Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foundation adhesive question....

Folks,

I'm putting a french drain into the ground in front of my house in an
effort to direct rain/snow melt away from my basement....it will be no
more than 2 feet down....

The entire assembly (stone, pvc pipe, etc...)will sit in a piece of 6
Mil plastic sheeting that will force all water away from the house and
into the PVC....

the plastic will be attached to the foundation of the house, and then
filled with rocks.

I am looking for any suggestions as to what I can use as an adhesive
to glue the edge of the plastic to the outside of the foundation of
the house....it has to be a weatherproof/waterproof bond that will
continue to hold the plastic to the house for many decades, if
possible.

(just to clarify, the plastic will be attached to the house, and then
scoop under the entire french drain assembly - so from the bottom up,
it will be: Plastic, stone, PVC stone, landscape fabric, stone.)

Any suggestions for a good material would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
(Todd) says...

I am looking for any suggestions as to what I can use as an adhesive
to glue the edge of the plastic to the outside of the foundation of
the house....it has to be a weatherproof/waterproof bond that will
continue to hold the plastic to the house for many decades, if
possible.

Why don't you just run the plastic to the foundation and put soil or
rocks over it? I doubt that any adhesive will do what you want, and as
long as the plastic dives down into the trench at a good angle, water
won't run uphill.

If you absolutely have to attach the plastic, think about a mechanical
connection, perhaps a sheet metal reglet shot onto the foundation wall
with ram studs. I think that's too much. Once the plastic is covered
with dirt, it won't go anywhere.

(just to clarify, the plastic will be attached to the house, and then
scoop under the entire french drain assembly - so from the bottom up,
it will be: Plastic, stone, PVC stone, landscape fabric, stone.)

The PVC should be at the bottom. Plastic, PVC, stone, landscape fabric,
stone. Use 2" washed drain rock. Pea gravel will plug with silt. If
you have a couple feet of stone, skip the fabric, which will also plug
over time.

I'm taking your situation at face value - the water is sheeting down a
slope and penetrating the basement wall. However, 9 times out of 10, if
the basement is wet, the water is coming off of the roof. Downspouts
should run into a tight line (NOT perforated) and discharge well
downhill from the house or into a storm sewer.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 9:19 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article . com,
(Todd) says...

[...]

I'd combine the above advice (some sort of strip anchored to the
foundation) with a bead of something like sikkens or np1 between the
plastic and the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pretty much agree hear, as long as the plastic is against the foundation
when you backfill, it isn't going to go anywhere. The small amount of water
that might get behind it probably isn't going to matter. I don't think you
want the earth bone dry anyway, it might turn to dust and end up being a
problem - depending on the grade, when the earth on to gets wet it could
begin to slide away.

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 23, 9:19 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article . com,
(Todd) says...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 23 May 2007 17:57:10 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

I'd use the expensive grade asphalt roofing tar. It is cheap and
comes in pails and tubes and provides a little extra protection in
case something destroys your plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I did mine I used foundation tar, brushed/rolled it on the whole
wall, then while wet laid the plastic up against it, I would say that is a
permanently stuck plastic.

ups.com...