Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default symbols? (and a joke)

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

(and doors and windows etc.)

I'm going to draw up a floorplan of where and what I want re-wired

thanx

p.s. you've all prolly seen this before but made I larf

an amateur built the Ark

perfessionals built the Titanic

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Symbols/Index.htm

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default symbols?

In message on Tue, 12 Apr
2011 14:23:32 +0100
Gill Smith wrote:

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

(and doors and windows etc.)

I'm going to draw up a floorplan of where and what I want re-wired

I use Microsoft Paint for simple electronic schematics. Some of the symbols
came from the internet but it's not too difficult to create your own.

If you use a high zoom level - View/Zoom/Custom - you can easily make some
quite intricate symbols which look really good at normal magnification.

Simply use copy and paste to generate multiple copies of the symbols and draw
the lines between them.

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/11 16:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2011 14:23, Gill Smith wrote:

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

You mean you want to look at some, or you want to download a set for a
particular drawing application?

The best-known diagramming program is Microsoft Visio which comes with
lots of symbol in templates. If you don't want to pay for Visio then
take a look at an open-source program called Dia. It is available in
Linux and Windows.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 12/04/11 16:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2011 14:23, Gill Smith wrote:

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

You mean you want to look at some, or you want to download a set for a
particular drawing application?

The best-known diagramming program is Microsoft Visio which comes with
lots of symbol in templates. If you don't want to pay for Visio then
take a look at an open-source program called Dia. It is available in
Linux and Windows.

Yes, I use Dia and have found it's quite quick to learn well enough to
use for circuit diagrams and such.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Gill Smith wrote:
anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

(and doors and windows etc.)

I'm going to draw up a floorplan of where and what I want re-wired

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Symbols/Index.htm

thankyou

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/04/2011 14:23, Gill Smith wrote:

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

You mean you want to look at some, or you want to download a set for a
particular drawing application?

I'll draw the plans on bits of graph paper and add the details, all by hand

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 12/04/11 16:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/04/2011 14:23, Gill Smith wrote:

anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches

You mean you want to look at some, or you want to download a set for a
particular drawing application?

The best-known diagramming program is Microsoft Visio which comes with
lots of symbol in templates. If you don't want to pay for Visio then
take a look at an open-source program called Dia. It is available in
Linux and Windows.

I might have a go at that if it all gets too messy, trying to get 3D out of
2D

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Tue, 12 Apr
2011 20:03:10 +0100
Gill Smith wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Symbols/Index.htm

thankyou

Take care! On this page,

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ols/PageE6.htm

the symbol shown as 'Slow Operating Relay - Delay On' is actually a Coaxial
Socket.

The 'Slow Operating Relay - Delay On' re-appears on

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ls/PageE10.htm

but as it's not really my field [1], I can't say if that one is really right or
wrong ...

The Rectifier and Inverter symbols on this page:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ls/PageE12.htm

should use THIS symbol '~' to denote AC (as used in some of the other symbols).

[1] My field is electronics, rather than electrical. No doubt, if there are
other errors, somebody with better knowledge in the electrical field will tell
you ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Tue, 12 Apr
2011 20:07:44 +0100
Gill Smith wrote:

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message

The best-known diagramming program is Microsoft Visio which comes with
lots of symbol in templates. If you don't want to pay for Visio then
take a look at an open-source program called Dia. It is available in
Linux and Windows.

I might have a go at that if it all gets too messy, trying to get 3D out of
2D

It might have been helpful if you'd said you wanted a 3D solution in the first
place ...

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Symbols/Index.htm

They look really weird to me. For my own notes I use a
triangle for a socket outlet
square for a switch
circle for a light fitting

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In message on Tue, 12
Apr
2011 20:07:44 +0100
Gill Smith wrote:

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message

The best-known diagramming program is Microsoft Visio which comes with
lots of symbol in templates. If you don't want to pay for Visio then
take a look at an open-source program called Dia. It is available in
Linux and Windows.

I might have a go at that if it all gets too messy, trying to get 3D out
of
2D

It might have been helpful if you'd said you wanted a 3D solution in the
first
place ...

that's a kind of a joke

it'll be 2D

my plan is more of a thumbnail sketch/aide memoire for his costing

I plan to do all the chase ork myself, after I've consulted the electrician

- I'll prolly have to give him a 'consultation fee' as he accompanies me
round the rooms with an aerosol
that will be used to mark out sockets, cable runs etc.

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com

Electrical Symbols. Stuart UK diy 2 March 1st 06 06:58 PM
Cabinetmaker's symbols? [email protected] Woodworking 12 June 1st 05 12:06 AM
Orcad - Placing GND Symbols John Dough Electronics 1 September 26th 04 11:26 AM
Any Idea What The Symbols Mean? Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover Electronics Repair 0 December 8th 03 03:52 PM
Circuit diagram symbols Fred Electronics Repair 1 September 18th 03 04:12 AM