Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Anyone want to guess what I said?

On Apr 19, 8:44 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Subbed out to another firm, and given a 2nd year waste of space apprentice
to work with (I can say I have worked for this firm before and one of the
reasons they use me is to gain enough evidence to sack waste of space
apprentices [1])

He got into my van and put his feet up on my dashboard. I said "take your
feet down put your seatbelt on please" and he replied "It's me that gets the
ticket so I what's your problem"

Anyone fancy a guess as to my reply:-)?

nah just tell me, I could do with a grin...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2011 22:32, tony sayer wrote:
She also punished him for being disruptive on a coach trip to the
pantomime, when he was shouting at the child next to him. It turned out
that the child had been repeatedly calling him names - she'd sat him
next to the ringleader of a small group of children that had been
bullying him for a couple of months and that we'd informed her about on
at least three occassions. She'd already sent the group to the head for
punishment, so why on earth she chose to seat him next to this bully I
don't know.

He's also been punished for not handing in his "homework" book, again
losing his playtimes and this time it turned out that the teacher hadn't
given it back to him, 'cos he was off ill on the day she returned them!

The list goes on, but thank God, as he's moved through the years, the
rest of the teachers were not as blind and predjudiced by their own,
earlier, false accusations.

SteveW

And it'll all happen again in similar ways out in the wild world of
work;!....

Yes, but by then, you're old enough to make a sensible decision whether
to stay, complain, start looking elsewhere or walk. I've done it myself
when falsely accused at work by a manager trying to cover his mistakes -
I went to see the MD, presented proof that the allegations were false
and resigned with immediate effect, as I'd never be able to trust the
manager who'd made the allegation in the first place again.
Unfortunately, a child is shocked to be falsely accused, unable to deal
with it and has no choice but to go back to the same teacher's class
each day.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

Are you two still together then? I thought you had a row and split up. If
you are still together, then the trip to the mine is back on again.

Isn't it going to be easy to find the body in a mine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 10:52*pm, Steve Walker
wrote:
On 20/04/2011 17:34, Tabby wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:41 am, "Dave
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:52:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The state may have 'provided' but only to a very basic level. It's a
complete fallacy that a youngster could lead the good life without
working. Exist, maybe.

Define "good life". ****ing it up against the wall every night or
slobbed out in front of the telly still at home with the parents is a
"good life" for many.

Then they get a *kid or three and will have housing provided by the
state (Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit) as well as enough
cash for food via Income Support, Child Tax Credits etc.

The poverty trap is still very real and a great temptation. I know,
when I bust my ankle the other year the Incapacity Benefit and my PHI
payouts totaled almost as much as my normal earnings and I could sit
home and do nothing. The temptation to stay sat home was certainly
there. I've also experienced the work hard, earn more money but end
up with sod all extra in the bank overall as Tax Credits etc drop. I
suspect that may well happen again this last tax year.

The main thing that bothers me about beenfits is they're a good deal
higher than they need be. If claimaints got paid what they really need
to survive, plus a very small amount more, and gave them a book
showing how to eat on that much, there would be far less temptation to
be lazy about.

They're both too high and too low at the same time!

For some people they are a reasonable living, allowing them a house and
nice extras that many of the working population cannot afford.

For others, those that have spent years working, done well for
themselves and have a house, car, etc., the benefits system says that
they need no more than the basic amount, despite them already having
committments comeasurate with their previous income.

In my case I had a long term illness (2-1/2 years) and should have
stopped work for a while to speed my recovery, instead I struggled on,
working short hours and getting half pay - this meant that I could not
claim on my PPI, so my debts increased markedly. Within a month of my
getting back to good enough health to work full hours, I found myself
out of work (with no redundancy, as I was on a renewable fixed term
contract) just as my wife became ill. For some time, she was too ill to
look after our children (unable to get up and down stairs, carry our
baby, etc.), so I could not go out to work. We were judged not to be
elegible for help, as her sick-pay was above the threshold - despite our
income having fallen by 85% and her take home pay being markedly less
than our fixed monthly outgoings. We couldn't even get help with
childcare as we weren't both out at work, despite the fact that if we'd
cancelled it, there was a minimum 6 month waiting list for another
place, which would have prevented me going back to work when I found it
and she was well enough.

SteveW

I'm sorry about your story, truly. But... does that really mean the
rest of us should buy you a house? I'm firmly in favour of people
making provisions for themselves, and when I took on a mortgage I had
no illusions about the risk involved, and no expectation that anyone
else would or should pick up the tab if I lost my income.

As well as cutting benefits, and giving people information on how to
live on what they get (so many really aren't able to), I'd also ensure
claimants got paid in 24 hrs rather than 6 weeks. As it stands now,
many first time claimants that are only just grown up find themselves
with no income for over a month, and know no way to solve it but
crime.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
jgharston wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
In my case I had a long term illness (2-1/2 years) and should have
stopped work for a while to speed my recovery, instead I struggled
on,

My offense was spending the last 20 years paying into a pension
instead of frittering my money away, and then losing my job four
years before my mortgage was paid off. My pension is seen as
capital that makes me ineligible for benefits, even though the
only way to actually use it as an income at this stage is to
liquidate it and fritter the money away in a few years, leaving
me dependant on the state once I actually need a pension, the
exact opposite of what the state has been brainwashing me into
over the last three decades.

I've not got much experience of claiming unemployment benefit,

A few years ago there was a young labourer on a building site. Now a very
bright lad but willing. At dinner time he produced a massive packed lunch
and took some ribbing about his Mum having prepared it for him etc. Then we
found out that he lived rent free at his Mums and everyone was disgusted
until he pointed out that he was only allowed to live there rent free if he
had a job. If he was on the dole his Mum's rent was that same amount as his
dole money. He only ever claimed the dole for one week.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Subbed out to another firm, and given a 2nd year waste of space
apprentice to work with (I can say I have worked for this firm
before and one of the reasons they use me is to gain enough evidence
to sack waste of space apprentices [1])

He got into my van and put his feet up on my dashboard. I said "take
your feet down put your seatbelt on please" and he replied "It's me
that gets the ticket so I what's your problem"

Anyone fancy a guess as to my reply:-)?

Option 1:
"Are you looking for a slap?"
Option 2:
"Get out of the van"

You'll probably all be correct though.....

Any prizes?

Anyway, he is going to tell his Dad about me.

Ah, maybe option 3:
"Get out of the van whilst moving"

I was tempted to just go down the road and slam the brakes on.

[1] The last lot were firing nail guns at each other, knocking each
other off step ladders, poured a 100 litre dustbin full of water
from the 5th floor onto someone climbing up some scaffolding and all
went home at 1pm with 4pm written down on their timesheets. I
managed to get rid of 3 of them for gross misconduct.

Do you invoice them per waster dispatched? Keep up the good work.

I ought to do. And would you expect a second year apprentice to be able to
wire up 2 way lighting? This one cannot, that why he is going, but they
have rights and cannot just be fired even if they cannot do their job.

No, but why should the guy suffer because the company can't be bothered to
put in place a proper assessment near the end of year one, when he could be
sacked for not being up to the job.

tim