Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grrrrr builders, I knew I should have done it properly myself....

My builder has built upto oversight and DPC, done the drains and stuff,
and started the interior blockwork today. I got the tapemeasure out when
I got home from work (as I like to keep tabs!). I think there may be a
problem....

A dimension seems to be out by about 300mm to the drawing on my
single-story porch/shower-room. As a result, from my measurements, a
1200mm showever tray will no longer fit the width of the room (measures
1150mm between the interior blockwork)....

I'm going to talk to the builder tomorrow morning, but i want to be armed
with as much info as possible.

How closely should I expect my builder to follow dimensions? (there is no
tolerance, like engineering drawings), also should the building inspector
be checking these things? Why should I have to double check their work?

Am I right to question this? What approach do people think I should
take? I'm guessing it's going to be a major arseache to extend footings
to get the original specified dimensions (can it even be done?)

Any advise appreciated!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:15:51 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

I don't know... But I do know how to use a tape measure, which it seems
is more than my builder can...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

Bet you would spot an extension that is 300mm larger than the plans?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 7:51 pm, MarkG wrote:
My builder has built upto oversight and DPC, done the drains and stuff,
and started the interior blockwork today. I got the tapemeasure out when
I got home from work (as I like to keep tabs!). I think there may be a
problem....

A dimension seems to be out by about 300mm to the drawing on my
single-story porch/shower-room. As a result, from my measurements, a
1200mm showever tray will no longer fit the width of the room (measures
1150mm between the interior blockwork)....

I'm going to talk to the builder tomorrow morning, but i want to be armed
with as much info as possible.

How closely should I expect my builder to follow dimensions? (there is no
tolerance, like engineering drawings),

I would hope they would be easily within +-5% on a critically small
space better...

also should the building inspector
be checking these things? Why should I have to double check their work?

not their job - just standards/construction details not sizes/finishes/
aesthetics

Am I right to question this?

YES

What approach do people think I should
take?

"Mornin, had a shufty last night seems generally OK but someat I can't
get me head around, on the plans it says X when I measure here it's
not X - have I got it wrong or is it wrong?"

I'm guessing it's going to be a major arseache to extend footings
to get the original specified dimensions (can it even be done?)

If fixed price then it's his major arseache for being an arse, if you
paying daily then he should put it right FOC all to satisfacion of the
BC (if they know yet, perhaps you should want them to? )

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.vt67zef3xafqef@vaio-laptop, MarkG
scribeth thus
[...]

Umm.. We do drawings sometimes for projects, nothing major but on the
bottom of them very prominently there is scribed;

IF IN DOUBT ASK! PLEASE PHONE 01234 etc..

And do they ever?, Nope!, they do it as they think it should be done or
as they have always dun it!..

"Didn't want to bother you Guv" is the usual reason given. Well perhaps
you should have done, "take that apart and do it as the drawing sez then
please, otherwise no payment";!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:08:58 +0100, Jim K wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:51 pm, MarkG wrote:
[...]

Talked to the architect that drew the plans, he confirmed, the internal
dimension should be 1430mm, even after plastering, which is more than
enough got a 1400mm shower tray, as it stands, I can't even get a 1200mm
one in there... He also confirmed that whilst there are no tolerances on
the drawing, general building tolerances are 10mm, so 300mm is rather
outside the norm...

I could do it as a wet room with no tray, at extra cost, but that's not
the point, and it costs me more.
Lesson of the day, there is alot to be said for d.i.y, the biggest thing
is you don't cut corners and hope nobody notices if it's your own job...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:45:47 +0100, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

There was a case some years ago about a builder who built a swimming pool
that wasn't as deep as the plans specified. The owner only got damages for
"loss of amenity" for the not-deep-enough pool. He couldn't get the
builder to do it again, properly.
So it seems that you should get this sorted out ASAP before the cost of
remedying the mistake gets out of control.

Here's a link to the reference:
http://www.swarb.co.uk/lisc/Cnstr19951995.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkG wrote:

Talked to the architect that drew the plans, he confirmed, the internal
dimension should be 1430mm, even after plastering, which is more than
enough got a 1400mm shower tray, as it stands, I can't even get a 1200mm
one in there... He also confirmed that whilst there are no tolerances on
the drawing, general building tolerances are 10mm, so 300mm is rather
outside the norm...

Then it is wrong. Take no **** - call him back, tell him to redo it as per
plans other wise he doesn't get paid.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

Bet you would spot an extension that is 300mm larger than the plans?

That's Planning's job ;-

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.vt7f7lkixafqef@vaio-laptop, MarkG
scribeth thus

On Apr 19, 7:51 pm, MarkG wrote:
[...]

If the drawing sez "x" and its smaller then the builder is at fault.

Either correct it or get someone else to do it and its deducted from
their invoice!. I suspect what's happened is that no one from the
builders has checked what they've done against the drawing .. nothing
new sadly;(....

I could do it as a wet room with no tray, at extra cost, but that's not
the point, and it costs me more.
Lesson of the day, there is alot to be said for d.i.y, the biggest thing
is you don't cut corners and hope nobody notices if it's your own job...

No!, you do not sort this, your paying someone else to do it .

They cocked it up, they put it right!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 7:51*pm, MarkG wrote:
My builder has built upto oversight and DPC, done the drains and stuff, *
and started the interior blockwork today. *I got the tapemeasure out when *
I got home from work (as I like to keep tabs!). *I think there may be a *
problem....

A dimension seems to be out by about 300mm *to the drawing on my *
single-story porch/shower-room. * As a result, from my measurements, a *
1200mm showever tray will no longer fit the width of the room (measures *
1150mm between the interior blockwork)....

I'm going to talk to the builder tomorrow morning, but i want to be armed *
with as much info as possible.

300mm ? Not the width of a cavity wall by any chance ?
Reading inside measurements for outside ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 7:51*pm, MarkG wrote:
[...]

Seems to be a multiplicity of problems here. And not least, problems
with oversight. No wonder the oversite (amongst other things) is
wrong.

Who's supposed to be overseeing the project?
Has the builder been paid anything?
On what basis is he working?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:54:35 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"ARWadsworth" , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

Bet you would spot an extension that is 300mm larger than the plans?

I may do. But if the joists are the right size, the openings facing
the boundary do not exceed the maximum permitted for that distance, or
any of the other myriad issues that could be thrown up by such a
change, or more importantly it doesn't bump the application into a
higher fee bracket, then I'm not bothered. A word may be dropped in
the ear of Planning Enforcement if I think it warrants it, but that's
it as far as I'm concerned.

I've only been doing this job for twenty-odd years so I've yet to come
across an extension built in accordance with the plans.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 6:08 pm, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

I've only been doing this job for twenty-odd years so I've yet to come
across an extension built in accordance with the plans.

;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Apr 20, 6:08 pm, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

I've only been doing this job for twenty-odd years so I've yet to
come across an extension built in accordance with the plans.

;)

I thought so as well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keyboard and wrote:

[...]

I'd add conservatories in to your list as well. Readers with a long
memory (well, 2 months) will recall me asking about re-roofing. I
did the work, but found that the whole thing wasn't square (not that
I really expected it to be), but no two spans were the same width
and almost none of them were the same width at the top as at the
bottom. (And we're not just talking about a couple of mm difference.

If I'd simply measured one of the existing polycarbonate panels
and then ordered the whole lot cut to that size, I'd have been in
trouble. Luckily the standard sheet size was sufficiently larger that
I could customise each panel for the width/shape it had to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

keyboard and wrote:

[...]

To follow this up, the builder slightly begrudgingly sorted it out, to two
days of additional labour and some material costs. He did new
supplimental footings in the RIGHT place, and extended the width of
everythout out by the missing 1/3rd of a metre. I now have enough room
for a proper sized shower tray... Panic over.

I will be keeping VERY close tabs on things from now on thou.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd add conservatories in to your list as well. Readers with a long
memory (well, 2 months) will recall me asking about re-roofing. I
did the work, but found that the whole thing wasn't square (not that
I really expected it to be), but no two spans were the same width
and almost none of them were the same width at the top as at the
bottom. (And we're not just talking about a couple of mm difference.

If I'd simply measured one of the existing polycarbonate panels
and then ordered the whole lot cut to that size, I'd have been in
trouble. Luckily the standard sheet size was sufficiently larger that
I could customise each panel for the width/shape it had to be.

To follow this up, the builder slightly begrudgingly sorted it out,

Begrudgingly!?, didn't the Wally apologise at all?. Thank you for
alerting him to his mistake?.

Ask him what would -he- have done if -he- were you and was paying
someone else to do the work;?..

to two
days of additional labour and some material costs. He did new
supplimental footings in the RIGHT place, and extended the width of
everythout out by the missing 1/3rd of a metre. I now have enough room
for a proper sized shower tray... Panic over.

I wonder what would have been his response if say you hadn't noticed
this and the build had gone further to the time the tray was to have
been fitted?. And then either you had to use a smaller tray or he had to
do a lot more remedial work?. I wonder what his response might have been
then;!?...

I will be keeping VERY close tabs on things from now on thou.....

Course you might have thought he was professional enough to keep tabs on
this sort of thing himself!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

Bet you would spot an extension that is 300mm larger than the plans?

That's Planning's job ;-

Not if this means that the distance between the wall and the properties
boundary is now less than one metre.
--
AD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Thu, 5 May 2011 13:02:59 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Andrew , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[Default] On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:51:04 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
MarkG , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

also should the building inspector
be checking these things?

What part of the Building Regulations has been breached?

Bet you would spot an extension that is 300mm larger than the plans?

That's Planning's job ;-

Not if this means that the distance between the wall and the properties
boundary is now less than one metre.

I may well spot that, but provided that the openings in the wall
facing the boundary were less than 1m^2, it wouldn't be a
contravention of the Building Regulations. Even if it were, I would
contact the owner and suggest that they need to reduce the openings.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 6:26*am, Tim Watts wrote:
MarkG wrote:
Talked to the architect that drew the plans, he confirmed, the internal
dimension should be 1430mm, even after plastering, which is more than
enough got a 1400mm shower tray, as it stands, I can't even get a 1200mm
one in there... * He also confirmed that whilst there are no tolerances on
the drawing, general building tolerances are 10mm, so 300mm is rather
outside the norm...

Then it is wrong. Take no **** - call him back, tell him to redo it as per
plans other wise he doesn't get paid.

i wouldn't jump to threatening him straight away. There might be an
error or ambiguity on the plans somewhere. the fault might not be
100% his and you don't want to get his back up.

presumably you are project managing this yourself? If the architect
is project managing it then you should pass the problem on to him.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:37*am, tony sayer wrote:

To follow this up, the builder slightly begrudgingly sorted it out,

Begrudgingly!?, didn't the Wally apologise at all?. Thank you for
alerting him to his mistake?.

My experience with this kind of error is that they do put it right (it
you notice it's wrong) but they behave as if they are doing you a
favour.

so many chaps and ladies around town surely hoisted a glass to theirdear, respected friend. Some of us, who knew him, and he knew so many, did. [email protected] UK diy 0 April 25th 08 09:38 PM
Cable colours grrrrr Ben Blaukopf UK diy 31 February 9th 07 07:39 PM
Screwfix...Grrrrr.!!!! Stuart UK diy 19 March 10th 06 01:46 PM
Grrrrr Steve B Metalworking 10 March 5th 06 09:41 PM
Grrrrr B&Q Grrrrrr Dave UK diy 107 October 21st 05 02:42 PM