Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Problem

I hope someone out there can help...heres the problem;

The washer will fill, agitate in all cycles (permanent press, regular,
etc). In all cycles it will NOT pump the water out.
If I empty the tub manually and advance the timer to the spin step it
will spin and complete the cycle. Water does empty via the spin. I
pulled the two hoses from the pump, nothing appears to be lodged in and
water will flow through there when spinning...

I am leaning towards timer or gearbox, although I don't hear any noises
out of the ordinary (grinding etc).

HELP!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should have mentioned that it is a top loading washer and it seems to
do everything in order as it should, except
when it comes time to empty the water everything stops and the timer
does NOT advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem today. It was the lid switch. Plastic switch cracked
at screws and would not make it work. We don't have children so I just cut
the wires and used a wire nut and tape. Go here for a lot of help:
http://www.applianceaid.com/repair-help.html
All kinds of advice and help.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I should have mentioned that it is a top loading washer and it seems to
do everything in order as it should, except
when it comes time to empty the water everything stops and the timer
does NOT advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Op, please restate your problem. What I think you are saying is that
at the end of both agitation segments, the timer won't advance to spin.
But, if you advance it yourself into spin, it will spin but it won't
drain. None of this makes sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the timer doesn't advance to spin, but washer will spin and drain
when you advance it yourself, then it is a timer problem, not a lid
switch problem. If it was a lid switch problem, it wouldn't advance to
spin, nor would it spin if you advance it yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should add though, that op's comment that he removes water before
putting the machine into spin adds trickery to the equation. Actually,
it is more like a segway. Removing water in order to make a washer
drain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would imagine that if you
let the washer do the draining, you wouldn't have to drain it by hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am leaning towards timer or gearbox, although I don't hear any noises
out of the ordinary (grinding etc).

I take it your have removed the cover. Sometimes the pump get clogged
with "stuff" like some loose threads from clothing. Locate the pump,
disconnect the hose(s) and look for a clog.

In most machines you can drain the water almost completely by lowering the
drain hose to below the bottom on the tub. Even if the pump is clogged
the water will still drain.

There is a possibility that the clogged pump (which was jammed by the clog)
may have damaged something. If you pump has it's own small AC motor the
motor might have damaged itself from heat. If it is belt driven, the belt
may be worn. If it is indeed "direct drive" from the main motor, you might
have stripped the impellor from the drive shaft.

It's unlikely to be the timer or the wiring or that kind of stuff. A clog
is most likely.

HELP!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the help. After taking the thing completely apart ()
) it was the lid switch after all.
The pin in the lid just wasn't doing it's job. Rather then spend 20
bucks on a 12 year old washer, I
fabbed a new lid pin with a pen cap!

All works well and family smells a bit better too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks all for the help. After taking the thing completely apart ()
) it was the lid switch after all.
The pin in the lid just wasn't doing it's job. Rather then spend 20
bucks on a 12 year old washer, I
fabbed a new lid pin with a pen cap!

Interesting. I guess the pump is associated with the spin cycle so it will
not start the cycle until the lid is down.