive stuck lightly, but needed you to go over the whole
surface with a block of wood and a large hammer, whacking away until the
two parts stuck fully. Contact adhesive was very unforgiving of
misalignment, while with contact adhesive you could reposition the
pieces until you started hitting; then along came repositionable contact
adhesive to blur the distinction. It is a very long time since I used
either and I have no idea whether they still work the way they used to.

Evostick changed its formulation in recent years - probably because of the
original solvent being banned or whatever - and IMHO isn't as good as it
was.

IIRC, the first contact adhesive to allow you some degree of
re-positioning was Thixofix.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Ah yes - Thixofix ! Because it was thixotropic ?? whatever exactly that
meant ...

'Unforgiving' shouldn't really be a problem with this job. It's for the
front vertical face of this counter I'm building for our new burger joint.
It is one large curved surface about 4 m long, and then a long straight,
both in MDF. There's an upper 'customer side' to the counter, which will
overhang the top edge of the MDF / laminate, so as long as the stuff is
pretty flat to the floor, it doesn't matter too much at the top, as it will
just be trimmed to match the top edge anyway. Biggest challenge, I guess,
will be where there are any joins.

Arfa
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Tue, 10 May 2011 02:17:05 +0100
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Ignoring any distinction between the two, the instantaneous nature of contact
adhesive can be a drawback, particularly so when working with large sheets of
laminate, as it only takes one slight slip and you end up with the laminate
permanently stuck in entirely the wrong position!

What you need is a thixothropic glue - it is like contact adhesive but gives
you a bit of latitude to adjust the final positioning, then you just apply
pressure and it sticks.

Could it be that 'impact' is a dumbing down term for people who can't read or
understand long words like 'thixothropic' ...?

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 10, 9:30*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

IIRC, the first contact adhesive to allow you some degree of
re-positioning was Thixofix.

Evo stik Timebond is the modern version. Very good stuff, although the
price is steep. It also looks & feels like lemon curd, not the usual
stringy contact adhesive that loves to dribble, I use it for
leatherwork, just to avoid this risk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Tue, 10
May 2011 10:36:09 +0100
Terry Casey wrote:

What you need is a thixothropic glue

That should have read "What you need is a thixothropic adhesive ..."

Not quite sure what the difference is between glue and adhesive but something
niggling away at the back of mind says that glue is adhesive but not all
adhesives are glues ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

IIRC, the first contact adhesive to allow you some degree of
re-positioning was Thixofix.

Evo stik Timebond is the modern version. Very good stuff, although the
price is steep. It also looks & feels like lemon curd, not the usual
stringy contact adhesive that loves to dribble, I use it for
leatherwork, just to avoid this risk.

Thanks Andy. Looks like that might be the favourite product. Do you have any
indication what the approximate coverage of the tins are, or maybe you just
use the small tube ??

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 10, 5:28*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Thanks Andy. Looks like that might be the favourite product. Do you have any
indication what the approximate coverage of the tins are,

500ml tin claims to cover 2.4 m^2 (single side) or 1.4 m^2 if coating
both. These cost £8 retail, £4 from Focus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On May 10, 5:28 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Thanks Andy. Looks like that might be the favourite product. Do you have
any
indication what the approximate coverage of the tins are,

500ml tin claims to cover 2.4 m^2 (single side) or 1.4 m^2 if coating
both. These cost £8 retail, £4 from Focus

OK, Andy. Thanks for that. When you think about it, that's a bit of an odd
way of them putting it, as both faces have to be coated with a contact
adhesive, don't they ? Or am I missing something here ... ?

The amount that I've gotta do, that's going to work out mighty expensive.
Maybe I should go for one of the 'no-name' 5 litre tins of standard contact
adhesive from Toolstation or wherever. About 20 quid, as I recall. Or maybe,
I don't coat the whole surface. I guess I could go around the edges of each
face, and then paint 'stripes' in opposite directions over the rest. That
way, I save 50% of adhesive, and still get a bond point at each 'crossing'.
:-)

Arfa