Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The wind turbines were turned off...

....to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
...to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

Do you really need to ask?

Or do you just not meet the great unwashed on a regular basis?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
...to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

IN what way? for sure turbines increase ground level wind.

You get a lot of wind shear, and the turbines 'stir' the layers..

But I'd expect it to be a safety if firefighters were around, or there
was a chance the turbines could catch fire (I wish)

But is it a true story?

I dont listen to radio 4 PC lefties any more..
MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 May 2011 01:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

....to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

Do you have to ask?

There might be an element in truth in that to stop damage to bearings
when sat still for long times they are motored round. There is f'all
wind ATM, 300MW from wind when I looked a few minuets ago. About 1%
of the total installed wind capacity...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2011 01:18:08 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

....to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

Do you have to ask?

There might be an element in truth in that to stop damage to bearings
when sat still for long times they are motored round. There is f'all
wind ATM, 300MW from wind when I looked a few minuets ago. About 1%
of the total installed wind capacity...

ITYM 10%...

In fact that's a fairly normal figure and reflects a medium breeze.

Wind farms seem to spend most of the time between 5 and 15% output, with
occasional excursions above 50% to 'make the figures look good' and
occasional excursions below 5% which don't overall make a lot of
difference to the averages, anyway.

To put it in simple terms, the 25% average is actually more or less
10-15% most of the time, with a few days of 50% and a few more days of
less than 5% interspersed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 09:18, Man at B&Q wrote:
...to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

MBQ

I didn't hear the report on R4, but if it's Ovenden Moor near Halifax,
there are currently moorland fires up there, and there's also a wind
farm on the moor too.

Allan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
...to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

IN what way? for sure turbines increase ground level wind.

You get a lot of wind shear, and the turbines 'stir' the layers..

But I'd expect it to be a safety if firefighters were around, or there
was a chance the turbines could catch fire (I wish)

A few pictures of them doing so he

http://www.richarddows.co.uk/2008/12...ine-accidents/

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
...to avoid fanning the flames

Heard during a report on R4 this morning about countryside fires.

WTF?

Are people really that stupid?

IN what way? for sure turbines increase ground level wind.

You get a lot of wind shear, and the turbines 'stir' the layers..

But I'd expect it to be a safety if firefighters were around, or there
was a chance the turbines could catch fire (I wish)

A few pictures of them doing so he

http://www.richarddows.co.uk/2008/12...ine-accidents/

Colin Bignell

yep. fires are very common. Generally if the mains frequency stops them
over speeding, if the wind is too strong they should feather to keep the
torque down. If the feather fails either the generator will overcurrent
or the gearbox will overheat and catch fire, or the bearings will fail
and the same thing happens. If they lose connection to the mains as the
windings burn out, then the thing will overspeed and shake itself to pieces.

It is rumoured as little as a .22 round in the right place can cause this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A few pictures of them doing so he

http://www.richarddows.co.uk/2008/12...ine-accidents/

Colin Bignell

I particularly liked the video of the one which either failed to feather or
had lost its brake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 May 2011 18:30:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

If they lose connection to the mains as the
windings burn out, then the thing will overspeed and shake itself to pieces.

Have you got documentary proof of that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If they lose connection to the mains as the
windings burn out, then the thing will overspeed and shake itself to pieces.

Have you got documentary proof of that?

I've seen the video yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2x7u...layer_embedded

So yes and overspeeding turbine will disintegrate.

That takes in general a cascade of failures..the feathering mechanism
has to fail, and then either the gearbox or anything else that keeps it
as a certain speed. Earlier fixed speed turbines are synched to the
mains I think. Modern ones use inverters. But anything that takes the
load off the turbine without it feathering will cause it to disintegrate
in a strong wind.

There is for that reason a safety exclusion region that is broadly as
wide as the turbine is high.

There is some evidence that lightning strikes can remove a blade as
well..that leads to disintegration as well if it also takes out the
feathering system.

Too high seas in a marine locale will result shutdown as well, as will
sufficient blade icing. Note that ice that does not seriously unbalance
the turbine will simply be thrown off. Up to 200 meters estimated, at
speeds of up to 150mph. .

But the most common cause of drastic failure is overheating gearboxes,
and especially bearings. Fluctuating strong magnetic fields together
with water - especially salt water - are the perfect way to induce
electrochemical corrosion in metal bearings. Secveral times a year...;-)

OT - Wind Turbines John UK diy 58 October 4th 10 12:49 PM
Wind turbines at B&Q - an update dg UK diy 24 November 17th 07 04:48 PM
B & Q wind turbines ? Richard UK diy 84 December 17th 06 11:40 PM
B&Q Wind turbines Zoinks UK diy 178 November 27th 06 02:12 PM
Wind turbines - can be DIY made? dg UK diy 465 October 18th 06 06:00 PM