Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LG Direct Drive Washing Machine Problem

Hello!

I have been given an LG Direct Drive washing machine, model number
WM-14225FD

Although the drum turns freely (It will turn for a good 6 seconds if i
turn it round hard with the door open) when the motor tries to turn it,
it doesn't turn, instead it makes a kind of squealing noise.

If I take the back off and get it spinning just before it tries to turn
the drum, it will continue to rotate, but it makes a right racket.

Here is a 2MB video demonstrating it turning clockwise (as you look at
it from the back) when helped at first, then it trying to turn it the
other way, but just squealing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4225195/IMG_0777.MOV

There are two cables that connect to the motor assembly, one is the
actual motor (three wires) and the other is connected to a sensor, that
when disconnected, makes the machine behave in the same way, thus I
suspect this is the problem - but what does it make such a lot of noise?

Any input is appreciated :-)

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 5:52*pm, Toby wrote:
[...]

There may be a brake on the tub. This could cause squelaing if it's
binding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2011 19:16, harry wrote:

There may be a brake on the tub. This could cause squelaing if it's
binding.

I am sure it isn't a brake, as the squeal is happening without the drum
turning.

It seems to move a little, maybe a cm or 2 round, then stop abruptly and
then sit there squealing.

The motor consists of this array of coils that seem to be in three circuits
http://www.espares.co.uk/datastore/p...ges/588118.jpg

Then on top of that there is a metal part, that looks like a shallow
dish with magnets glued to the inside edge, this is the part that turns.
Looking at this picture
http://www.lg.com/uk/img/rich-featur...nal-wobble.jpg
You can see the motor at the bottom left corner, the dish part is the
thing with the slits in it.

I am assuming the sensor detects how far the "dish" part has turned, so
the magnetic field can be controlled in the coils, as this has failed,
it doesn't know what to do with the coils and it is just stuck.

But before I try and source a new sensor (Amazon wanted about £40 for
it!) I though I would check to see if this sounds plausible.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 22/04/2011 17:52, Toby wrote:

I have been given an LG Direct Drive washing machine, model number
WM-14225FD

Although the drum turns freely (It will turn for a good 6 seconds if i
turn it round hard with the door open) when the motor tries to turn it,
it doesn't turn, instead it makes a kind of squealing noise.

We have
Is the machine displaying an error code?
ISTR reading somewhere about issues with sensor/motor wiring..

There is a basic service manual for a simlilar model he
http://fileshare.eshop.bg/downloadsm...WD-1243FB.html

Might be useful for basic description and error codes - they seem to be
fairly similar across several models.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

D'oh!
Linked to wrong file, that one has a normal motor.

I've got a service manual pdf for one of the direct drive ones (WM3434H)
which has basic motor testing listed.

It's 4.82Mb if you want me to Email it.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2011 19:30, Lee wrote:
D'oh!
Linked to wrong file, that one has a normal motor.

I've got a service manual pdf for one of the direct drive ones (WM3434H)
which has basic motor testing listed.

It's 4.82Mb if you want me to Email it.

Lee

Thanks for the offer - I spoke to LG, who offered to sell me the hall
sensor for £15 plus postage, I ordered it yesterday, and it turned up
this morning in the post - fitted, and jobs a goodun :-)

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply