Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolstation v Screwfix

Do the bulk users have views please on the relative price and quality of
Toolstation and Screwfix on "own brand" (or "who dat? brand") items.

I ask because Toolstation have opened c.50m from my local Screwfix.
Manifestly I can compare prices on branded goods they both stock. But
I'll rarely buy enough of more generic stuff to compare value for money
(ie quality and price). Eg I bought 50m of 180 grit alox from
Toolstation today (labelled Silverline) as it was cheaper than
Screwfix's. I can't compare it directly with the one (Mirka?) I bought
from Screwfix a year or more ago and have already finished. And the
new one will last me so long they'll probably both have changed their
brands by the time I buy it again. So are there views please among
those who get through a lot of stuff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 July, 16:02, "neverwas" wrote:

Toolstation and *Screwfix on "own brand" (or "who dat? brand") items.

1st choice (electrics only) TLC. Prices change more quickly, so
copper falls faster in a falling market.

2nd choice (if they have it) Toolstation

3rd choice (for a wider range) Screwfix

4th choice (protective gear) Arco

I'll rarely buy enough of more generic stuff to compare value for money

Blackspur / Forge steel / Siilverline / Lucky Golden Hedgehog is all
IMHO interchangeably low-end.

Eg I bought 50m of 180 grit alox from
Toolstation today (labelled Silverline) as it was cheaper than
Screwfix's. *I can't compare it directly with the one (Mirka?) I bought
from Screwfix *a year or more ago

Only ones I ever buy are Hermes (CSM abrasives) and Mirka. Won't touch
the Silverline. Mirka's a lot better than bucket-shop generic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 2 July, 16:02, "neverwas" wrote:

Toolstation and Screwfix on "own brand" (or "who dat? brand") items.

1st choice (electrics only) TLC. Prices change more quickly, so
copper falls faster in a falling market.

2nd choice (if they have it) Toolstation

3rd choice (for a wider range) Screwfix

4th choice (protective gear) Arco

I'll rarely buy enough of more generic stuff to compare value for money

Blackspur / Forge steel / Siilverline / Lucky Golden Hedgehog is all
IMHO interchangeably low-end.

Eg I bought 50m of 180 grit alox from
Toolstation today (labelled Silverline) as it was cheaper than
Screwfix's. I can't compare it directly with the one (Mirka?) I bought
from Screwfix a year or more ago

Only ones I ever buy are Hermes (CSM abrasives) and Mirka. Won't touch
the Silverline. Mirka's a lot better than bucket-shop generic.

I receive emails from both, lately the Screwfix ones are almost daily
with "special" offers, makes me think they are feeling the pinch!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Bought some straight router bits at a quid each from TS to do some heavy
duty in-situ rebating round a door frame. Thought I was bound to hit
nails so bought four to be on the safe side. The first one lasted all
day and was still giving me a good cut. Don't think there was a Screwfix
equivalent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 4:02*pm, "neverwas" wrote:
Do the bulk users have views please on the relative price and quality of
Toolstation and *Screwfix on "own brand" (or "who dat? brand") items.

I ask because Toolstation have opened c.50m from my local Screwfix.
Manifestly I can compare prices on branded goods they both stock. *But
I'll rarely buy enough of more generic stuff to compare value for money
(ie quality and price). *Eg I bought 50m of 180 grit alox from
Toolstation today (labelled Silverline) as it was cheaper than
Screwfix's. *I can't compare it directly with the one (Mirka?) I bought
from Screwfix *a year or more ago and have already finished. *And the
new one will last me so long they'll probably both have changed their
brands by the time I buy it again. *So are there views please among
those who get through a lot of stuff?

I find toolsatan sometimes cheaper than screwfix, but the quality has
a habit of being lower at times. But its good enough to do the job.
Trouble is TS doesnt have the range SF has.

Silverline stuff is adequate but no more IME, whereas blackspurt et al
I'd always avoid. Toolstation stocks loads of silverline stuff. ISTR
you can get silverline direct from the importer somewhere, never tried
them though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

I thought the ex Screwfix bloke who owns Toolstation (or did before TP
bought it) also owned Silverline?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
NT wrote:
[...]

I thought the big man at TS was the brother of Mr Silverline. (Isn't he
still a major part - thought TP only owned a part.) Leastwise, that's
what they told me in TS last year.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:

I ask because Toolstation have opened c.50m from my local Screwfix.

Same strategy here. The range is narrower than Screwfix, the prices much
better, so it's a no-brainer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the comments

(at least I've got TLC right - but that was an easy choice as I live
within one their van area for free next day delivery)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 9:17*pm, Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
NT wrote:
[...]

....explains why there's so much SL in TS catalogue.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:11:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

NT wrote:
[...]

There probably is a relationship, of some sort, between Toolstation
and Silverline. Silverline is based at Yeovil (can just about see it
from my bedroom window) and the owner of Toolstation, I seem to
remember, started Screwfix in a hut at Yeovil, before selling out to
the B&Q outfit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

NT wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:17 pm, Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
NT wrote:
[...]

Which is exactly why I asked. The staff didn't seem to have a high
opinion of the Silverline stuff... (I shall not be posting the branch as
they have always been very friendly and helpful.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 9:19*pm, Rod wrote:
NT wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:17 pm, Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
NT wrote:
[...]

I dont know which staff youre referring to, but if you mean TS or SF
their word means jack. I learnt not to ask them anything, they mostly
dont have a clue but readily offer dribble-like responses.

No-one has a high opinon of SL, the question is whether its upto the
job or not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

That's my experience too (except not sure there's a quality difference).

The other point is that TS has a minimum order charge of only 10 GBP,
which means that I can happily place small orders without having to save
them up to meet SF's much larger minimum (45 GBP IIRC?)- I'd never place
a 10 GBP order with SF and take a 5 GBP hit for postage. For me that's
quite significant when I haven't got much on diy-wise and am only making
small/occasional purchases.

David

New toolstation website dmc UK diy 7 November 19th 08 10:53 AM
Toolstation Reading John Stumbles UK diy 18 September 18th 08 10:07 PM
FYI - Toolstation offers. The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 October 28th 07 06:02 PM
Toolstation The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 March 15th 06 09:13 PM
TRV from Toolstation Mike UK diy 2 April 22nd 05 07:33 PM