Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Vs Toolstation

It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Not only is there post free threshold 5 time that of Toolstation but
today I needed a few more galvanised wire nails to complete a job
(wouldn't be nice if they said roughly how many nails per kg!!)

Screwfix are about a couple of miles nearer so I thought for the sake of
a few pennies more on price compared to the cost of the diesel, I would
go to Screwfix rather than TS

Screwfix price £3.56 per kg Toolstation price £2.54kg

SF are really starting to take the **** and their counter service is so
slow.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:42:35 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Not only is there post free threshold 5 time that of Toolstation but
today I needed a few more galvanised wire nails to complete a job
(wouldn't be nice if they said roughly how many nails per kg!!)

Screwfix are about a couple of miles nearer so I thought for the sake of
a few pennies more on price compared to the cost of the diesel, I would
go to Screwfix rather than TS

Screwfix price £3.56 per kg Toolstation price £2.54kg

SF are really starting to take the **** and their counter service is so
slow.

Bob

I agree, rarely use Screwfix these days. They seem to be getting more and
more expensive and I find that, apart from price, the Toolstation service
is much better. The staff seem happier!

--
Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Eldridge wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

SF are really starting to take the **** and their counter service is so
slow.

I've been to both a few times recently; At weekends T/S is deserted so
service is quick. In the week longer waiting to be served at T/S, but
picking is quick and by the same person, while S/F is quick at entering
order but it's then picked rather more leisurely by separate people
"round the back" a-la Argos

the Toolstation service is much better. The staff seem happier!

Agreed, S/F staff seem pre-occupied with discussing their upcoming
tattoos and piercings, and taking each other's names and phone numbers,
which perhaps says something about how quick their staff turnover is ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Steve Eldridge wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

SF are really starting to take the **** and their counter service is so
slow.

I've been to both a few times recently; At weekends T/S is deserted so
service is quick. In the week longer waiting to be served at T/S, but
picking is quick and by the same person, while S/F is quick at entering
order but it's then picked rather more leisurely by separate people
"round the back" a-la Argos

the Toolstation service is much better. The staff seem happier!

Agreed, S/F staff seem pre-occupied with discussing their upcoming
tattoos and piercings, and taking each other's names and phone numbers,
which perhaps says something about how quick their staff turnover is ...

Another vote for T/S here. Only use the other firm if I have to !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 11:42*am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Not only is there post free threshold 5 time that of Toolstation but
today I needed a few more galvanised wire nails to complete a job
(wouldn't be nice if they said roughly how many nails per kg!!)

Screwfix are about a couple of miles nearer so I thought for the sake of
a few pennies more on price compared to the cost of the diesel, I would
go to Screwfix rather than TS

Screwfix price £3.56 per kg * Toolstation price *£2.54kg

SF are really starting to take the **** and their counter service is so
slow.

I use both, but steer clear of unbranded stuff from TS because its a
bit too silverline for my liking. Screwfix tends to be better
quality, Toolstation unbranded stuff always seem to be very built down
to a price. Which is ok for nails probably. I guess it might be
interesting (well, ok, not really) to compare the thickness of
galvanising etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 1:31*pm, Bolted wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:42*am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
[...]

Likewise, I've TS quality a bit iffy.

Mind you, so is the unbranded Screwfix stuff - especially hand tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 4:05*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 13, 1:31*pm, Bolted wrote:

On Apr 13, 11:42*am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
[...]

Mind you, so is the unbranded Screwfix stuff - especially hand tools.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, both are pretty junky for own brand tools
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 13/04/2011 11:42, Bob Minchin wrote:

It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Probably not too surprising when you remember that SF is now owned by
the folks who gave us B&Q, and TS is owned by the ones who gave us SF.

I think that you will find that Travis Perkins have a major interest in
Toolstation. TP are also linked to Wickes AFAIK.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2011 17:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 13/04/2011 11:42, Bob Minchin wrote:

It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Probably not too surprising when you remember that SF is now owned by
the folks who gave us B&Q, and TS is owned by the ones who gave us SF.

I think that you will find that Travis Perkins have a major interest in
Toolstation. TP are also linked to Wickes AFAIK.

AIUI The bloke who started SF had a restrictive clause in the contract
when he sold SF to Kingfisher (who also own B&Q). When the time expired
he started TS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 13/04/2011 11:42, Bob Minchin wrote:

It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Probably not too surprising when you remember that SF is now owned by
the folks who gave us B&Q, and TS is owned by the ones who gave us SF.

I think that you will find that Travis Perkins have a major interest in
Toolstation. TP are also linked to Wickes AFAIK.

AIUI The bloke who started SF had a restrictive clause in the contract
when he sold SF to Kingfisher (who also own B&Q). When the time expired
he started TS.

Yes and in order to start opening up lots of trade counters, he went in
with a deal with TP.

April 2008 TP acquired 30% of TS and an option to buy the remaining 70%
in 4 years - April 2012.

Presumably after a few more years we will see Mark Goddard-Watts opening
up a new business. Could be Screw-Station or perhaps ToolFix will sound
better.
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Oh for gods sake.

Why do people start great businesses, just to sell them and let them get
****ed up?

At least he has the decency to start another business to replaced the ****ed
up one...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Simples.

You can either work your socks off taking continual risk that the
business falls flat despite your efforts or you can sell to someone who
has the money, Bank a chunk of it and start up a new one. Once you have
had enough, open up the bank account and retire.

This time Mark GW has done a deal where TP provide the capital to grow
the business from mail order to trade counters, potentially beating SF
(if they carry on like they are at the moment) so that when he sell the
remaining 70% next year, he will make even more.
Just imagine having had to try and borrow capital from a bank 3 years ago??

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 13/04/2011 19:47, Tim Watts wrote:

Oh for gods sake.

Why do people start great businesses, just to sell them and let them get
****ed up?

Its called having an exit strategy. It means you carry less risk, and it
easier to get investors to chip in since they know when they get their
money back and a return on their investment. Once you have a record of
being able to do it repeatedly you can start a business entirely with
OPM (other peoples money), then walk away after a few years pocketing a
substantial sum in the process ;-)

At least he has the decency to start another business to replaced the
****ed up one...

Hi John

I don't doubt that it's a good thing (TM) for Mr. ScrewStationStartup man -
good for him.

Scenario:

Starting a business, working hard, building it up in its own capacity by
giving customers what they want for a good price, then:

1) Keep exploring what customers want and tuning and maintaining the
business to be the best, possibly expanding overseas;

2) Flog it to the nearest rich tosser who will inevitably **** it up, but
not before a million customers have been shafted in small but additive ways
before the word eventually gets round;

Mine was a gasp of exasperation for the whole state of the socio-economic
situation that favours 2 over 1.

Cue DABS, cue Worldpay, cue a small company I cannot mention due to inside
info, cue every other company that used to be good until it was aquired and
now is a steaming pile of crap.

I don;t know what you do about about it, but it just seems fundamentally
broken.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
2) Flog it to the nearest rich tosser who will inevitably **** it up, but
not before a million customers have been shafted in small but additive ways
before the word eventually gets round;

Bargains to ripoffs is a standard strategy. Start cheap, entice in the
punters, gain market share and brand awareness, push out the competition,
then gradually wind up the prices. You'll lose some customers along the
way, but the ones who can't be bothered to change will mean you get more
profit for less work. And you've increased the barrier to entry so that new
entrants find it hard to compete.

Mine was a gasp of exasperation for the whole state of the socio-economic
situation that favours 2 over 1.

Cue DABS, cue Worldpay, cue a small company I cannot mention due to inside
info, cue every other company that used to be good until it was aquired and
now is a steaming pile of crap.

See eBay, Skype, most banks, phone companies, insurance, etc etc.

I don;t know what you do about about it, but it just seems fundamentally
broken.

It's business. What makes the most profit isn't necessarily the best for
the customers. The company's job is to upset the minimum number of
customers while making the maximum profit.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

It's business. What makes the most profit isn't necessarily the best for
the customers. The company's job is to upset the minimum number of
customers while making the maximum profit.

I would add another method:

**** off your customers after 1,2 or 6 transactions as long as you think
they are a) stupid enough to keep coming back; or b) there are a large
number of "new" customers who you can shaft because there is no quick and
ubiquitous method to check on a company's performance[1]

[1] reviewcentre.com seems like the best bet - you should see the whining
about DABS there - but it is far from being a resource everyone periodically
checks, including me, up until now at least.

Massive, open and rammed-in-your-throat transparancy might be a solution for
the whole problem, but the implementation is non trivial, unless google
start adding a "customer review of the comapany" to all the search results.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 13, 11:42 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Has anyone else heard of Toolstream? I saw a paper catalogue for them
and they were cheaper than Toolstation. I've never ordered from them
so I've no idea about the quality but they seem to sell a lot of
Silverline stuff. According to the catalogue the minimum order with
free delivery is one hundred pounds. I've had a quick look at the
website and it says you need an account to order and that they don't
deal with the public, but if you knew a suitable business owner...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 10:56*am, Chade wrote:

Has anyone else heard of Toolstream? I saw a paper catalogue for them
and they were cheaper than Toolstation.

Has anyone found a supplier that's more expensive than Toolstation,
but sells a better quality product?

I've never had a complaint about Toolstation's prices. I've rarely
bought something that wouldn't cost far more in labour to install or
use it than its measly purchase price. I have though had quite a few
pieces (both tools and components) where I'd happily spend more to get
something a bit better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:47:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Case in point, I flogged a surplus to requirements electric motor on
ebay recently. In the process of getting it to the customer the courier
managed to drop it several times by the looks of what was delivered! I
contacted the company I booked the collection and delivery though
(parcel2go.com) to report this via their web site, and set the claims
procedure in motion. I then got rather concerned because I read a few
review sites pointing out just how bad their customer service was, and
how getting compensation out of them was impossible etc. The reality was
however that the process worked exactly as advertised and they refunded
the full purchase price of the sale, and also credited me with more than
the cost of the original courier fee. Hence the problem of what do you
believe? Was I lucky, have they recently got better, were the reviews
bogus?

Parcels2go were a stinking pile of crap a few years ago who, while
providing a barely acceptable level of service (the bit that was
totally out of their hands was almost perfect) they proceeded to spam
and cold call me ad infinitum.

I wouldn't use them if they were the last courier company on the
planet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 10:56*am, Chade wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:42 am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing.

Has anyone else heard of Toolstream? I saw a paper catalogue for them
and they were cheaper than Toolstation. I've never ordered from them
so I've no idea about the quality but they seem to sell a lot of
Silverline stuff. According to the catalogue the minimum order with
free delivery is one hundred pounds. I've had a quick look at the
website and it says you need an account to order and that they don't
deal with the public, but if you knew a suitable business owner...

AFAIK it's Silverline's sales division selling to retailers/
wholesalers. It's probably far easier to return defective Silverline
junk to Toolsation (and keep your rights under SOGA) than dealing
direct with Silverline. The staff at the local Toolstation told me
the majority of their returns are duff Silverline power tools.

The Silverline/Toolstation owners are brothers, aren't they?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Has anyone found a supplier that's more expensive than Toolstation,
but sells a better quality product?

Have you got a Cromwell nearby? They certainly have a wider range, a bit
more industrial than diy/tradesman, but sometimes handy for something
you would rather collect from a trade counter instead of waiting for
courier delivery ..

Contacting Toolstation Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 10 February 16th 11 03:07 PM
Toolstation v Screwfix neverwas[_3_] UK diy 13 July 4th 09 10:36 AM
Toolstation Reading John Stumbles UK diy 18 September 18th 08 10:07 PM
Toolstation The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 March 15th 06 09:13 PM
TRV from Toolstation Mike UK diy 2 April 22nd 05 07:33 PM