Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default drain cover repair

How to patch and then repair this broken drain cover?

http://www.dicegeorge.com./psb/psimg...0418-0407s.jpg

It had a 24inchx16inch metal drain cover
over a 2footx4foot hole
balanced on bits of stone.

Eventually I'd like to be able to park a car on it,
for now I don't want kids falling in it!

How are drain covers done nowadays?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.dicegeorge.com./psb/psimg...oken20110418-0...

It had a 24inchx16inch metal drain cover
over a 2footx4foot hole
balanced on bits of stone.

Eventually I'd like to be able to park a car on it,
for now I don't want kids falling in it!

How are drain covers done nowadays?

[g]

You go and buy one at a builders merchant..

BTW. You don't want to let any of that rubble get down there or you
will be f*****d.

You will probably have to rig up shuttering to form a concrete top for
the chamber with a hole for your new manhole cover.

Put some plywood or similar over it for now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:27:16 +0100
george [dicegeorge] wrote:

How to patch and then repair this broken drain cover?

http://www.dicegeorge.com./psb/psimg...0418-0407s.jpg

It had a 24inchx16inch metal drain cover
over a 2footx4foot hole
balanced on bits of stone.

Eventually I'd like to be able to park a car on it,
for now I don't want kids falling in it!

How are drain covers done nowadays?

That looks like a standard BT/CATV footway chamber which should have two 600mm
square covers - look around, you'll probably find plenty like it.

Get the right covers for it. The 24" x 16" cover was an obvious bodge and
leaves plenty of opportunity for you car to drop into it - followed, of course,
by the kids ...!

Alternatively, get another two 24" x 16" covers. That would be a stronger
solution and more car proof - remember I said it looks like a FOOTWAY chamber?

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

It's a drainage manhole, there's sewage running through it.

Obviously

The BT/CATV covers are only available to them and aren't easily got hold of,
plus they're not for driving over, which is why they're in the pavements and
not the roads.

I think Terry was trying to point out the danger of it being
understrength, if somehow, someone had used a BT cover where they
shouldn't have ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Tue, 19 Apr
2011 18:05:59 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Phil L wrote:

It's a drainage manhole, there's sewage running through it.

Obviously

The BT/CATV covers are only available to them and aren't easily got hold of,
plus they're not for driving over, which is why they're in the pavements and
not the roads.

I think Terry was trying to point out the danger of it being
understrength, if somehow, someone had used a BT cover where they
shouldn't have ...

Thank you Andy. And I did say "get another two 24" x 16" covers" i.e: the same
as the existing one which, I assume, IS strong enough ...

The BT/CATV lids should be available somewhere as they are a pretty standard
item - the BT/CATV or whatever marking is an option - blank ones are available.

As for not being for driving over, the way people park on the pavements round
her, I'm sure they DO get driven over on a regular basis.

If it is only for a car, they might well be ok. The lid is actually a steel
tray with concrete infill. There is also a central support available to fit
under the join between the two.

Come to think of it, I've had to abort jobs in the past because someone's
parked right on top of one! Fortunately it was never that vital that the job
couldn't wait ...

--

Terry

Drain/Manhole Cover Tom UK diy 3 November 30th 08 10:57 PM
lifting drain cover blackbat UK diy 23 March 8th 08 11:45 AM
Indoor Drain Cover LongYP UK diy 4 October 21st 05 05:21 PM
Drain cover / tidy new.ntlworld.com UK diy 4 October 11th 05 07:09 AM
Cover French Drain Oddity Home Repair 0 June 22nd 05 08:01 PM