Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Perles Router query

Hi All

I have a Perles OF808E 1/4" router

It is the same as the Trend T5

I have not had need to use it for some time and my memory is not as good as
it was

I had a problem with the speed dropping repeatedly whilst working

Stripped it down and cleaned all of the dust out and it worked fine, however
when tested with a heavier cut than I would normally use the speed variation
returned for a while

I cannot remember if it did this when new (in 1998)

I am guessing that either there is some sort of thermal sensor which cuts
the speed when it gets too warm, or that the electronics pack is on the way
out

A new electronics pack is still available but is £40 + vat and delivery

Any one advise?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/04/2011 10:59, TMC wrote:
Hi All

I have a Perles OF808E 1/4" router

It is the same as the Trend T5

I have not had need to use it for some time and my memory is not as good
as it was

I had a problem with the speed dropping repeatedly whilst working

Stripped it down and cleaned all of the dust out and it worked fine,
however when tested with a heavier cut than I would normally use the
speed variation returned for a while

I cannot remember if it did this when new (in 1998)

I am guessing that either there is some sort of thermal sensor which
cuts the speed when it gets too warm, or that the electronics pack is on
the way out

A new electronics pack is still available but is £40 + vat and delivery

Any one advise?

I have a T5, so may be able to offer some comparison. Depends on what you
mean by speed dropping. Its a universal motor, and there is no feedback
speed control on the T5 - so under load the motor will slow a little.
However it should not be significant, and the slowing will only be
proportional to load, the same as with most power tools. If you mean yours
seems to "step" to a lower speed, then I would suspect a fault with the
speed controller.

--
Cheers,

John.

Hi

John yes it steps to a lower speed but currently only when I apply excessive
load and then only until it has cooled for a few seconds

Before cleaning the router out the speed changes occurred when under no load
which led me to suspect the speed controller

Immediately after cleaning there was no slowing when running with no load

I did a plunge test with a 3/4 bit in softwood with problem

I also did a 6mm deep pass with the same bit (normally I would do 3mm deep
passes with this diameter of bit) at fairly high feed with no problem

It was only when I exceeded this that the machine slowed and stayed slower
for a few seconds after returning to no load running

It then returned to full speed

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/04/2011 14:08, TMC wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 20/04/2011 10:59, TMC wrote:
[...]

Its not a behaviour I have observed with mine, so it does sound like a
controller funny. However if its working, I would be tempted to see if a
bit of use fixes the problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

thanks for this I was thinking along the same lines and as a new router of
same type is over 200ukp a new controller is not the end of the world

Regards

Making a router plate to mate Triton router to Wolfcraft Router table PinInCalgary Woodworking 5 December 22nd 09 08:29 PM
Paging Michael Terrell, video router design query msg Electronics Repair 5 December 8th 08 08:42 AM
Query about router specs Mike P UK diy 9 October 14th 07 03:29 PM
Query Triton MOF001KC Router Joe Bleau Woodworking 5 January 10th 07 01:28 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM